Recruit dad here - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    yes dono i understand that, it wasn't just a warning to you,these are public posts just wanted to throw it out there for people to see so it was loud and clear so some poor bastard at mcrd pi or sd whoever or whenever he may be doesn't gte covered in sand and bitten by some fleas. youre more hip to the game than most parents trust me and im sure someone else in your sons platoons parents will send a letter or make a phone call or do something and your son will thank u for what your NOT doing, i know i did

Christmas Day

Got a phone call today. We were at Christmas Day Mass. I had made sure to sit on the aisle so I could get out in a hurry. Short call. He sounded great. I could hear the recruits sounding off loud in the background. Something brand new - two or three times, he called me "Sir."

Received a letter that he wrote on Christmas Day. Some of you need to...brace yourselves....he was sitting on his footlocker while he wrote and....I said brace yourselves..... watching a MOVIE - The Grinch.

Said his "free time" had been spent catching up or getting ahead. I love it. Said the past week was the most fun - BWT and Table 2.

He's counting the days until the Crucible.

No bracing needed! I was in bootcamp through the holiday's as well and the entire base went to the theatre for Christmas and we watched Black Hawk Down. It's not uncommon for the recruits to get to watch a movie for Christmas. Our DI even had us hang a sock on each rack as a stocking and when everyone woke up in the morning, we all got on line and got to open our present from the DI. We all had a chunk of coal in them...lol. Definitely one of the funnier moments in bootcamp.

The creativity of the DI's is a never ending amazement to me.

I am glad that you wrote that sir. I had the unpleasant experience during my last year on active duty to go to Fort Dix to work with the Army on a "cross-train" with the Drill Sgt. School. It was the most boring and bland 4 months I could imagine. If I were an Army recruit I believe I would have to find a way to go someplace else. When your son is welcomed into the Marine Corps he will have accomplished what very few could. Much of it was due to the ability of the Marine Drill Instructor to adjust and adapt in a split second. NEVER allow down time, every minute is accounted for and some form of training is accomplished. Happy New Year to you sir;
    Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by DIUSMC View Post
    I am glad that you wrote that sir. I had the unpleasant experience during my last year on active duty to go to Fort Dix to work with the Army on a "cross-train" with the Drill Sgt. School. It was the most boring and bland 4 months I could imagine. If I were an Army recruit I believe I would have to find a way to go someplace else. When your son is welcomed into the Marine Corps he will have accomplished what very few could. Much of it was due to the ability of the Marine Drill Instructor to adjust and adapt in a split second. NEVER allow down time, every minute is accounted for and some form of training is accomplished. Happy New Year to you sir;
    Semper Fi.
    You know now that you said that it made me think, there was never a moment in boot camp (that I can remember) where we were just standing around, if we were early for something or waiting on the rest of series or such either we'd be in a school circle around the DI listening to him, learning a new drill movement or the ultimate we'd be in the pit.....there was never a moment when we werent doing something, and even during Square Away Time, there wasnt a moment, we'd be either cleaning rifles, mending uniforms, writing a letter home, or squaring away gear there was never anybody just sitting there relaxing during square away time, it was indeed our time but we had so much to do it was just another hour of work at our own pace.

The Drill Insturctor is still in my mind considered next to Godliness.....theres a quote I heard from my Drill Hat that pretty much somes them up he said "Now I'm not perfect, but I'm a hell of a lot closer than ya'lls!"

Quote Originally Posted by mgkusmc View Post
    You know now that you said that it made me think, there was never a moment in boot camp (that I can remember) where we were just standing around,
    It's good of you to post that. It makes it more real, coming from one who experienced it. I received a letter today, written on the 27th. Said Christmas chow was great and he got full!!

Said they had done the CFT (told me to look that up on leatherneck.com).

I have decided on his graduation gift. I am getting a flag flown over the Capitol on his grad day - January 16, and I'm going to buy a nice case to put it in.

That's an awesome gift! I did something similar for my mother on her birthday but I had it flown over the Government Center in downtown Ramadi...kinda similar I guess...lol

Quote Originally Posted by DIUSMC View Post
    Happy New Year to you sir;
    Semper Fi.
    Happy New Year to you, DI and to ALL who have posted on this thread since October. It's been a great experience for me. All the knowledge and insight has been a great blessing. I'm not a worrier, at all. But, I am curious about what goes on and getting even a general idea has been very helpful.

It's two weeks from today that we will set off - about a seven hour drive. Have my condo rented, supposed to be very near the main gate.

Make sure and take pictures at graduation and post them on here!

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Have a wonderful time with your new Marine! I'm very excited for you and your family. Happy New Year!

Pics will be made and posted everywhere I can. I have one of the recruit already. Not sure about the rules on that. Some boards frown it.

Safe journey to you! You will take loads of pics for sure. It is so amazing! Happy New Year to you!

Hand and foot warmers?

I read on another board that recruits are asking their Mamas to send them hand, foot (and toe?) warmers. That sounds strange to me. I guess I would try to do it, if mine asked (he hasn't).

But, it seems to me that they should be going on what the Corps gives them.

Thread Information