Recruit dad here - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    Don,

It is true, that the guide position for each platoon in bootcamp is highly coveted by all recruits who want to excel and be recognized. It is also true that the Drill Instructors will change the guide on a whim or when ever they feel is appropriate.
    And so it goes. We received his first real letter today (T5). Short, but upbeat - said the pace is crazy, food is good and the week flew by.

He did get fired from Guide and is now a squad leader.

Whatever all that means, one thing for sure, they know his name! And that's OK. He told me before he left that he rejected the suggestion he got from some, to keep the low profile. He said he was going to give it his best effort.

Sundays

I understand that recruits have the choice to attend chapel. And that Sunday is not counted as a training day. But, beyond that, is Sunday different from the rest of the days?

Money question

Maybe premature for a new recruit, but it came to mind, so here's another.

I believe I read that direct deposit of pay is required. And our recruiter said that my son (who will be Reserve) can opt in for full medical with a payroll deduction.

I see on the training matrix that there are several classes on direct deposit. Does this include some financial planning information? I tried to help him learn to manage his money, including saving. He was good at saving for a specific goal - sounds for his car, clothes, ipod, phone, etc. But he hasn't yet seen the wisdom of beginning early to start socking away $$ for 20 - 40 years down the road.

I spent almost 19 years (he's 19 today) trying to tell him that he had a lot to learn. I am so happy that he's now going to get that lesson from the men who have that down.

j/k (a little. He's a fine boy - better than most, imo. But, now gets the chance to be among the best.

Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    I understand that recruits have the choice to attend chapel. And that Sunday is not counted as a training day. But, beyond that, is Sunday different from the rest of the days?
    Yes they do have a choice to go to church and when I was in Sunday's did count as training days. BTW the DI's were as tough on Sunday as any other day and sometimes worse,lol.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    Maybe premature for a new recruit, but it came to mind, so here's another.

I believe I read that direct deposit of pay is required. And our recruiter said that my son (who will be Reserve) can opt in for full medical with a payroll deduction.

I see on the training matrix that there are several classes on direct deposit. Does this include some financial planning information? I tried to help him learn to manage his money, including saving. He was good at saving for a specific goal - sounds for his car, clothes, ipod, phone, etc. But he hasn't yet seen the wisdom of beginning early to start socking away $$ for 20 - 40 years down the road.
    Direct deposit is required and they will help him set up a checking and savings account for direct deposit at a bank or credit union depending on where he goes to boot camp. He cannot use a pre-existing bank account there or elsewhere.

I don't remember the direct deposit class to be honest, but I think it would just explain the basics of how direct deposit works.

There is also a class about Thrift Savings Plan which is the equivalent of a 401K but there is no matching, but on the other hand retirees do get a pension. There are several funds you can buy into here which are managed by the US Dept of Agriculture so the expense ratios are very low. I don't remember what they are though, I think there is a money market, a bond and 3 stock funds.

I think most young people, Marines or not, are a bit myopic when it comes to saving for the long term. I was until I went into the Marines and got my first job with steady income. I started a Roth IRA, created an emergency fund, and bought into a bunch of mutual funds. There were still people who never changed and were broke within days of getting paid for years on end. It was not uncommon to see a 20 year old $20k in debt, partying every weekend and have less than $10 in his bank account 1 week after payday.

I was not an am not financially well off nor independently wealthy. My main priority was that I didn't want to live paycheck to paycheck and later I wanted my transition back to civilian life to be as smooth as possible and not have to worry about my financial situation when the time came.

Good stuff, ecom. I did find the TSP online and it looks like a good option. Of course the main thing is to get started early with something as early in life as possible. And all I can tell him is to consider it. Hopefully, he is smarter that I was, who did not take my Daddy's same advice.

I was asked to post progress reports and I am pleased to say that we receive our second letter today. It was written on Friday, postmarked on Saturday and in my Monday mail.

No griping. Says life at PI is "not that bad." Talked about a lot of drill and classes and getting really sleepy but has not fallen asleep in class. Commented again on the food (good). I'm betting because he is experiencing for the first time in his life being really hungry and not being able to immediately jam something down his pie hole.

Nothing about PT, which I take as a good thing. He left here in very good shape.

Only downer was that he had not received any of my mail. I expect he should have on Saturday, or surely, today.

That is all.

Sometimes mail takes a little bit, for the first 2 weeks on Parris Island I didnt receive any mail and then it started pouring in. And sometimes mail does get delayed down there and other times it gets in quick. I got a letter from my father in Ohio that had been postmarked just the day before. And then there was the letter from my recruiter where it was postmarked the first week of bootcamp and I didnt recieve it till the week of graduation lol. But write every day even if it is nothing important you have to write about, my uncle about the 3rd week of bootcamp started sending my several letters every day and most of the times it was about a commericial he saw on tv or about a day trip to cinncinatti nothing exciting but it let me know the world still moved back home.

I was aware that the mail can be chancy and I believe the recruits was as well. I have mailed one every day since I got his address and I told him that I might run out of news. But. surprisingly, so far I've not had any problem. I copy and paste comics and also jokes I can find on the internet. Also, news about his high school football team who is in the playoffs. And the latest on our beleaguered and beloved Tennessee Volunteers.

Somewhere, I read somebody saying you shouldn't be sending too much mail, because it calls attention to the recruit. That sounded dumb to me; so I ignored that.

Just remember attention is good and you should tell your son this too in your next letter when he finds himself on the quarterdeck getting punished (and he will be on the quarterdeck, every recruit experiences the quarterdeck....some like myself experienced it daily) tell him to just tell himself "Its not a punishment cause it makes me stronger" and its true.

What company is your son in, and maybe some of the guys on the forum can send him some motivational mail.

OH! And one more thing, SAVE every letter he sends you! Trust me it will mean alot to him when he can look back and read them.

I have a box that has every letter I sent home along with every letter I received while in boot and while overseas

Saved they will be. And I write mine on computer and will save them to a jump drive for backup. I appreciate the suggestion to see if some of the fellows might write. But, I'm not sure I'd post it in the forum. I assume we have PM on this board?

Or my e-mail is drw509@embarqmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by mgkusmc View Post
    Just remember attention is good and you should tell your son this too in your next letter when he finds himself on the quarterdeck getting punished (and he will be on the quarterdeck, every recruit experiences the quarterdeck....some like myself experienced it daily) tell him to just tell himself "Its not a punishment cause it makes me stronger" and its true.
    He told me he was rejecting the suggestion that some gave him to keep a low profile, never volunteer and hope they don't know your name. That last one went out the door first day on the Island when he was made Guide.

I do believe his recruiter gave him a very good picture of what to expect. And as I said above, he reported in very good shape. He said his last IST before he left was 2 points shy of a perfect score, whatever that means.

And yes - I am passing on all the good input I am getting from this board. It is much appreciated.

That link did not work. I know what the IST is - a set of exercises with standards, I just was not sure of the exact numbers and what a near "perfect" score means. And, as always, thanks to all who read my stuff and answer back. I appreciate it.

Thread Information