Vfw
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vfw

Vfw

I've been asked about joining the VFW from a lady I know who is former Army. She gave me some info, but I really don't know much about them or what they do. Anybody know about them?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer56328 View Post
    I've been asked about joining the VFW from a lady I know who is former Army. She gave me some info, but I really don't know much about them or what they do. Anybody know about them?
    I'm not a member but I beleive they all get together, talk trash, march in parades, and engage in other community events; all of the above are well-planned out at the bar.

I got a life membership over here in Afghanistan. It's pretty cool, you should definitely join, get an annual membership or "easy pay life membership" if you can.

These veteran organizations were/are put together to aid and/or assist military personnel and veterans in the obtaining of benefits, care, and the protection of those entitlements we earned in serving our country. It's also encumbent of younger men and women joining those ranks to protect those same rights for future military personnel.

Not all events are planned in bars, as not all posts have a bar. I was all state post commander for the VFW one year, and we worked out of a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1Devildog View Post
    These veteran organizations were/are put together to aid and/or assist military personnel and veterans in the obtaining of benefits, care, and the protection of those entitlements we earned in serving our country. It's also encumbent of younger men and women joining those ranks to protect those same rights for future military personnel.

Not all events are planned in bars, as not all posts have a bar. I was all state post commander for the VFW one year, and we worked out of a garage.
    I have never been a member but I was once invited to join.The one thing that turned me off was that they had members that had never served in any branch of the Military.I can only speak for this one Post in NJ but it seemed like just a place to go to get Drunk.I am sure that they do fine work as well but I just didn't see myself fitting in to this particular Post

Yea I was asked to join....I didnt mind the bar and drinking part, I minded that it was all services.....Dont know about you guys, but I just cant see eye to eye with most army men, air force women, and whatever other branches.....am I the only one that has that problem? ha

Quote Originally Posted by AL49BGN View Post
    I have never been a member but I was once invited to join.The one thing that turned me off was that they had members that had never served in any branch of the Military.I can only speak for this one Post in NJ but it seemed like just a place to go to get Drunk.I am sure that they do fine work as well but I just didn't see myself fitting in to this particular Post
    That's too bad, and I'm sorry for that. We were extremely active in our community, pancake breakfasts, chili nights, helping out other veterans, going to the medical centers and doing what we could to make their stays more pleasant. Helping spouses and or their children to cope and/or deal with whatever it was coming down the pike. Dealing with VA staff, and such to get those items the veteran might need when he or she went home. It behhoves us to support organizations like this in either paying your dues or getting out there and helping out. If you don't care for a certain post go to the organizations website on the internet and find another in your area to support.

Come on Marines. . . . Get your arses busy and support those that supported you. Get busy and get ready to support those that will need you. Lay these ideas aside about dealing with other services, and be the leaders I know you to be. . . You don't have to belly up to the bar unless you want to, and as a matter of fact the other guys may well respect you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1Devildog View Post
    Come on Marines. . . . Get your arses busy and support those that supported you. Get busy and get ready to support those that will need you. Lay these ideas aside about dealing with other services, and be the leaders I know you to be. . . You don't have to belly up to the bar unless you want to, and as a matter of fact the other guys may well respect you for it.
    Alpha I will check out the website and check to see about another Post but I can only speak for that one Post.For all I know they did great things.However when I saw that civilians were members because they needed members.I also do not mean family members but people from the town that joined to have a place to go drink for less.Anyway that is only one Post out of many.

And one more thing, if you don't like the VFW, there's also the Disabled American Veterans, the American Legion, AMVETS, Marine Corps League, Military Order of the Purple Heart, and side organizations in these organizations, most of which I'm a life member. Get out and support, get out and get involved, and more importantly, get out and have some fun. Quite taking yourselves so seriously. Life's to short, enjoy what's been laid in front of you.

I didn't know civilins were even able to join an organization like this. Were they families of veterans or anything like that. I don't have a problem being in an organization w/ the other services, but having civilians seems odd to me.

I didn't know civilins were even able to join an organization like this. Were they families of veterans or anything like that. I don't have a problem being in an organization w/ the other services, but having civilians seems odd to me.
    They were civilians not family members and that is what left a bad taste in my mouth.I believe that they just treated that Post like a corner Bar.I again do not know what they did for Vets I never went back or discussed activities with any members.Alpha is right I am sure that other Post aren't run that way and we do need to support our brothers.

Like you I don't much care for it either, and one would want to work at correcting that problem by getting further into the ranks of the organization, becoming the National Commander and such. If I, a lowly LCpl can rise in these ranks of these organizations, I know those with much higher ranks than I would/could make a huge difference.

About the civilians, sometimes they're people that want to do their part as well. Not saying that's true with everyone, but there is the exception. Those that couldn't make it into the service for one reason or another that love serving you and others so much. . .But like in anything good, there is always the possibility of abuse or evil if you will.

For everyones information especially AL49BGN. VFW stands for Veterans Of Foreign Wars. This means any and all Veterans who served over seasduring war. This is the only organization that has this privledge. All other organizations except any veteran.

There purpose is to serve all veterans who have a problem. These tasks include helping out with the VA,Laws that are being enacted in Congress and the Senate,they are our advocates for money and all other special interests for us. We have attorneys that are free for our use as an organization. We conduct services free of charge at funeral homes,and cemeteries.We fight for all rights for any veteran. They provide health insurance discounts,help a veterans family when they need money,help families when they need clothing when ever they are down on their luck(hurricanes and other natural disasters.) They have access to many other things and work with other groups such as the DAV,American Legion,Viet Nam Vets organizations and the Military Order Of the Purple Heart. I am a life member of Post 7504,my old man was a life member and a Veteran of World War ll Iwo Jima,who also was wounded in action losing his left hand. Get Active and support your veterans instead of just talking about it. With the new members being voted in Congress and the Senate there are very few veterans and we will lose more than we have ever gained. I hope our younger generation will become involved with all these great service organizations.

And yes there are bars in some organizations that are used by service members of other branches and there are civilians who also come to drink. Understand this though. They are only there to help the Veterans organization raise money,they are club members only and are never allowed to attend meetings held by the VFW.

I hope I have helped you in making a good decision in joining the VFW or any other organization that helps us veterans.

Marine Free Member 2ndLAADBnWRENCH's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Wow, Brother Boot Lace said it all!!!

I am a life member of VFW DAV and the Marine Corps League also a member of Scottish American Military Socioty.. One thing I can say about VFW.. If your in thier club every man elbow to elbow was in some mud with the blood!!!!! All military organizations are there for the veteran in one capacity or another. If ya ain't in it its just like Voting for President... Why do you ***** if your not involved....Make a differance be a part and help others and help your local community..

Just my 2 cents...

Thread Information