Some Doubts...
Create Post

Thread: Some Doubts...

Some Doubts...

Good day Marines. For about a year now, I've known that I want to be a Marine. But recently, the idea of law enforcement has kept coming up. I end up pushing it out of the way, but it keeps coming back, and I have no idea why. It's like my common sense is telling me to take the easier, safer, closer to home job, even when I know, I really want to be Marine with every fiber of me. I know, also, that I can do law enforcement if I decide to get out of the Corps, but that doesn't help. I've already discussed this problem with a Marine on these forums, and thought I had it decided, but the idea keeps coming back up. Any advice at all would help greatly. I truly appreciate it Marines.

101 matt1,

I have a few questions and comments for you. What makes you think being a police officer is safer or easier than being a Marine. I was a grunt machine gunner for (4) years and have been a police officer in Florida for (9) years now. You never know what the hells gonna come out on the radio, but that's the juice. One time in a 12 hour shift we fought a dear in the mall, caught an alligator in a hotel pool and arrested a 73 year old women with a "cookie" of crack. In the Corps Depending on what your MOS is you may never see combat (If your lucky) or ever deploy. I can honestly say that my life experiences in the Corps have made me a better person and a more respected police officer. Ive heard citizens laugh at younger officers when they try to give them advice and say "What the f##k do you know" , but in a way their right. Don't think wearing the badge is like in the movies with car chases and shoot outs ever five minutes (no matter how big the city). It's alot of paper work and a very thank less job, but the other stuff does happen from time to time!! I was on paid admin leave for two months!! If you think being a police officer is safe, go to the Officer Down Memorial Page,it gets longer daily. I say this with no disrespect, but I think the war on terror and home land security starts in the streets of our "homeland". There's more of a threat coming from south of the border and terrorists that are already here, then Iraq. A very small portion of the insurgents over there will ever see the United States. The only thing that matters is if you have the balls to serve on the front line or patrol it's streets, (or lucky enough to do both) how I see it either one commands respect. Good luck.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Follow your heart Matt. Some of the best Marines I know were MPs. Check into to that MOS. I'm not a cop type at all. I'll step up when I have to, but to cruise around and see the worst of a City 8-12 hours a day takes a different tribe.

You'll definately get more pride outta being a Marine. I aint gonna suggarcoat it for you man, alot of times (especailly recently when I was in iraq) I would wake up mornings and feel like why the **** did I do this the grunts sucks, but then theres times when I got to do my job and help locals and it made me feel alot better about my decision. I recently got back and it feels amazeing, I dont think theres a better feeling then comeing back to the states and seeing your family after being on a 7 month combat deployment.

Do the Marine thing, you can pretty much ALWAYS do the cop thing afterwards.

I've known plenty of LEO's in my life who told me they WISHED they'd joined, but instead went LEO first, and regretted it.

Once you get to a duty station you can always check into local law enforcement and see if they will take you on as a reserve officer or something like that. I did.

Another option might be looking into joining the Marines as a reservist if there's a unit near you. Then you can still persue a career in law enforcement. Personally I think it's worth it to do Active Duty for four years. When you get out and law enforcement agencies see that you were a Marine for four or however many years, the job is pretty much yours to lose. Wether or not you deploy, see combat or any of that, you'll already have the leadership experience that other applicants will lack.

I appreciate the help Marines. I just had to look at it, and see what I really want to do, as well as what I really want to be able to say at the end of the day; "I'm a cop" just doesn't have the same effect as "I'm a United States Marine". There was nothing pulling me to law enforcement really - I don't mind being away from home and what not - but EVERYTHING pulling me to the Marines. I still don't understand why I was considering it. I guess it's just instinct, taking the 'easy' way out. I hope to make a career out of the Corps, if that's what I decide, but if not, I can fall back and settle down into LE. I've got law enforcement out my mind now, and I appreciate you all helping me get everything straight in my mind. God bless, Marines. Thanks again.

Matt, I had the same dilemma you had when I thought about joining the Marine Corps. The way I saw it was, if I chose to become a cop the thought of not joining the Marine Corps would always eat at me. But if I chose to become a Marine, I knew I would never regret it. The day I became a Marine was the happiest day of my life and it will be for you too. Good luck buddy

Alright. I revived this thread because this partially relates to the subject.

I watched a documentary the other day about the Marine Corps. On it, they interview some fairly famous Marines (Lt. Gen. Christmas, Cpt. Nate Fick, etc) on different subjects. One of the very last ones was combat and war in general. This part started to confuse me, and even worry me. Half of the Marines and military reporters they interviewed said that in order for Marines to be able to fight so well, they must love combat. The other half said the complete opposite; that war is something that no one wants to go through, and one person even said that it deteriorates the soul. Here's my question, and why it would relate to this thread. I love the study of infantry tactics, infantry weapons, etc. But, is combat a love/hate relationship, like some said, or is it absolutely a hate relationship? Also, after seeing combat, did you want to get out of the Corps because of that experience, or were you going to anyway? Basically, what I'm asking is this: If I was to get a commission as an officer in the Corps, go in Infantry, then see combat, and decide I don't want to go to combat again, I will have gone to college for four years to only serve maybe four more years in the Corps, when I could have done law enforcement all along. So, can anyone help me clear this up? I understand that this is a very personal subject, but this has become one of my major deciding factors. I appreciate your help Marines.

Thread Information