Infantry MOS's and Retirement
Create Post

Infantry MOS's and Retirement

How come it seems that around here (and just about every other Infantry Marine I talk to) in an infantry/grunt MOS's has retired from the Corps after only 4 years? Is it stress? No room for promotion? Concerns?Pain?

Im just curious, im sure every Marine has his/her reason's but I would think that most people would want to make a semi career out of the USMC

Thanks

You mean that they got out after their 4 year enlistment. It takes at least 20 years to retire unless it's a medical.

Some people are simply ready to move on after their first tour.
    Others never want to leave.
    The rest of us are in the middle. We leave, but wished we didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2 View Post
    You mean that they got out after their 4 year enlistment. It takes at least 20 years to retire unless it's a medical.

Some people are simply ready to move on after their first tour.
    Others never want to leave.
    The rest of us are in the middle. We leave, but wished we didn't.
    Thats what I meant, sorry

tired of living outside, bodys tired, then after you are out wish didn't get out, you miss it

Did Twenty as an Grunt and even stayed with the grunts as a First Sergeant. Now put back together in various places with plates, screws and plastic, but would not have changed any of it.

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine

S/F
    Finger

As was stated earlier, by Federal Law it takes a minimum of 20 years service in Active Duty to retire "normally"...but since 9/11 and the various campaigns, there have been a LOT of medical retirements.

When I was at 2nd TSB, I had got there just as they were returning from their deployment to Iraq....and there were quite a few severe medical cases.

The only one I really remember is a young LCpl. I don't know what the medical condition is, but basically, when a person gets truly terrified a portion of their hair will turn stark white. This poor kid had a 1" wide patch of white hair. I was reading his medical papers etc. and it had Medical Retirement, 100%, PTSD on his MedBoard.

Thread Information