Recovered from shin splints; Shipping 20081027
Create Post

Recovered from shin splints; Shipping 20081027

Hi,

Just looking for informed opinions from those who've run the gauntlet. I've been recovering from shin splints for the past 2-3 months. I'm in otherwise excellent shape; cardiovascular/metabolic conditioning is not an issue at this point, insofar as I feel I can handle a PFT without incident.

The issue primarily is with my legs. Having just recently recovered from my shin splints, I have not had much time to "ramp up" to running distances again. In fact, my recruiters have discouraged running at all until I ship. Though I've continued to exercise during my recovery (rowing, weights, etc.), I haven't done any running over 400m in over 2 months.

My concern is that without any considerable "ramp up" prior to Recruit Training, that the shock of running PT might cause my shin splints to flare up again and send me off to MRP -- something I'd prefer to avoid, obviously.

Can I expect the PT at Recruit Training to take this into account (not my particular situation, but the potentially "unfit" recruit in general), and ramp up? Generally how does the running PT progress through Recruit Training? How long are the routine cadence runs? How quickly are the distances built up?

My recruiters are confident in my physical fitness and my capacity to handle things once I get there, but I'm still not 100% convinced as far as my shins go.

The goal ultimately was to not leave injured. I think I've accomplished that goal so far. The new goal is to not get injured once I get there, and I'm just trying to gauge whether or not I should postpone my ship date in order to get the legs conditioned to the impact of running again, having just recovered from an injury.

I'm hoping I'm blowing this out of proportion, and if all else fails, I trust my recruiters. Appreciate any insight, though. Thanks for your time.

Well let me tell you this.. there were plenty of recruits with shin splints and recruits with "shin splints" in my platoon. They all made it through boot camp no matter how much it hurt. Just do it to it and don't give up.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=Shin+Splints

Even though you are told not to run if you have access to a treadmill....do a brisk walk. Until you go to boot camp use proper foot hygiene and you can do foot,ankle and lower leg strengthening exercises to help with the build up back in your lower legs,with proper strectching.

Thank you Corporal and Staff Sergeant. I read that thread you linked to yesterday and thought this quote from Old Marine was an interesting observation:

Maybe the kids are in bad shape these days, since most have vehicles and never have to walk anywhere and abuse their little tootsies. Maybe the boots that are issued these days are not the quality we were issued. I say lose the tennis shoes.
    Isn't it unusual that while shoes continue to get more sophisticated and more expensive, the number of lower leg injuries in athletes and runners has nearly tripled? If I could, I'd train and run barefoot. It's a shame that won't work at Recruit Training, eh?

In any case, your responses were just what I needed to hear. I still do a fair bit of conditioning and strength work (CrossFitter for over a year, if you're familiar with it), so hopefully now that I am recovered, these shin splints will be the least of my worries. I finally started foam rolling, which has helped tremendously as well.

Appreciate your responses, and am glad to have my mind a bit more at ease.

I just went to the Crossfit website and saw the most moto pic I've seen in a while.

Go to http://www.crossfit.com/

If you're talking about Kyle Maynard on the front page, you're right. You should see the videos of him.

That's exactly who I'm talking about. If this guy can do that, DAMN!

Awesome!! No other word comes to mind faster.

I had pretty bad foot/leg problems when I was at the Depot.

Everything changes then though. You're in a completely different mindset and you realize the risks of having to stay at that place for a longer period of time if you go to medical. Plenty recruits leave the island with injuries that they had to fight through because they didn't want to risk being recycled.

Shin splints is one of those kind of injuries.

When you get there, and have a chance to go to the recruit px buy yourself a good pair of insoles. They will help!

If concussion induced lameness maladies are not directly related to excess weight or lack of sufficient bone/tendon/ligament conditioning during ones foundation years, it might be nutrition but more than likely a combo of the above.

Home cooking was nothing to brag about but from the time i quit the tit and up until boot camp leave i had fed on maybe a total of 30 fast food meals including "TV" dinners. I had to ask pops to confirm the early years of no recall.

Nobody in boot camp platoon 1083 - 79' was set back or even went to sickbay for shinsplints. The field boots of today ARE better quality than the generic leather and rubber military boot of yesterday we pounded the grinder and hard packed Pendleton hills with. Yet even the advanced therapeutic quality's of todays boot and shoe can only nurse a challenged foundation for so long before it breaks down.

Most of this i deduce from lab and field studies in farrier science, comparative anatomy. If somebody has other theory's i'd like to hear about it

--->Dave

Thread Information