Recruit dad here - Page 21
Create Post
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast
    He's on the west coast, in his words, beginning the five day California super diet; aka S.E.R.E. training. Of course, I had to search the net to see what I could learn. He has been very closed mouth, like he is supposed to be.

He got married to a woman he met when he was at TBS. She was a student at American U. in Washington. He bought a house in New Bern and got a good deal on a F-150 from a Marine headed to Oki. He is chomping at the bit to get back in the seat.

The T-45 problems has slowed the training pipeline; but it looks like Ben will get underway with Harrier training in the next week or so. He went ahead and got his FAA licenses and has already checked out with a local operation so he can rent a plane. Said flying a Cessna was surprisingly hard after the time lapse from Pensacola.

Perhaps the mods can move your post to the poolee forum.

Finally got in the Harrier the Thursday before Christmas. Said the acceleration felt like "half a cat shot." He is super excited looking ahead and is well and truly over not getting F-18 in Cali. Had second flight just before New Year.

Had a quick visit here and a side trip to the NC mountains. His bride got her first experience on skis.

awesome, glad he is doing well...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post

Thursday before Christmas.
    Said the acceleration felt like "half a cat shot."

He is super excited
    looking ahead
    and is well and truly over not getting F-18 in Cali.

Had second flight just before New Year.

*His bride got her first experience on skis.*
    I blushed when you said that .......(Teasing)

Half a Catipult Shot ?????

Ben is about halfway through Harrier syllabus. Solo a couple weeks ago. Availability of jets is a continuing obstacle. (Not OPSEC Deficit of flying ours is publicly acknowledged).

Otherwise, he is loving every bit of it.

Ben has been flight training for over three and a half years. Hard to believe how in WW2, the were putting kids in planes after just a few weeks. Next big thing is a training detachment to Yuma at the end pf the month for about a month of intense flying He is looking forward to that - seat time has been rare ar Cherry Point. Plan is for him to finally join the fleet squadron in February. Than would make over four years of training. He picked up Captain last month.

Captain, that's awesome, tell him well done and we are pulling for him.
    also not to forget to get his Camyed cover for his flight helmet to identify with the grunts on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    Captain, that's awesome, tell him well done and we are pulling for him.
    also not to forget to get his Camyed cover for his flight helmet to identify with the grunts on the ground.
    No danger of his forgetting that.

Credits
    Savings
    10-31-08, 06:09 AM #1
    dono

Marine Family Free Member
    Join Date Oct 2008
    Location Johnson City
    Posts 169

Don
    Congratulations to you ,your family,
    and least of all, your son,
    The Marine.

Had this been a shaggy dog tale,
    none of us would have paid attention
    this long -

I just had to go back to when this thread
    started-

I am glad to have seen and listened about
    your sons efforts progressing to where he is.

Also glad you'd taken the time to share.

Uh -Rah ! Don

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post

I just had to go back to when this thread
    started-

I am glad to have seen and listened about
    your sons efforts progressing to where he is.

Also glad you'd taken the time to share.

Uh -Rah ! Don
    Thank you kindly. As I have said before, I am grateful for this board and the input that y'all made. Esp in the early days, when I knew pretty much nothing, It was easy for me to keep it going. So, a quick update - Captain is almost finished with flight training. He's finishing up a Weapons det in Yuma and is having a great time with it. End of year he has a bunch of leave to use up; then early in 2019, he should go to a Harrier squadron at MCAS Cherry Point. As for the future, I can't know if there will be much of interest that I will be able to post. But, again, I appreciate the board very mucg

Ben reported to the fleet in June, remaining at Cherry Point with VMA-542. The transition has been a little slow. The squadron is deploying later this year and their training began before he reported, so he does not go But, he has been getting more hours and has just received his first responsibility (besides getting trained) as an officer. He will be logistics officer. From what he tells me, it is very much OJT, but the former Marine in that slot is still there, and hopefully a resource.

Though he won't deploy, he will be participating in about a two month training exercise in Yuma later this year. One more thing I have learned is that Aviators in the fleet continue to train and acquire new skills that qualify them for all the different missions they are called upon the perform. One other new thing...the daily grind is indeed that. He had a 14 hour day on Thursday; then a mandatory squadron "fun day" at the beach.

Again. all things considered, he loving the life and taking full advantage of it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I worked out of the S-4 (logistics) shop in Vietnam with VMA-211. Our S-4 was a captain, an A-4 pilot, and a former Sgt in Amtracks. He was an attentive S-4, but depended a lot on his S-4 chief, a gunny (who was very good at logistics stuff). The S-4 had to fly two combat hops a day on average, so he was pretty busy outside of the shop and had no choice but to depend on his gunny. Luckily, he had a good one.

So, if your son has a good S-4 chief, there is a big resource to learn from and lean on when busy with pilot stuff.

Being a Mustang, he knows all about the NCO's and has none of the "know-it-all" attitude. He's wrapping that big west coast exercise and looking forward to hetting back to home base ASAP.

Thread Information