Med float experiences
Create Post

Med float experiences

Now I know I posted this before and people have been viewing just not commenting. I am really interested in knowing about Med floats and what generally happens on them. Maybe someone here has been on one or knows about them. I just want to know places I may see or what it's like on a ship for six friggin months besides hearing that it sucks. I know it's going to suck, I just want to know some of the benefits!

I went on 2 Westpac floats and 1 float to Pearl Harbor. While I wasn't on a Med float I can tell you that all Floats are basically the same. Before your ship actually goes out to sea, your unit will do many workups training with the MEU doing beach landings from ship to shore. Once aboard ship, you have no job and nothing to do except pt and clean weapons unless you are a Cook, MP, or Armorer. An Armorer would man the ship's armory. An MP patrolls the ship alongside the Squid Master at Arms, and a Cook would work the galley with the other Squid Cooks. You may get tasked with mess duty and you will play field day games cleaning your bearthing area with close supervision from your NCO's.

Every 30 days or so, you will hit a port for liberty where you will blow your hard earnings on booze and women or you will go out on cross training missions in the field with foreign armies. The MEU will be classified as Special Operations Capable and it may get tasked on actual missions such as Embassy Evacuations and so forth. You may get to augment existing units in hotspots such as Iraq or Afghanistan if required. The MEU is the nations 911 and will get deployed where it's needed.

Here is some advice. Use the ship's gym and workout with weights and read books from the library. You will have lot's of free time and you might as well build up your body and mind or it will be a total wasted time. College classes taught by Officers are also available aboard ship. Save your money. You will build up your savings account because not much money can be spent aboard ship except on pogey bait. Don't go blowing it on every port you go to. My first float, I went buckwild at all liberty ports and had to be dragged to ship with a belly full of liquor and empty pockets. On my second float, I was able to save about $7000 and was able to use that for starting a new life once I got out of the Corps.

If you are an Air Winger, you will work alongside your Squid counterparts on the Flightdeck with Jets and Helos. You will also get tasked for working parties for the ship for dumping garbage, replenishing supplies such as food and so forth. You may be part of the World's largest human chain transporting crap to and from the ship to wherever the supplies need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by willjr75 View Post
    If you are an Air Winger, you will work alongside your Squid counterparts on the Flightdeck with Jets and Helos. You will also get tasked for working parties for the ship for dumping garbage, replenishing supplies such as food and so forth. You may be part of the World's largest human chain transporting crap to and from the ship to wherever the supplies need to go.
    Thank you for the information. I am in fact working with VFMA-312 as their S-1. So I'm sure this will be an interesting experience for me...I went from being attached to a non-deployable IPAC to this. I'm hoping I enjoy it. Since I love the gym that part should work out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by moto83 View Post
    Since I love the gym that part should work out fine.
    Then get used to waiting.
    The only time that it was worth going to the gym was 0200-0300. Other then that it was full and you had to wait, there was a class and the gym was closed,or it was being cleaned.

This was on an LHA/LHD.

Most guys went and ran the ramps (gets old quick), did calisthenics in the hanger bay/well deck (time of day permitting), or did grappling in the hanger bay (time of day permitting and borderline sexual harassment when females are participating).

It's so easy to get in trouble on a ship, take it from me I was in trouble just about every day for two months. You get lazy and bored and start overlooking the small things which can turn into big things. Take books, video games, movies, IPOD and whatever else you can to combat the boredom. You'll be all motivated to be on there at first but after the first week of eating the same thing or watching the same movies over and over again, all you'll want to do is see land. It wasn't all bad though, most of the Navy females were pretty cool and I made some pretty good friends.
    The best part about being on a ship...LIBERTY.

Quote Originally Posted by THAT AINT IT View Post
    It's so easy to get in trouble on a ship, take it from me I was in trouble just about every day for two months. You get lazy and bored and start overlooking the small things which can turn into big things. Take books, video games, movies, IPOD and whatever else you can to combat the boredom. You'll be all motivated to be on there at first but after the first week of eating the same thing or watching the same movies over and over again, all you'll want to do is see land. It wasn't all bad though, most of the Navy females were pretty cool and I made some pretty good friends.
    The best part about being on a ship...LIBERTY.
    I am going to elaborate on this.

Don't take to many books. The ship has a library where you can get books, and you can trade off with other Marines.

I wouldn't bring a console (Xbox, PS3, etc) but I would bring a computer.
    It is good for writing counseling sheets, using the calendar for long term planning/training schedules, making Powerpoint presentations, and having Field Manuals, MCO's, and general knowledge in .pdf format.
    When you aren't working it is useful for music for your IPod, movies, and video games.
    Make sure you have a USB thumb drive!

PM me for more details on the type of software/games that are useful on deployment.

The IPod was worth the $300 I spent on it before deployment.

Get it in your head now: Don't follow the supplement craze that hits Marines when they get on ship.

Use the time to do MCI's.

Thread Information