LCpl Christopher Adlesperger
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

LCpl Christopher Adlesperger

Saturday, April 14, 2007
    Saluting a Marine's bravery

Despite being wounded, Christopher Adlesperger continued fighting to save fellow Marines in the 2004 Fallujah battle.

VIK JOLLY
    The Orange County Register

CAMP PENDLETON - Less than three months into his deployment in Iraq, Christopher Adlesperger got what he joined the U.S. Marines for: adventure and excitement.

During Operation Phantom Fury, the second battle of Fallujah in late 2004, the private first class and his platoon were in a fierce firefight inside a house full of insurgents with machine guns.

He would later tell his fellow Marines that he thought he was going to die but if that was to be the case, he wanted to do a few things first: take care of his comrades and die with his finger on the trigger.

Despite being hit with fragments from an enemy grenade, Adlesperger managed to single-handedly reach a stairwell and move three Marines and a Navy Corpsman to the rooftop, where they could get medical attention.

He returned moments later to once again face and kill the enemy, ultimately paving the way to help clear the last insurgent strongpoint in the Jolan District of Fallujah.

Adlesperger, 20, did not die that day. And even though he didn't see it that way, on Nov. 10, 2004, he became a hero.

On Friday in front of about 1,000 5th Marines, some veterans and family members at Camp Pendleton, Adlesperger joined a select pantheon of warriors when Major General John Paxton presented his parents with a Navy Cross, the second highest honor given to Marines for combat valor.

Adlesperger was fatally shot on Dec. 9, 2004, in a separate incident when he was helping clear another house, less than a month after the firefight that got him an infield meritorious promotion to lance corporal and eventually the Navy Cross.

The Albuquerque, N.M. native became only the 15th Marine to receive the Navy Cross for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Paxton praised Adlesperger's "quiet, steadfast valor," in a 45-minute sun-swept midday ceremony at which family members wiped tears.

"He made the Marine Corps better, his fellow marines better and the world better,' said the commanding general of the 1st Marine Division. "You have our undying gratitude."

Contact the writer: 949-465-5424 or vjolly@ocregister.com

True American Hero.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    He was a high school wrestler, Definately a Warrior from the day he was born. No Mickey Mouse problems of parents and county law or girlfriend issues or wanting guaranteed Recon.

I've seen him before!!! Where the heck man....this is gonna bug me. I've seen that picture, maybe it was on this forum a while back, but he is definitely a Marines Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    I joined 3/5 after the tour in question, but in between my deployments I had the honor to attend this ceremony. Terrible as it sounds, it didn't seem like an honor at the time, mind you. We were only told that there would be a Bn formation. During the "rehearsal" when I heard the citation read and other speakers practicing, it began to become clear. By the time the actual ceremony took place, I wasn't sure I could hear the story told again; it simply hurt too much. I didn't know this Marine and I wasn't there for Al Fajr, but I have seen so much pain and sacrifice from the bottom up. When it goes down, you can never tell who will come through. Sure was an inspiration to all of us, especially in a time like this when we are in need of these reminders of the legacy entrusted to us. Many Marines become jaded or disillusioned as the mission loses its glamour. It is that steady work, day in and day out where we define ourselves and who we are..

s/f
    Chris

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    No Mickey Mouse problems of parents and county law or girlfriend issues or wanting guaranteed Recon.
    LOL!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Marines like Adlesperger, along with Peralta and Dunham, are the kind of Marines that motivate me to be a Marine. Semper Fi Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin09 View Post
    Marines like Adlesperger, along with Peralta and Dunham, are the kind of Marines that motivate me to be a Marine. Semper Fi Marine.
    If you havn't read the rules your not suppose to say Semper Fi if your not a Marine.. Just so you know.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    If you havn't read the rules your not suppose to say Semper Fi if your not a Marine.. Just so you know.
    Sorry, I forgot about that, I made the post and then remembered that only Marines are allowed to say it. I'll remember next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin09 View Post
    Sorry, I forgot about that, I made the post and then remembered that only Marines are allowed to say it. I'll remember next time.

THATH'S IT......HIT THE DECK AND GIVE ME 50...4 COUNT PUSH UPS...MAGGOT...

Thread Information