Weapons of the Vietnam War
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Weapons of the Vietnam War

US WEAPONS

This is the weapon most commonly associated with US troops in Vietnam. Despite early problems with the weapon it has now become a respected assault weapon. The 5.56mm M16A1 is a gas operated magazine-fed rifle capable of semi-automatic and automatic fire with an effective range of 300 meters and a practical rate of fire of 60 rpm.

NVA Weapons

Easily recognized with its high front sights, large selector/safety switch on the right side and the long, curved banana magazine, this is the Soviet version with a conventional wooden buttstock. The AK-47 is a gas-operated, magazine-fed rifle which has a semiautomatic ROF of 40 rounds (effective range about 400 meters), increasing to 100 rounds on fully automatic (effective range about 300 meters). It has a 30 round detachable box magazine. Renowned for it's durability, the AK-47 is shorter and heavier than the M-16 but with a lower ROF and muzzle velocity.

http://www.173rdairborne.com/weapons.htm

Sempers,

Roger

I don't want my best friend to be left out!

The M-14

3.5" Rocket

Fires an 11lb self-propelled HEAT (high explosive anti Tank) or Willy Peter "White Phosphors" Round.

Range approximately 1300 meters.

What ever you do - Don't stand behind it

Semper Fi,
    Bob Neener
    1964 -1968

Thumbs up P38

That's a good one Hawk.

I've still got my last P38, and it's as sharp as was 36 years ago when I opened my last box of C's in Nam.

Now how about this little night light, I never felt alone on watch when I had controll of a few of these baby's

The M18A1 Claymore

Used in both ambushes and perimeter defences, The Claymore Mine comprised of a curved rectangular cast-iron box with spikes fitted to the base. inside were 700 steel ball bearings in a bed of 2lbs of C-3 plastic explosive. it was detonated by remote control using an electric circuit; spraying its contents in a 60 degree arc and was lethal to a range of 50 meters.

Are they still in service today, I wonder?

Semper Fi,
    Bob

Needs to have a bump

Ellie

The first helicopter door gun in nam---yes, it would sink a VC boat.

Unable to attach the photo?----Anyway, it was the M3A1 SMG.

What squad leader didn't carry the M-79 at one time or the other. On Prairie 3, I carried 60 rounds and used them all. I wished that I had carried 160! We removed the sights because it kept getting hung up in the bush. When challenged about removing the sights we had to demonstrate that we could hit whatever using 'Kentucky windage". That BLOOPER sound was unmistakable! The army had Fanchette rounds for theirs that I happened to get from a 173rd AB when they relieved us for an operation one time.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

I like this one, personally. No, I never saw combat, but I enjoyed the LAW none the less.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    THE ONTOS

No one mentioned 1911A Pistol, Cal .45 semi auto

Having got a brand new out the box M-14 in Dec '66 and used the first six mths in Nam
    then getting one of those M-16 that cause many a Marine death in combat. The only thing I can say about an M-16 is "Piece of ****". Maybe good hitting something in open
    but can't make no one leave cover. Not only that weapon still very much subject to climate, 14 takes ten times more crap to prevent from fireing.

WHOA WHOA WHOA. . . .

While it wasn't widley used it was used, and there weren't many standing in front of me when she opened up. And I loved that flip up sight.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    grunti39....i packed a blooper for a little....in 69...some one up the line got a brite idea that we should pack 200 rounds...thats two demo bags plumb full plus rounds stufed where ever you could find them....put both my armes to sleep...one demo bag fell off my sholder and i couldnt pick the bag back up...arm was dead had to have a grunt put it back on my sholder...aske the plt sarg...just what good all them rounds gonna do me or you....after a cupple days they droped the number way down...and i desided the blooper wasnt my weapon of choice....went to the M14

YEAH!! ALPHA,, Also had a Top that carried a Thompson, I got a chance to carry a grease gun a couple of times. Slow but good in heavy bush!

Thread Information