Bumed Waiver For Back
Create Post

Bumed Waiver For Back

After my four years of Active Duty ending in March 2006, I decided to join the Active Reserve. After two years in January 2008 when I was discharged for medical reasons. I had on-going back problems after an injury incurred during training. No nerve damage, no broken bones, no major anthing, but after running or alot of activity my back would hurt on the lower left side and it would hurt to walk sometime i would take pain killers. I tried various treatments suggested by my primary care doctor at my unit to include physical therapy, chiropractic treatment, a few types of medication prescribed and several cortisone shots in my lower back. Rehabilitation was just not happening at the rate needed to keep up with physical training. After a medical board ended in Oct. 2007 a physical disability separation was decided. They just threw a few diagnoses on a piece of paper for low back but i don't think they really knew what was the problem. I could have fought it but at the moment I was unmotivated so took the discharge. I was discharged and assigned RE Code RE-3P at my EAS for physical disability with severance pay.

It was a tough transition out leaving behind a big part of my life. I came home and had to make new friends or reunite with old ones and try to become a part of their circle of friends. No matter how much I tried I just felt I didn't fit in. I have found my self seeking out new Marine friends locally to be more in my comfort zone. Because of joining the Marine Corps I changed. I grew up and have done many things I am proud of.

I started meeting with a personal physical trainer at a local gym. I began to learn more about nutrition and cross fit training exercises to make the core part of my body stronger. I also conducted more personal studies about massage therapy and natural healing as a continuation of prior schooling I attended a year ago at a massage school while stationed in Virginia. I stopped taking all medication previously prescribed for back pain or anything else. By March I started to feel better about myself and had no back problems.

In March I passed a physical given by the City of Fort Worth and was qualified to attend the Police Training Academy. Once at the Academy we did physical training, defensive tactics, and classes every day. After being there for a few weeks, the environment began to remind me so much of the military. After about 8 weeks in April and being in the best physical condition I had been in a long time, I decided that I wanted to try to get back into the Marine Corps.

In May I went to local family doctor who referred me for further testing to evaluate my back and prove I wasn't having any more back problems. On May 19, 2008 I was seen at a Physical Therapy office and had my back evaluated. I was given a Functional Capacity Evaluation and was cleared by the doctor show no signs of back issues anymore. I have continued many sessions with a personal physical trainer and attend the gym to workout at least 5 days a week and feel I am in the best physical condition than I have been in in a long time.

From the end of June to July I went to a Recruiting Sub-Stations to try to check out the idea of coming back in the Marine Corps. Although they seemed confident that it was possible to re-enlist, they gave me the impression that it would be a long process. It seemed like I was not a priority though and got the run around and they were more concerned with with flirting and asking me out. But I remained persistent and patient with them because my goal was to go back to Active Duty. However their office didn't seem to have much knowledge, experience, and their own persistence to handle my case that would require a lot of extra paperwork and time compared to their non-prior service applicants.

The end of August I met with a Marine prior-service recruiter (PSR) at the local military base. He has been great on helping me and knows what to do. I had a physical exam on Sep 29 at the base medical and was found "fit for duty" by a Navy doctor. The prior service recruiter sent my paperwork to BUMED last week. After I get a BUMED waiver, I have to wait on a RE Code waiver from Headquarters Marine Corps. Then affiliate with a unit and then apply to go back to Active Reserve although I wanted to go back to Active Duty originally. So here I am working on the biggest goal of a lifetime and trying to re-enlist in the Marine Corps. What a stressful process it has been. I am ready to get back to being a Marine.

The PSR said once I get a BUMED waiver everything should be smooth sailing. I am just wondering how long does it take usually for BUMED to make their decision once the paperwork it sent to them and do I have a great chance of getting a waiver????

Credits
    Savings
    I can't answer your question, but can only say, 'good on you'.

Follow your heart and chase your dream.

Credits
    Savings
    Good Luck! We have seen them come quick, and some guys here gripe about it taking forever. Hard to say.

Yep. Good on ya for sure! THIS is motivation.

The best answer I can give you is, "It takes as long as it takes".

Not much help but that's about the size of it.

Keep us updated with your progress!!!

Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Yep. Good on ya for sure! THIS is motivation.

The best answer I can give you is, "It takes as long as it takes".

Not much help but that's about the size of it.

Keep us updated with your progress!!!

Semper Fi.

It was a few weeks before Christmas and I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything. I had kept asking my recruiter every few weeks if he had heard anything, but he said no he was still waiting on the waiver. Now I know after the package left my recruiter's hands it required a endorsement from a MSGT at tthe unit and the CO. Then my package was supposed to go to the district, then the region office, the HQMC G3, then BUMED. I know it should normally take 3-4 weeks to get to BUMED granted no problems arise with my package. I decided to call HQ Marine Corps G3 to ask about the process since my recruiter couldn't give me answers. I ended up talking to a GYSGT there and he said my waiver package had not come through his office yet and I was not in the system. I asked him how does it normally take BUMED to approve a waiver once it gets across his desk...he said 6 weeks. So here it is 3 months later...what gives. The GYSGT said he would send a message down to the 8th district office to see where my pakage was sitting and for someone to act on it.

Ironically, my recruiter calls me the next day trys to explains why my paperwork sat on someones desk for over two months. Only reason given...Because the MCTFS/3270 system says one thing regarding my discharge and my DD214 and other paperwork says another (duh,we knew that from the beginning- obviously in the past some jr Marine didn't do their job and run the right info in the sytem or type my paperwork correctly, but whatever!It say RE-1A and MBK1 (Completion of required Active Service) in MCTFS/3270, my 1st DD214 when I came off active in March 2002 says RE-1A SEP CODE KBK1 (Normal Expiration of Service), my second DD214 from the current discharge say RE CODE - N/A SEP CODE JFK1 (Physical Disability w/Severance). So my recruiter says he needs to add my OMPF to the package including my page 3, 11, & 12, a business type photo w/ height/weight, a letter of recommendation, and an endorsement from the unit. Well why didn't he tell me that back in September when he was getting ready to submit my package. So I came in the next day (Fri Dec 12, 2008) to take a picture and give him my OMPF. I asked two former SNCOs to write up a Letter of Recommendation. So now the only thing I am waiting on for my package to be resubmitted is a endorsement from the MSGT of the unit (which I thought the recuiter got the first time my package was supposedly submitted with back in OCT.) I called last week to see if he got the endorsement yet....nope still waioting on the MSGT. Then of course the holiday 96's and leave come....who is going to doing anything important during that time...probablly no one. So I have to wait unitl Jan 5 to find out if the infamous MSGT will give me the endorsement or the recruiter will show me how to submit the whole thing myself to BUMED. What??? I am going crazy here.....I have done everything asked of me and quickly and been more proactive than anyone but have got no further than May when I got the idea in my head that the Marine Corps is where I want to return to.
    Why can't I get anything done??? am confident I'll get the waiver, I just need my paperwork to get to BUMED. I am fit for duty ....I am in great shape and have no back problems anymore. I have never wanted to work so much in my life and be back in the Marine Corps so bad like I do now. I could be helping Marines right now...I could be doing alot right now, but I need to overcome the obstacle of my life.

I'd call the MSgt myself if I were you and figure out just why he hasnt signed it yet.

Stay moto....unfortunately these things take time, sometimes its quick sometimes its not. Stay moto.

Maybe the M/SGT is the one you wouldn`t go out with?

When i had to wait for my BUMED to Re-enlist it took about a month. The month you have yours sent in they are required to have a response back to your Recruiter by the end of that month....at least that is what i have been told.

The end of August I met with a Marine prior-service recruiter (PSR) at the local military base. He has been great on helping me and knows what to do.

What recruiter was it if you don't mind me asking? Just to ask him for advise, or if he might know a PSR closed to me that might be better. I have gotten the run around from hell myself.

Anyway, reguardless, good job Corpral!

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

Been There Done That

Quote Originally Posted by marinegirl12 View Post
    It was a few weeks before Christmas and I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything. I had kept asking my recruiter every few weeks if he had heard anything, but he said no he was still waiting on the waiver. Now I know after the package left my recruiter's hands it required a endorsement from a MSGT at tthe unit and the CO. Then my package was supposed to go to the district, then the region office, the HQMC G3, then BUMED. I know it should normally take 3-4 weeks to get to BUMED granted no problems arise with my package. I decided to call HQ Marine Corps G3 to ask about the process since my recruiter couldn't give me answers. I ended up talking to a GYSGT there and he said my waiver package had not come through his office yet and I was not in the system. I asked him how does it normally take BUMED to approve a waiver once it gets across his desk...he said 6 weeks. So here it is 3 months later...what gives. The GYSGT said he would send a message down to the 8th district office to see where my pakage was sitting and for someone to act on it.

Ironically, my recruiter calls me the next day trys to explains why my paperwork sat on someones desk for over two months. Only reason given...Because the MCTFS/3270 system says one thing regarding my discharge and my DD214 and other paperwork says another (duh,we knew that from the beginning- obviously in the past some jr Marine didn't do their job and run the right info in the sytem or type my paperwork correctly, but whatever!It say RE-1A and MBK1 (Completion of required Active Service) in MCTFS/3270, my 1st DD214 when I came off active in March 2002 says RE-1A SEP CODE KBK1 (Normal Expiration of Service), my second DD214 from the current discharge say RE CODE - N/A SEP CODE JFK1 (Physical Disability w/Severance). So my recruiter says he needs to add my OMPF to the package including my page 3, 11, & 12, a business type photo w/ height/weight, a letter of recommendation, and an endorsement from the unit. Well why didn't he tell me that back in September when he was getting ready to submit my package. So I came in the next day (Fri Dec 12, 2008) to take a picture and give him my OMPF. I asked two former SNCOs to write up a Letter of Recommendation. So now the only thing I am waiting on for my package to be resubmitted is a endorsement from the MSGT of the unit (which I thought the recuiter got the first time my package was supposedly submitted with back in OCT.) I called last week to see if he got the endorsement yet....nope still waioting on the MSGT. Then of course the holiday 96's and leave come....who is going to doing anything important during that time...probablly no one. So I have to wait unitl Jan 5 to find out if the infamous MSGT will give me the endorsement or the recruiter will show me how to submit the whole thing myself to BUMED. What??? I am going crazy here.....I have done everything asked of me and quickly and been more proactive than anyone but have got no further than May when I got the idea in my head that the Marine Corps is where I want to return to.
    Why can't I get anything done??? am confident I'll get the waiver, I just need my paperwork to get to BUMED. I am fit for duty ....I am in great shape and have no back problems anymore. I have never wanted to work so much in my life and be back in the Marine Corps so bad like I do now. I could be helping Marines right now...I could be doing alot right now, but I need to overcome the obstacle of my life.
    Believe me,I understand how you must feel about giving all you got to re-enlist and not getting the support from your recruiter.My son was sent home from MCRD San diego at the start of 3rd Phase because of a knee problem that was not identified at MEPS.My son told his recruiter and MEPS about the his knee injury that he sustained during High School Wrestling practice.He was required to provide medical documentation for MEPS and they still sent him to Boot Camp just to be sent home four months later(he spent two months in MRP)he has been trying to get back in since the day he arrived home,and has made good progress.His recuiter says he must have a waiver to re-enter (duh !).The waiver process should have been in place from the start. Incompetency is rampant in the Marine Corps.It was that way when I was in ,and it's that way today.and thats the frigg'in truth! don't like it? tough ****.

Thread Information