Breakfast with heroes
Wednesday, 15 October 2008 00:00 By André Schlappe MAJ USAR - Adjutant, VFW Post 1

They came to Denver from all across the nation, some in wheelchairs, some with canes, some missing limbs. By André Schlappe
MAJ USAR - Adjutant, VFW Post 1
(Editor’s note: André Schlappe wrote this article after attending the Congressional Medal of Honor Society Convention.)

They represented all branches of the military and their service spanned conflicts from World War II through Vietnam. They all had one thing in common — each had a blue ribbon around his neck with the Medal of Honor (MOH) hanging from it.

The Congressional Medal of Honor Society had its annual convention in Denver the week of Sept. 15 and John S. Stewart VFW Post 1 held a welcoming breakfast for the members of the society, their spouses, soldiers from local units who have recently returned from Iraq, and members of the VFW. In all, 26 Medal of Honor recipients were present for the breakfast along with several families of posthumous Medal of Honor recipients from Iraq and Afghanistan. For many attending, it was the first time they had met a recipient, let alone 26 at one time.

Izzy Abbass, commander of Post 1, welcomed the society members and thanked them for their continued work. “None of you took the risks and made the sacrifices for a bit of ribbon around your neck. You did so because of your buddy next to you. And now you continue to help your buddy who is wearing the uniform today by reminding people that there are soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen making those same sacrifices today and every day.”

The keynote address was given by the president of the Congressional Medal of Honor Society, Colonel Robert Howard, who himself was nominated three times for the MOH and received it for actions during the Vietnam War. Said Colonel Howard, “Anyone can step up and do what we did. It just happened to be our time and our fate at that time in history.”

Immediately following the breakfast, members of the VFW along with the MOH Society traveled to a monument at the state capitol erected for Joe P. Martinez. A soldier from Colorado, Martinez gave his life in the Aleutians during WWII and for his action received the Medal of Honor. A ceremony was held and the flag was presented to the commander of Post 1, who then placed it on the monument. It was a touching moment as living Medal of Honor recipients saluted the memorial in groups of two and three.
One of the key goals was to include active troops in the day’s events. Members of the 244th Engineer Battalion and the 651st Regional Support Group joined the event, many having just recently returned from Iraq. Said Staff Sergeant Jason Rizzi, “It was very humbling to be in a room with so many heroes. I talked to Allan Kellogg (Marines, Vietnam). It made me appreciate all the people who have served before me. They carved the path and then I follow it.”

Another group participating was Boy Scout Troop 199, whose members presented the flags and helped with the presentation at the Martinez Memorial. Said Life Scout Ian Johnston “It was an incredible event and something I’ll always remember. I plan on going into the Marines after college and this is certainly an inspiration to follow in their footsteps.”

Throughout the rest of the week, members of the society visited schools and continued to inspire all those they came in contact with. The convention concluded on Friday with a Patriotic Awards Gala at the Denver Sheraton hotel ballroom. Speakers at the gala included former Senator and WWII veteran Bob Dole and noted economist Ben Stein. Several individuals were presented awards for service to veterans, including Clint Eastwood for having “favorably portrayed the United States military, either in film or literature, and who have distinguished themselves in the entertainment industry.” A gracious and patriotic keynote address was given by First Lady Laura Bush via video.

For those lucky few able to attend these events and meet the Medal of Honor recipients, they will never forget the living history and real heroes who came to Colorado for a week in September.

Ellie