Recruit dad here - Page 17
Create Post
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
    Not to worry Dad, it simply means that falling asleep with a mouth full of sunflower seeds is just about impossible. If it happens the choking will wake you up most of the time. Internest duty has taken the place of "phone watch" in many commands. Glad to hear that the Marine has adjusted well to the life.

Sounds like hes getting settled in nicely, there Dad. I'm sure you'll get more communications from him as he settles in more. Best of luck to your Marine.

Semper Fi,

Iraq sure has changed since I been there....

Been a while since I posted. Ben's deployment is winding down. He expects to return to Pendleton in a month, spend some time there and then back home. He was unclear about deactivation - he did mention that he might be back in Tennessee on active status for a time.

His daily routine has been, well, routine. 8 hour shifts on duty with the rest of the day free. He did get selected for some extra duty when the Commondant visited recently. It was good duty; and I guess that's all I need to say about that.

I stay in touch with him via Facebook and skype. He called home on Christmas Day.

Sounds Good! Seems like hes made a very good impression there. Outstanding. Hope you get to see your Marine soon, Dad.

Semper Fi and Happy New Year!

Back home

The Marine returned home on 19 Feb at app 1700 - in outstanding condition. The deployment was shortened by a couple of months. His unit will hear on tomorrow about the duration of their activation.

Once again, it is an awesome thing to see the change in him. They took a good boy and sent home a fine man!

Was your son with 3/24? Had a bunch of buddies with them that just got back too.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwarrior17 View Post
    Was your son with 3/24? Had a bunch of buddies with them that just got back too.
    He was. But he attached to an H & S company out of St Loius while he was over there.

Dono.... how is your Marine?

I have a son in MCRD SD. I enjoyed reading the 17 pages, and wondered how your son is doing since your Feb. 10 post

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    OK. Here goes. We received the form letter with address on Wednesday. There is space for a note and he wrote, "I'm guide."

I told that to a Marine I work with and he rather dismissed it. Said, "One day the DI hired and fired the guide every two hours." Our recruiter, otoh, was very pleased and excited when I told him about it.

So, I guess I need to ask what gives with this? How is that position assigned? What is the job description?
    The guide is the head recruit. He is in charge and leads other recruits, but not in the same sense that the drill instructors do. Yes, he can get hired and fired in less than two hours time. Drill Instructors see leadership qualities in folks and assign them jobs. If they handle it...good, if not, they get fired. I was a squad leader for 10 minutes. Scratched my nose in a school circle and got fired. No big deal as I was already the HOUSE MOUSE and had enough to do with that job.

Those who do well at guide end up with a stripe out of basic for sure. It can be a pain in the ass job. I never was one. We had a giant kiss ass for our guide in bootcamp. 20 months out I saw the same guy in Korea and I was a stripe ahead of him.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DIUSMC View Post
    Mailing anything to a Marine Recruit is a bad idea, very bad idea. You have to trust the fact that the Marine Corps is giving thier recruits everything that they are going to need to get through the training. The "package" from home makes the sender feel like they are helping but they are not. When they are in the FMF trust me ALL packages from home will be appreciated much more.
    WE used to do ten pushups for letters written on the outside of the mail we would get from our girlfriends that was not "address" related. For me I got 140 pushups when my girlfriend wrote on the back, "I love you so much".

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by dono View Post
    I understand that recruits have the choice to attend chapel. And that Sunday is not counted as a training day. But, beyond that, is Sunday different from the rest of the days?

Sunday was "fukk-fukk" day for my platoon after we came back from the chapel. If you were atheist, you got fire watch until everyone else got back from the chapel. Generally no training except PT organized on the quarterdeck by the duty drill instructor who got bored. Our worst Sunday was the one where we had lost the initial drill competition in the most prolific way- butt naked last of all the platoons in our series. After chapel and lunch it was on....7-8 recruits on the quarterdeck at a time doing PT, slugging down canteens of water until we puked, and then doing it again once it was our turn...from after lunch until just before dinner. We WON final drill...hell yes we did.

Quote Originally Posted by bonbon View Post
    I have a son in MCRD SD. I enjoyed reading the 17 pages, and wondered how your son is doing since your Feb. 10 post
    Thought I might just post an update on my Marine's current status. Has now three years in and just picked up Corporal. Has begun process for PLC - completed initial PFT and testing last week. He applied for Aviation

He's in second year at the local university, with about a 3.8 GPA and working two jobs. Has his own apartment and a paid off car and motorcycle.

Pretty good for a 21 year old, I gotta say. About a million miles ahead of me when I was 21.

Got word that he is accepted for PLC. First session at Quantico after semester end - in May I think.

First six week increment at Quantico completed. He ranked 4th in class - three other prior service finished ahead. But, he was pleased with 4th because he did not have to do anything for the graduation ceremony. He scored his first 300 pft and was really proud of that !

Thread Information