WWI Marine Corps Grouping
Create Post

WWI Marine Corps Grouping

All:

From time to time, I post modern photos that military collectors, including myself, have taken of their collection. These photos are posted with permission, and being shown so that Marines can see what Marines wore 'back in the day'.

This grouping comes from the US Militaria Forum website, and is posted courtesy of Dennis (AKA: Belleauwood).

History of the purchase:

Dennis bought the helmet from ebay, and was told about the uniform by another collector. He was able to join the two together.

Here is the entire lot:

The Marine was Private Frank Ernst, and he served with Company "M", 13th Marine Regiment (2nd Divison), in World War I.

He was awarded the Good Conduct Medal and World War I Victory Medal with "France" clasp for his service.

Here is his helmet. Pvt Ernst, like many soldiers and Marines of his time, painted his helmet in commemoration of his service. (All troops were allowed, by War Dept order, to keep their helmet, gas mask, and 1 complete uniform). Like everyone else, Pvt Ernst returned to the United States aboard ship, and many men painted their helmets during this time.

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 09-16-08 at 09:10 AM.

Pvt Ernst

Here is a closeup of the collar of Pvt Ernst's uniform. Note the Eagle Globe and Anchor collar devices.

His shoulder sleeve insignia. This is the 5th Marine Regiment patch, which is really interesting, because many Marines wore the 2nd Division (Indianhead) patch.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Wow, that blouse is in excellent shape! Thanks for that piece of history.

Painting your helmet sounds better than making up a stupid EAS song!

Pvt Ernst

His overseas cap, with EGA.

He secured it to his cap with....

A French coin! Pretty cool

Lastly, on the left side, his regimental number as well:

His 2 overseas stripes. Note that these have the scarlet background, proper for Marines!

And, his shooting badge:

What did he do overseas? Well, among other things, he guarded the docks at Bordeaux, France. Pvt Ernst brought back quite a few photos, some of which I'll put here.

Perhaps on Liberty?

(His name is spelled wrong on the photo, it's 'Ernst')

The unit roster...anyone see a famous name here?

This photo shows his Medals and some other bits. The multicolored ribbon on the ribbon bar is another civilian form of a Victory medal, given to disembarking military folks in the US.

The Good Conduct Medal in those days was numbered, as shown here:

Lastly, back home, Pvt Ernst was obviously proud of his service. Some final shots of him and his lady.

And, yes, that's the same helmet. The rifle could also be a 'bring back', but we just don't know.

She's wearing his overseas cap!

That's it! Hope you enjoyed the little bit of history!

That's awesome, thanks for that.

Thread Information