USMC dress cover. - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    You are welcome.

I had forgotten to mention but Bdchi1 had, was that we would have to wash the cloth cover at least once or twice a week in order to to keep it clean. Unlike Bdchi1 I was not a member of the marching companies but was assigned to MCI Company. I marched in three NCO Parades and was the Time Orderly/Flag Popper for both the Evening Parades and the Sunset Parades during my time at 8th and I (1986 - 1989).

Also, we bought cloth covers one size smaller than the cover frame for it to fit even tighter (example: frame = 6-1/4; cover = 6-1/8). That, and assembling it while still wet and allowing it to dry made it tight as a drum. I used to have an adapter for my clothes dryer that was a little shelf designed for tennis shoes to sit on (to keep them from tumbling) that I would place my assembled cover on and let it dry in the dryer.

You had mentioned you were enlisted 30 years ago - sounds like you were in during the time was.

I noticed that the photos uploaded to this website are small - would you like me to email the full size copies directly to you? If so just give me the address and I will send them ASAP.

You bet!Being overseas it's now 0215 A.M. so I need to hit the rack!I'm 60 years OLD today.It sucks.My email is peder.g@telia.com

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Did you ever get a reply on how to achieve the 8th &I look on your dress blues cover

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milobc View Post
    Did you ever get a reply on how to achieve the 8th &I look on your dress blues cover
    this is almost 4 years old!

No pics,sorry.

Though this is an old post I see fespar is still here. As an MP back in 67 we styled our MP white barracks covers differently in that we went with the sea going crease (old school Marine Corps). It's actually very different and easier to get this old salt look.

We only used the white cloth covers because in my time there was no plastic or patten leather. We bought a white barracks cover that fit our heads. Next you need to purchase a wire frame grommet "2 to 3" sizes too big for the cover. Wash the white cover several times (We did this by hand with scrub brushes and soap) and you'll assemble the cover while the white cloth is still wet or damp. Also spit shine the visor to the frame.

With your oversize grommet only $3.00

http://www.marineshop.net/browse.cfm...LL&sortby=NAME

you'll find the part that attaches to the frame is bent away from the round part of the grommet.
    Name:  grommet.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  1.1 KB
    You'll want to bend this part so that it is in line with the "ring" of the grommet. You want the grommet to look like a circle without the the metal attachment piece hanging down. Now take the grommet and pull the back toward the front and place the cloth cover over the grommet matching the hole where the EGA will go, then push the back of the grommet into the back of the cloth and because of the oversize of the grommet you will see an arching of the grommet and the cloth cover.

Now, do not bend, just pull down the attachment bar (the part you pushed up previously) at the front of the grommet and you will notice a strong resistance, that's what you want. Stick the attachment bar into the slot at the front of the frame and pull the sides of the cloth cover over the rest of the frame, it should fit snugly and with the cloth cover being damp it will stretch. Make sure your hands are clean as you want no dirt or grease on the cover making it dingy.

You now have a sea going crease where the front of the grommet will stick straight up like a german SS officer and the top will no longer be flat as it will curl in an arch. This is old school Marine Corps which you will not see anymore.

Back in 84 I helped my one of my X nephews with his cover when he went to the ball that year. He was still on active duty and he was a little afraid to wear it because he said the MC had out lawed the crease. He wore it anyway. He said no one said anything to him till his regimental commander walked over to him and asked him why he was wearing a restricted and outlawed cover. He told the Coronal what I told him to say if he was questioned, he said he was wearing it in honor of his uncle. The coronal asked who his uncle was and my nephew told him my background. The Coronal than told him "very well, only for tonight, and I never want to see it again." My the MC has changed. Hope this helps.

Sounds like a 50 mission dip to me.

Thread Information