Command of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing changes
Create Post

Exclamation Command of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing changes

Command of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing changes
    Comments | Recommend
    October 22, 2008 - 8:14PM
    By Drew C. Wilson
    Freedom ENC

HAVELOCK -Command of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing changed hands Wednesday morning.

With a backdrop of aircraft and more than 500 Marines, Brig. Gen. Robert S. Walsh, commander since May, gave the colors to Maj. Gen. James F. Flock.

Flock served as the wing's commander in 2002 and 2003 leading up to the war in Iraq. Walsh will serve as Flock's assistant commander and will then deploy next year as commander of the 2nd Marine Air Wing forward in Iraq.

In his remarks to those attending, Walsh called eastern North Carolina "a great place to live and to train."

"It's a great wing, and I'm very proud to have been a part of it," Walsh said.

He credited those who serve under him.

"These colonels that I've got that stay in their lanes, that have been doing it for 20 years, make my job very, very easy," Walsh said. "They're so very good at what they do. As far as fully trained and best led, you will not find a better group of commanders.

"The Marines that we've got here are the next best generation we've got. They will water your eyes. We would not be anywhere without these great American Marines."

Walsh also gave credit to Flock.

"I would not be here without your leadership," he said.

Flags flew, the wing band played and Marines marched and snapped salutes during the 90-minute ceremony, which included representation from wing squadrons based at Cherry Point, New River and Beaufort, S.C.

Flock will have about 15,000 Marines in his command.

During the ceremony, Flock made special mention of his family, including his father, a former Marine who served in Korea.

"He was the one person I looked up to in becoming a Marine," he said.

Flock said that the wing has played a key role in the nation's fight against terror and that many Marines had paid the ultimate price to keep America safe.

"We as a nation have been willing to pay the price in the name of freedom," Flock said. "The Marine Corps has been there all the way. We fight as a nation and we win battles."

Turning to the hundreds of Marines standing before him, Flock said they had "performed brilliantly."

"I have complete confidence in you," he said.

Flock was highly complimentary of Walsh in leading the 2nd Marine Air Wing. The two men have known each other since the 1970s and have a history that Flock wasn't ready to completely share.

"I know how ‘Whaler' (Walsh) got his call sign, but I can't tell you because he knows how I got mine," joked Flock, whose call sign is "Flocker."

Flock is a graduate of the Naval War College and holds a degree in national security and strategic studies. He has about 4,900 flight hours in combat military aircraft, including the F-4 Phantom and the FA/18 Hornet.

Ellie

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	k960o3-nb1023wingchangeofcommand.jpg‎
Views:	105
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	6042  

Thread Information