October 23, 2008
Jr. ROTC members troop toward history

Denise Goolsby
The Desert Sun

Close to 100 Desert Hot Springs High School Marine Corps Junior ROTC members, clad in military fatigues, marched in formation along Pierson Boulevard on Wednesday morning.

The group, moving in sync to a steady cadence of “left, left, left, left,” made its way from the high school to Sidewinder Cafe and Grill, 66121 Pierson Blvd., for a breakfast sponsored by retired Marines living throughout the Coachella Valley.

After breakfast, the group was scheduled to board buses for a field trip to the Gen. George S. Patton Memorial Museum in Chiriaco Summit for a lesson in military history.

“We're going to see what he did,” said Cadet Sgt. Major Jesus Cazarez, 16, one of the group's platoon commanders. “We're going to learn about him, what he did and what made him famous.”

The group's leader, retired Master Sgt. Mark Coates, said the focus of the ROTC program is to teach kids about Marine Corps tradition and history and how to be good people.

“I put in 26 years in the Marine Corps, and now I get to pass it down to the next generation,” he said.

“We focus a lot on instilling core values of honor, courage, commitment and leadership,” he added.

Cadet Sgt. Major and platoon commander Russell Elliott, 17, has been a member of the school's Junior ROTC program for four years.

“I like the discipline and the atmosphere,” Russell said. “It's like a brotherhood. I want to serve my country, too.”

The experience inspired him to pursue a career in the military.

He was sworn in to the Navy on Monday. He said he'll begin serving in September 2009.

Coates said there are 108 students in the ROTC program and the interest is growing.

“A lot of parents are insisting their kids take it,” he said.

Photos

http://www.mydesert.com/apps/pbcs.dl...ctionCat=RSS22

Ellie