Brand new Marine!! - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Haynes View Post
    Ah, I see. I thought he was saying that SOI sucks or something. BTW, DOES SOI suck or is it pretty fun (I heard from some Marines that it's tough but it's a blast)?
    Just like anything in the Marine Corps, it's what you make of it. I'm sure SOI is tough (I went to MCT) and parts of it will probably suck but you're there to learn so listen to your instructors and make the most of it. Remember that they are preparing you for combat and there is a reason for everything.

Good luck and congratulations on becoming a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Congratulations Marine! Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Haynes View Post
    Thanks, guys. I gotta get ready for SOI whilst enjoying my leave at the same time, though!
    I do have a serious concern right now: during Table 2 firing at PI, I wore a flak jacket that was too big for me (a medium; I should have gotten a small). The padding covered my shoulder pocket where I would have originally put the stock of the rifle. So, during firing, the rifle was hitting my arm (right arm). Ever since then, my arm hasn't felt the same and I struggle to do pull ups. While on leave, can I go see a doctor? Who pays for it, and do I need any paperwork? Do I get anything to put in my SRB if I see a doctor?
    Thanks again and Semper Fi!
    It's a bit late but Congrats Marine!
    Is your arm numb or something? I had my whole arm numb since Table 1 to a point I lost strength to do as much pull-ups as I used to, but the nerve recovered by itself and I knocked out 20 for Final PFT. It took several weeks, but if you want to go to medical to make sure, go to medical on base near you, or find a civilian provider for Tricare: That's how I went and got my eye exam, but my recruiter told me I could've gone to the base close to my house.

Quote Originally Posted by jungholee90 View Post
    It's a bit late but Congrats Marine!
    Is your arm numb or something? I had my whole arm numb since Table 1 to a point I lost strength to do as much pull-ups as I used to, but the nerve recovered by itself and I knocked out 20 for Final PFT. It took several weeks, but if you want to go to medical to make sure, go to medical on base near you, or find a civilian provider for Tricare: That's how I went and got my eye exam, but my recruiter told me I could've gone to the base close to my house.
    Yeah, my arm is numb, and it's been REALLY hard to do pull ups or even push ups, which is ridiculous! I'll be sure to get it checked out when I get to SOI.
    And thanks for all the congrats, guys and gals! I appreciate it a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    He means he is unhappy with the Marine Corps so everyone else will also be. He seems to think he is the rule, not the exception.

Achped, I challenge you to try to motivate these poolees and new Marines instead of coming on here telling them of your escapades and shennanigans. They don't come here to be demotivated, and hopefully your purpose here isn't to demotivate them. I seriously question your intentions on this site and with these poolees/Marines.

BTW, congrats, Pvt!
    I'm glad you have such an insight on to how I feel devil dog, I guess SOI was a lolly-gag for you and you were super motivated and such the entire time right? Listen I'm not trying to demotivate any of these poolees, just letting them know the truth. SOI sucks. Its training. Its hard training. They will be hungry, cold/hot, tired, achy, sore, bored. If I'm lieing about any of this please, feel free to correct me, but I'm not. Especially in ITB? You might as well go back to being a recruit. Its the best training in the world but it sure as hell isn't motivating. I may word it in a way that seems I hate poolees/boot Marines, but many a Marine has said the same exact thing on these boards.

If you want to question anything of mine you can do it through a PM, I'll be glad to answer any questions you have. Please forgive me as I may not have a timely response as I'm currently in Iraq though, not in an office in Kansas City.

Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    I'm glad you have such an insight on to how I feel
    Well, considering I'm not new to this forum you have to keep in mind just how much **** I've read from you. Think long and hard about it. History is history, and you can't change that, but don't try to play down the fact that all you have done in the poolee hall is A) Try to impress poolees with your various stories or B) Try to convince poolees about how terrible their lives will be once they become Marines.

devil dog
    I'm glad you finally got over your problem about those two words. I remember a few months back you got ****ed at a Marine who called you that. I guess maybe you are finally coming along.

but many a Marine has said the same exact thing on these boards.
    Many a Marine has a better track record than you too. I don't know you personally, only as a member of this site. But I won't be coy with you, all you've shown me on this site is that you are a bad Marine.

Please forgive me as I may not have a timely response as I'm currently in Iraq though, not in an office in Kansas City.
    I guess the office you're in in Iraq has better internet connection than my house then, because you STILL manage to post here more than I do. Since the 7th you've posted 6 times, me? This is my 2nd. Life must be horrible for you. lmao.

I like that though, trying to diminish what everyone stateside is doing in the Corps because you're a salty combat vet in Iraq after being there for a week...in a warehouse...nice. Show those Iraqi boxes whose boss! Kill!

Credits
    Savings
    Pvt. Haynes: you have what is commonly refered to as sling palsy.However the actual term is:Brachial Plexus Palsy, also known as Erb’s palsy, is a paralysis or weakness of the arm caused by an injury to one or more nerves that control and supply the muscles of the shoulder and upper extremities (upper brachial plexus). It is more commonly seen in newborns (neonates) and is often the result of a difficult delivery. When it occurs in adults, the cause typically is an injury that has caused stretching, tearing or other trauma to the brachial plexus network. The brachial plexus is the network of nerves that conducts signals from the spine to the shoulder, arm, and hand.

There are four types of brachial plexus injury: avulsion, the most severe type, in which the nerve is ripped from the spine; rupture, in which the nerve is torn but not at the point at which it is attached to the spine; neuroma, in which the nerve is torn and has tried to heal but scar tissue has grown around the site; and neuropraxia (stretch), the most common form of injury, in which the nerve has been damaged but not torn.

It occurrs when the nerve is compressed to the point of damaging the nerve itself. It might recover on it's own and it might not. I had the same thing happen to my arm when I was in second phase and I spent a month in MRP to rehabilitate it. I will tell you this, you are better off going to seek care the sooner the better. With serious cases it can be permanent and if it is stretched immediate treatment and rehab is recommended.

I know this is not something that you probably want to deal with on your leave but you could suffer serious permanent damage and you need to get the injury assessed.

Congrats to all of the new Marines. Enjoy your time off. Look me up if you need anything!!!

Semper Fi

Gunz out ~

Quote Originally Posted by TJR1070 View Post
    Pvt. Haynes: you have what is commonly refered to as sling palsy.However the actual term is:Brachial Plexus Palsy, also known as Erb’s palsy, is a paralysis or weakness of the arm caused by an injury to one or more nerves that control and supply the muscles of the shoulder and upper extremities (upper brachial plexus). It is more commonly seen in newborns (neonates) and is often the result of a difficult delivery. When it occurs in adults, the cause typically is an injury that has caused stretching, tearing or other trauma to the brachial plexus network. The brachial plexus is the network of nerves that conducts signals from the spine to the shoulder, arm, and hand.

There are four types of brachial plexus injury: avulsion, the most severe type, in which the nerve is ripped from the spine; rupture, in which the nerve is torn but not at the point at which it is attached to the spine; neuroma, in which the nerve is torn and has tried to heal but scar tissue has grown around the site; and neuropraxia (stretch), the most common form of injury, in which the nerve has been damaged but not torn.

It occurrs when the nerve is compressed to the point of damaging the nerve itself. It might recover on it's own and it might not. I had the same thing happen to my arm when I was in second phase and I spent a month in MRP to rehabilitate it. I will tell you this, you are better off going to seek care the sooner the better. With serious cases it can be permanent and if it is stretched immediate treatment and rehab is recommended.

I know this is not something that you probably want to deal with on your leave but you could suffer serious permanent damage and you need to get the injury assessed.
    Thank you very much for the information. I'm getting really nervous now. It's been over 4 weeks since Table 2 (BWT) and my arm hasn't gotten any better. I decided I am going to get it checked out first thing when I get to SOI. I just pray it's nothing too serious.
    Thanks again for the information. I appreciate it!

For what its worth if its something like that you can go to a civilian ER while on leave, just show your military ID, or you can go to a military base if it has a hospital with an ER, if they ask for you unit just tell them SOI east/west.

When you check into SOI they will ask you if you are hurt, if you are going ITB I suggest you be 100% healthy before hand, MCT, suck up ANYTHING. However that will be your choice, if you are going to MCT I wouldn't go to a Dr or anything. Its not worth being put in MRP. Trust me.

Credits
    Savings
    Alright now here this Private Haynes, call your recruiter and ask for his personal advice since he will know of any treatment facilities that you may be able to be seen at. DO NOT mess around with this it could affect the entire rest of your life. If you do wait until SOI/MCT DO tell the Doctors at medical. With all due respect to the young Corporal, DO NOT try to complete either SOI or MCT with the injury you have recieved. I know from personal experience that without full and correct treatment it will only get WORSE and will probably become permanent.

You know after re-reading what I said, that was bad on my part. You can risk permanent injury, but something like a sprained ankle or something of that sort I would most definitely suck up if it was MCT. It just isn't worth going to MRP. Besides, MCT instructors are lenient and if you tell them you are injured they will do their best to keep you in training, I have seen this personally. ITB however, you need to go to the doc.

Quote Originally Posted by TJR1070 View Post
    Alright now here this Private Haynes, call your recruiter and ask for his personal advice since he will know of any treatment facilities that you may be able to be seen at. DO NOT mess around with this it could affect the entire rest of your life. If you do wait until SOI/MCT DO tell the Doctors at medical. With all due respect to the young Corporal, DO NOT try to complete either SOI or MCT with the injury you have recieved. I know from personal experience that without full and correct treatment it will only get WORSE and will probably become permanent.
    I have decided I'll get it checked out when I get to SOI. I'm just hoping it's not too serious that I'll get kicked out of the Marine Corps or something. I'm also hoping I won't spend a long time in rehabilitation (if that is warranted). You guys just pray for me about this.

Hey man, just remember if you end up in the Mrp, stay away from the dirtbags. You will see people selling drugs and sneaking into the female squad bay at night. If you value the rest of your life, just keep the PT up (since you can run), and stay motivated and heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    Hey man, just remember if you end up in the Mrp, stay away from the dirtbags. You will see people selling drugs and sneaking into the female squad bay at night. If you value the rest of your life, just keep the PT up (since you can run), and stay motivated and heal.
    I actually had a question about PT..even if I have to heal for my arm, will they allow me to go running and such?
    And we STILL can't be with the female Marines? Darn it....
    Thanks, God bless and Semper Fi,
    Pvt. Haynes

Thread Information