Spit Shine - still can!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spit Shine - still can!

Just a late brag, but for my older daughter's wedding this summer I pulled out my dress shoes (wingtips, I'm a full civvie for 15 years now) and realized that they'd never had more than a brush shine.

So I went and got a new set of spitshining gear (fresh polish, a new lighter, etc.) and spent three days breaking down the polish and giving them a basic spitshine. They needed more work before they'll be "Inspection Ready", but sitting out on the deck explaining what I was doing to my younger daughter, soaking in the smells and having a couple-a beers...

It brought back memories of school at Camp Pendleton: sitting out on the squadbay's outside ladderway smokin', jokin' and working on getting inspection boots ready. Made me feel young again!

Oh, and I found a really good substitute for a soft handkerchief to do the wax with (couldn't find decent hankies anywhere) - baby booties. The extra-soft kind they sell to keep infants from scratching or chewing their toes.

Anyway, just felt like sharing that little flashback.

Semper fi, y'all!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I always use a hunk of a standard issue white t-shirt. I never found anything that worked better for me. Some swear that the final buff should be done with wadded up nylon stocking. After your first couple coats .... put them on and walk around then buff them with a boot brush. Final shine will come out stellar.

I sucked at spit shipshining. I always cheated and used one of those shine sponges. I don't think they even shine boots any more with the new roughed out boots.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    SSgt Maddox (Madsox),
    I'm not a Marine but I used to use, because I had this resource available, old cotton diapers to spread on the shinola and then, as a finishing touch, used any available at the time, nylon stocking to buff. Note: Make sure that the nylon stocking you use was going to get sh*tcanned by the woman it belonged to. LOL.
    I've also set the shinola on fire and then started my spit shine using the melted shinola.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Cool water in the kiwi lid to harden the wax,,,,Ah, memories. And I do remember thost fake shine pads,,,cheater.

Good for you SSgt Madsox! It does bring back memories! I still spit shine my shoes and boots and I've been out for, well, way to long to think about. Setting the paste on fire and using a little water in the lid. I still use handkerchiefs, but the booties sound like something I might try. I never did use pads or spray on stuff, nothing beats the real thing as far as I am concerned. Even if something else might look better, (not sure how that is possible), doing it the old school way simply makes me feel good!

How much you charge for shine Joe

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "Shave and a haircut,,,2 bits" I was shinin shoes in the bars when I was 6,,,,after dark,, with my parents support,,Made good money,,,, My first job,,, Things were different.

Ah, memories!! I still spit shine my "40 lb wing tips". Don't do the burn thing or the pad thing - - just cool water in the Kiwi lid and a hankie or other soft cotton cloth. I never, never use nylons on my shoes. Seems I can always see the "burn marks" from the nylon in the polish.

When my Grampa was still alive, it was always my job to spit shine his shoes on each visit. Made me feel good cause the shoes looked great and he always bragged on me to others.

My boy is at his Young Marine Drill right now, Wearing Dad's Parris Island issued "Black Cadillac" Drill boots from '92. I had them re-soled before I got out. For Years I only pulled them out to shovel snow. Well Boy's, They are brought back to life and lookin' better than ever! I'm not BS'ing Marines! I got them baby's shining like glass again. And I mean the WHOLE boot not just the toes, I only ever use or used a white t-shirt, polish and water! kind of like waxing a car, and the final buff is just a dab of water on the rag, make's them shine like glass!.........Remember, You gotta make love to the leather!

Hey Sarge, I bet Grandpa is still bragging on you to someone, somewhere!!

Last edited by PFC Horse; 10-15-08 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by bucksgted View Post
    When my Grampa was still alive, it was always my job to spit shine his shoes on each visit. Made me feel good cause the shoes looked great and he always bragged on me to others.
    That's Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak View Post
    .........Remember, You gotta make love to the leather!
    Yeppers - - kinda like squeezing a rifle trigger - - squeeze it like it was your girlfriend's tit! LMAO

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Cool water in the kiwi lid to harden the wax,,,,Ah, memories.
    I remember doing something you have! This is scarey

hhmmm wonder if my hoof buffer "buffy" with the cotton drum attachment on the cordless DeWalt would expedite high gloss on top grain leather?

Thread Information