New to Here
Create Post

Thread: New to Here

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

New to Here

Hello all,

I would like to introduce myself. I am Leticia. I have been looking at this site for about a week now. I have looked over every post in the poolee and mentor forum and I have gained a wealth of knowledge and have come up with questions that I did not see answered and not from lack of trying. I have been looking into the Marine Corps for some years so I have looked at many other sites on things about them along with reading books on the subject. So now I come to where I ask my questions. I know if I go to a recruiter they will answer them for me. But becasue of my work schedule it is not too easy right now. but I am also looking into that too. See I have moved too many times that if I try to go to a recruiter I would end up having to find a new one since I move too far. Well here are my questions please answer them as best as possible and if you know of a web site or such that can give me the answers better I thank you. I know I have a few so take your time answering them.

1. When looking into the max age to enlist I have come across on other places ages like 27, 28, 29, 31, & 34. I want to know what is the max age and at what point do you need an age waiver?

2. I know they don't train as many women as men but I was wondering if any one knew what an average time is from the time you complete the enlistment process to when you leave for boot camp? I know that it can very just wondering

3. I have been looking into going back to school to finish my degree. I plan on doing that once I join. The only thing is it will be through distance learning that way I don't have to worry about taking time off if I am stationed away from the school. I was wondering should I hold off on applying til I have joined? What eduction benifits would I get towards this? I also have some school loans will I be able to get help paying them off too?

4. I have needed to have major dental work done and I know you can't go to boot camp with braces would I be able to get them once I am in?

5. I currently have a GED and I know you need so many college credit if you have a GED. I currently have about 30 semeter credits would I be able to get a higher rank even though I have a GED?

6. I believe I was diagnosed with depression when I was a really young child (like 4-5 y.o.) then when I was in HS had some more issues with it. I was in the hospital for it but (toatly against my wishes as I was under 18) I am not sure if I was ever rediagnosed or what and since I don't remember the Dr.'s name nor do I live in that city anymore how would that affect my enlisting?

7. I moved from CA to MN almost 8 years ago. I don't have any of my medical records nor do I remeber the names of my doctors would I need any of those records?

8. I was born on Guam (as my Dad was in the Air Force there) I only have a copy of my birth certificate that was issued by the Naval Hospital will that suffice? Both parents are american.

9. What if after boot camp you don't want to go home on leave do you have to? Can you go staight to your MOS school? If that is not possible what happens to you during the inbetween time?

That is all the questions I have for now. I do plan on calling a recruiter I know where there is one close to me. But I just wanted these questions answered right now. Any other I have once I get a recruiter I will ask them and if they can't answer I will post them here. Thank you all for your time at looking at this I know it is alot to ask but take your time.

I saw ya readin' all of those posts, darlin'. I knew you'd have some brain twisters for us when ya got done! LOL. I could answer a couple of your questions myself, but most of them can only be answered by a recruiter. I'll give SixGuns a heads up and I know he'll have better responses for ya than I would.

Credits
    Savings
    Yea I know I get home from work and come here and start reading next thing I know its about 4am and I haven't been to bed yet. But I must say that there truley is alot of info out there. I have a huge list of sites that you posted I haven't even gotten through all of those yet but I am starting on them.

Yep. We take a bit of pride in all of the info, links and references on this site! If a person pays attention, they'll be way ahead when they get to recruit training no matter what MOS they choose! Knowledge is power and that is especially true in the Corps. The more ya know and understand, the better off you and yer troops'll be.

I'd look for an answer from SixGuns sometime tomorrow, darlin'. He's our local expert and better qualified to answer most of yer questions than I am. Ya got some interesting twists there. SiuxGuns'll know how to help ya.

I don't have any answers ...
    Just wanted to welcome you!

Jess

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In response to your questions:

1. You must be able to enter training before your 29th birthday. After this date requires an age waiver. The highest I have seen is for a 34-year old.

2. Varied. Usually, DEP time is three to nine months. Sometimes shorter or longer depending on your own situation.

3. Wait to enroll in schooluntil you are a Marine. There are some great financial benefits to waiting. Like letting the Corps pay 100%.

4. You will get a full dental examat training. Any needed work will be scheduled orevaluated for future treatment. You can get braces later and they are free if they are deemed necessary by Navy medical folks.

5. With 15 credits you are a Tier I for our education evaluation system. You can be promoted to PFC if you have a full semeter, usually 15 credits, with a 2.5 GPA or higher. All credits must be course catalogue numbers 100 or higher.

6. If you received treatment, MEPS will want to see records. Contact family members etc. to see if they remember the doctor's name or facility where you were treated.

7. You will only need to identify the location of the records. Your recruiter can assist in getting copies of the records for you.

8. See #7. Your recruier can contact local Marines in Guam to get a State issued Birth Verification/Certificate.

9. Leave is yours to use or lose. You can go right to your MOS training and save the leave days for the future. Most folks want a break after recruit training.

I'd be more than happy to discuss your situation in further detail. Let me know if I can help.

SF,

SIXGUNS

Last edited by Sixguns; 05-28-03 at 08:33 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    SIXGUNS,

Yes I would like some more help. I would prefer to discuss stuff in regards to question 6 in private so you can either pm me or email me at ladydiamond75@yahoo.com. I look forward to talking to you.

Leticia

Credits
    Savings

Smile

Jess,

Thanks for welcoming me. I have read alot of your posts and let me say I wish I had your knowledge and grace at your age. It just takes some of us a little longer to gain those traits.

Leticia,
    You're quite welcome for the welcome. This is our future home ... we might as well move in now.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Lady D,

I will try to connect with you to assist you in your quest to become a Marine. Send me a PM or message to let me know how I can help.

SIXGUNS

Thread Information