0451! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 0451!

How did you get this job, are you going reserve? I thought that you could only get the 04xx occupational field in your contract?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Asnowberger View Post
    How did you get this job, are you going reserve? I thought that you could only get the 04xx occupational field in your contract?
    This job was a guaranteed mos in my contract. Because it requires jump school it is a volunteer job only right now. The thing is though the Marines only allow so many applicants to reserve this job before they cut it off each year. This year I just happened to get lucky and instead of going in as Mp I got 0451. I have always wanted to go to jump school since I was in the Army, but I never got the chance even as infantry.

Here's how it will likely work. You'll go to Recruit training, then MCT, THEN Airborne/Jump school, THEN your MOS school. Why?

Because sending you to Jump school (if it's mandatory to have it to have the MOS) will be a quick way to determine, and cost effective for the Corps, if you will go on to the MOS school.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Here's how it will likely work. You'll go to Recruit training, then MCT, THEN Airborne/Jump school, THEN your MOS school. Why?

Because sending you to Jump school (if it's mandatory to have it to have the MOS) will be a quick way to determine, and cost effective for the Corps, if you will go on to the MOS school.
    Fairly correct. Parachute riggers have to attend Basic Airborne Course (commonly referred to as jump school), and graduate, prior to attending Rigger school because they HAVE to be able to jump the parachutes they pack. Kind of a safety thing to discourage sabotage, shoddy rigging, etc..... A very fine quality control policy if you ask me as I was one of those ones, in the very recent past, that relied on the 0451s' proficiency!!

S/F

I didn't get a bloody bonus to go to jump. I was volontold to be there.

Credits
    Savings
    Just a little update about what I said earlier about this mos being a guaranteed mos enlistment option...Not anymore. Now you just have to get the luck of the draw in the field if you want to be a rigger..I'm not sure if the bonus is even around. I still haven't met any recruits with this mos, but what I hear new spots will be opening up this March..

Quote Originally Posted by shirty1 View Post
    Just a little update about what I said earlier about this mos being a guaranteed mos enlistment option...Not anymore. Now you just have to get the luck of the draw in the field if you want to be a rigger..I'm not sure if the bonus is even around. I still haven't met any recruits with this mos, but what I hear new spots will be opening up this March..
    You were prior Army?? Son, you could have got airborne into your contract easily. The Marine Corps doesn't give out jump school like candy either. I hate going to French Creek and seeing some POG as Pfc with Jump Wings thinks he is the ****. Ohh and when and if you get to Ft. Benning for school, you better not disrespect us in anyway.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneRJ View Post
    You were prior Army?? Son, you could have got airborne into your contract easily. The Marine Corps doesn't give out jump school like candy either. I hate going to French Creek and seeing some POG as Pfc with Jump Wings thinks he is the ****. Ohh and when and if you get to Ft. Benning for school, you better not disrespect us in anyway.
    What do you mean disrespect you..? As in failing the school?

Angry Wtf

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneRJ View Post
    K first of all WTF are you spouting off about. Two you are a Green PFC, and a BOOT!! you have been on active duty and a Marine for less than a year. Third you call this guy SON, dude you are 20 years old. You act like you are some hot shi$ fleet Gunny (No Disrespect Gunnys) who has been around 15+ years. Lastly this guy was asking a few questions about Jump School, yes he was using Army Words, like Airborne, etc. However we corrected him, and that should have been the end of it. You had best check yourself there Boot!!!

Credits
    Savings
    No disrespect to you Hurricane, but I don't understand your hostility or at least it seemed that way to me. No harm done, but I am a 11B(Infantry) who has served 2 years on active duty and currently serving with the 20th Special Forces(Airborne) in Alabama. I have been to Air Assault school and am now drawn between either re-enlisting in the reserves and going to Airborne school in January..its a requirement in my unit or going in as a 0451 at the end of my enlistment in 7 months. I am actually not a Poolee, so I apologize for any confusion.

The hardest part of that bloody school was running around in the winter with a "field jacket" to and from classes and running for pt with full sweats, beanie, and green and black gloves on. I don't know about everyone else but i didn't care it it was around 30 or so, I'll freeze for a bit before the run so long as i don't have to wear all the extra crap.

I miss French Creek, of course living there for two years you would have to, Hurricane the base is large enough to stay out of and avoid French Creek all together.

Looks like I am getting a $7,500 bonus and Airborne school! I guess I got lucky to have one of the best jobs in the Marine Corps.
    "best job in the Marine Corps"?... I personally don't think joining the Marine's is exactly about the money. Ive been told that with my test scores I could get over 20K sign up bonus from the other branches, and I'm getting a flat zero from the Marine's, and very happy with it.

No disrespect to you Hurricane, but I don't understand your hostility or at least it seemed that way to me. No harm done, but I am a 11B(Infantry) who has served 2 years on active duty and currently serving with the 20th Special Forces(Airborne) in Alabama. I have been to Air Assault school and am now drawn between either re-enlisting in the reserves and going to Airborne school in January..its a requirement in my unit or going in as a 0451 at the end of my enlistment in 7 months. I am actually not a Poolee, so I apologize for any confusion.

so what did you decide to do????

I wonder if your jump school can be used in the Corps.......hmm.

Thread Information