0231 Training
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: 0231 Training

  1. #1

    0231 Training

    Hey Marines and fellow poolees. I leave for boot camp in a couple of weeks and just found out my training to be an Intelligence Specialist is not where I thought it was going to be, and is not as long as I was led to believe.

    I have researched the forums pretty thoroughly, and while I found useful information about MOS 0231, I didn't find specifics on the training locations.

    My recruiter told me in passing that I'm going to Monterey, CA, but he didn't say when, or for how long. I have also learned that I'm going to Dam Neck, VA, but for 12-14 weeks instead of the year that I thought I would be spending in Virginia.

    Normally I would just go with the flow and do what my superiors tell me to do without question, but my wife needs to know if and when she can come live with me.

    So I guess my specific question is this: After boot camp and MCT what schools do I go to, in what order, and for how long to be trained in MOS 0231?


  2. #2
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=54253 Try talking to this Cpl, he can prob give you some info.


  3. #3
    The training that goeson in Monterey, CA is for 267* or other Linguist jobs. It is the Defense Language Institute. You may have been thinking of the because their training for some languages is right at 55 weeks which is about a year. However, I don't know much about other intelligence jobs, just about the signals intelligence linguist job. If you havn't taken the DLAB or if you took it and didn't pass it, then you are probably regular intelligence, however if you did take it you may want to talk to your recruiter further.


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by imkopaka View Post
    Hey Marines and fellow poolees. I leave for boot camp in a couple of weeks and just found out my training to be an Intelligence Specialist is not where I thought it was going to be, and is not as long as I was led to believe.

    I have researched the forums pretty thoroughly, and while I found useful information about MOS 0231, I didn't find specifics on the training locations.

    My recruiter told me in passing that I'm going to Monterey, CA, but he didn't say when, or for how long. I have also learned that I'm going to Dam Neck, VA, but for 12-14 weeks instead of the year that I thought I would be spending in Virginia.

    Normally I would just go with the flow and do what my superiors tell me to do without question, but my wife needs to know if and when she can come live with me.

    So I guess my specific question is this: After boot camp and MCT what schools do I go to, in what order, and for how long to be trained in MOS 0231?
    If your designated MOS is indeed 0231, then following MCT, you will go to Virginia Beach for Intel School first. You can expect to be there for 13 weeks but it may be longer if there aren't enough students to form an entire class. In that case, you will be on hold and will start classes when they recieve enough students to "class-up."

    While you're there, you will take the DLAB (Language Test) and if you do well enough on it, you will then recieve orders to Montery, California to learn a new language. Don't worry about studying for this test because you can't. It's all a bunch of gibberish and just measures your aptitude for comprehending languages.

    Your wife won't be able to live with you while you're in Intel School. It's only 3 months long and you're job there is to learn. You're not permited as a Private/PFC to have a wife while you're a student there. You can have your wife live with you once you get to your first unit in the fleet or if you go to DLI in Montery because you will be there for an extended period of time.

    You can expect to "go with the flow" from now on because that's what junior Marines do! Once you pick up rank, you can question things but as a private, you'll follow orders and like them!

    Feel free to ask anymore questions as I'll try and answer them to the best of my knowledge.


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMC View Post
    The training that goeson in Monterey, CA is for 267* or other Linguist jobs. It is the Defense Language Institute. You may have been thinking of the because their training for some languages is right at 55 weeks which is about a year. However, I don't know much about other intelligence jobs, just about the signals intelligence linguist job. If you havn't taken the DLAB or if you took it and didn't pass it, then you are probably regular intelligence, however if you did take it you may want to talk to your recruiter further.
    DLI is not only for 26XX MOS's. Know what you're talking about before you start opening your suck on here. You don't have to be in Signals Intelligence to qualify for DLI. 26XX's are the most common but there are a handful of 0231's and senior 0211 (Counter Intel) students there as well.


  6. #6
    Thanks a million, Corporal.


  7. #7
    If you do go to DLI, well then you better hope you have a car there. it is on top of a HUGE hill that really sucks to walk up. Other than that it has really nice views. I know this because while I was on vacation in Monterey Bay not to long ago and my husband tried to drag me up there but I quit half way up for the kids sake.


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CPL Nelly View Post
    If you do go to DLI, well then you better hope you have a car there. it is on top of a HUGE hill that really sucks to walk up. Other than that it has really nice views. I know this because while I was on vacation in Monterey Bay not to long ago and my husband tried to drag me up there but I quit half way up for the kids sake.
    How is that relevant here? If you want to tell a story about how you can't walk up a hill, start a new thread!

    Also, you have the wrong ribbon on your signature block. If you were in Oki, then you need to have the Overseas Service Ribbon, not the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon which you currently have. Correct yourself.


  9. #9

  10. #10
    What?


  11. #11
    If you were in Oki, then you need to have the Overseas Service Ribbon, not the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon which you currently have. Correct yourself.
    That depends if the Marine was deployed for over a year or 6mos to a year.


  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by temarti View Post
    That depends if the Marine was deployed for over a year or 6mos to a year.
    True! I'm just going off what she has in her profile. Says she was stationed in Japan and I'd wager a guess she was there for a year. I could be wrong though?


  13. #13
    Marine Free Member OB MSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newport News
    Posts
    419
    Credits
    32
    Savings
    0
    0231: Did someone P!$$ in your Kool-Aid this morning?! You seem bent on thumbing down everyone on this thread. Easy there, killer.

    Anyway, Imkopaka, if you get sent to Dam Neck, drop me a PM. I live in the area and can give you some good gouge on what goes on here. But for now just focus on leaving for Boot and getting through that. The rest will move on its own course and at its own time.


  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by OB MSG View Post
    0231: Did someone P!$$ in your Kool-Aid this morning?! You seem bent on thumbing down everyone on this thread. Easy there, killer.

    Anyway, Imkopaka, if you get sent to Dam Neck, drop me a PM. I live in the area and can give you some good gouge on what goes on here. But for now just focus on leaving for Boot and getting through that. The rest will move on its own course and at its own time.
    LOL...I guess maybe on the 13th I was a little testy? I'll haze myself later and your point is noted SSgt.

    I didn't mean to offend anyone if it was construed as such. I tend to be blunt and it comes off as hostile sometimes. My fault!


  15. #15
    Marine Free Member OB MSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newport News
    Posts
    419
    Credits
    32
    Savings
    0
    No worries, I got quite a chuckle out of it myself. Just gotta watch out for them sensitive types!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts