3rd MP Bn
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd MP Bn

3rd MP Bn

Is there anyone out there who served in the 3rd MP Bn in RSV 1967-68, Did I imagine that I served withnthem as I never read much aboutn them. Great outfit, lots of great memories.
    Sweeney_m@hotmail.com

MJSweeney=====-----I was with 3rd MP's in 1970. Was with A CO. NCOIC of Bravo Block Max security.

3rd MP's

Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung View Post
    MJSweeney=====-----I was with 3rd MP's in 1970. Was with A CO. NCOIC of Bravo Block Max security.
    Hello Gunny
    Nice to hear from you, Did the 3rd MP's remain with their name or change to the 1st as I previously heard. I went back to the site a few years ago and it is now a Military Base, we could only drive by it and stop to look, the Hills look exactly the same (Hill 327) brings back fond memories.
    Regards
    Mike sweeney

MJSweeney=======I am not a Gunny but was and still is or are a Sgt. But thanks for the promoting. I joined 3rd. MP's around the last of Aprail 1970. As you know at that time MP's were a tempery MOS. The 1st MarDiv wanted NCO's who had worked the brig or who had Marine Barracks duty before that time. I had been stationed at Marine Barracks Hawthorne, Nev. So that is were I went. I stayed with them until the US Army came up from LBJ Vietnam and took over the brig. We chased all the Marine brig rats to El-Torro, Calif. This was in the last part of Aug. 1970. The USAF flew us home in a C-140. I think that 3rd MP's was disbanded then.

That was a good one Marine them rockers sure would have been nice, Semper FI.

Hey Sgt Youing,
    Brig Rats, that made me laugh...I'll never forget one of them wrote in a few years ago and actually was fond of the fact that he was a Brig Rat in the old days. I have an old article about My old Lt who was a Maverick who took over the Brig and then Camp Pendleton in Calif when he returned. He retired and then became the Commissioner Of Corrections in Maryland, very interesting regarding the 3rd MP's, if you have a Fax let me know the number and I'll fax it to you, His name is Lt. Braxton, African American who had a remarkle history with the USMC.
    Regards
    Mike Sweney

"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "real Marines". "
    Major General Chesty Puller, USMC - while on a Battalion inspection.

Zebra29er============These were brig rats not MARINES. There were rats that were in for somking pot on OP and LP. They were in for sleeping on OP and LP. They were in for killing fellow MARINES. This trash would kill you for 50 cents. You know and I know Chesty would not like them. I know Chesty was talking about base brigs and not combat brigs.

so GGYoung you know each & everyones story & reason for being in the brig & of course they are all beneath you as you must be near perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by MJSweeney View Post
    Is there anyone out there who served in the 3rd MP Bn in RSV 1967-68, Did I imagine that I served with them as I never read much aboutn them. Great outfit, lots of great memories.
    Sweeney_m@hotmail.com
    I served with 3MP Battalion, A co., from Jan 67' (Pendleton) to Dec 68'. Boarded USS Maggoffin in SD, May 67', got to Danang and replaced 1st MP's. Were you in PI, Plt. 3084? Name sounds familiar.

Da nang 1967

Quote Originally Posted by MJSweeney View Post
    Is there anyone out there who served in the 3rd MP Bn in RSV 1967-68, Did I imagine that I served withnthem as I never read much aboutn them. Great outfit, lots of great memories.
    Sweeney_m@hotmail.com
    semipre fi
    my friend i got to nam with the 3rd mp batt in early 67,i was assigned to the POW compoud guarding 10 nva's i only lasted two weeks and our 1st sgt send me to line company cause i was a short timer in Nam, my friend that i remmeber was last name of Farris frm Missippi and a also richard gardner frm conn, that was sent to lanuage school in Coranado Island??................ my nickname was sgt pepe... later

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Taylor View Post
    so GGYoung you know each & everyones story & reason for being in the brig & of course they are all beneath you as you must be near perfect.
    Curt Taylor, can you see good? Guy said, Marines smoking pot and sleeping on OP and LP. If you had been in Nam, you would know they put Marines life on the line, when doing that.

I just saw this post. I was with the 3rd MP Battalion from when it was formed in early '67. We were in the Feb. replacement draft and were just about to go to Nam. I think I was in Bravo Co. Was assigned to the pow compound in Danang. Was there only a couple of days and was transfered with 4 others to 1st MP Bn. That lasted only over night, next morning we were sent to the grunts. Fox 2/5

Seeking information

What was the actual name of the Marine base where there was a POW prison and a prison for brig rats? I believe it was at the base of Hill 327 in 1969. (I was there '69-'70) I also think it was the 3rd MP Battalion HQS. Maybe 5 clicks out of DaNang. There was also a Dog Platoon there and ITT (Interrogator Translator Teams) there. Nearby was a 105mm Battery. Patrols sent out every night up the mountain. I tried to locate it in DaNang a few years back, but could not find it. Thanks & Semper Fi
    bill

Thread Information