Poolie Son wants Recon
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Poolie Son wants Recon

Good morning. My son has been in DEP since June 2008 and will leave for boot camp June 15, 2009. All along his intention (at least what he told me) was to choose aircraft mechanics as his MOS. Now, six weeks before he leaves, he wants to change it to infantry because he thinks that will lead to recon. He has an appointment with the area head recruiter, who is new to our area and is a career recruiter, this afternoon but he doesn't want me to go with him. I have told him that whatever he chooses I will support his decision. My concern is that he thinks this is the best way to get to recon and I'm not sure that it is. He is also drawn by the $7,000 sign on bonus they have promised him.

Good morning, ma'am.

He isn't promised 7k, if he wants the bonus then he'll have to make it through Boot while maxing out swim qual and the PFT/CFT. Then he'll have to go through ITB, get picked up for BRC, and make it through there before even getting a whiff of bonus. More knowledgeable Marines will correct me if I'm missing anything or giving you bad scoop.

As for the path to Recon, there are a multitude of threads on here and in the Poolee forums that either he or you can go through. Some recommend that he get to the fleet and get a deployment or two under his belt before trying for Recon. Others might tell for him to shoot for it at Boot and SOI.

If anything, make sure he's a really strong swimmer and then google his desired MOS field.

As an aside, did he tell you why he doesn't want you to come? I would have loved for my parents to come with me. I could have talked over the benefits and disadvantages and they could have directed any questions to the recruiter and helped me make plans.

Last edited by NoRemorse; 05-06-09 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Forgot a few points.

Right on NoRemorse... the Bonus is only paid upon graduation from Basic Recon Course (BRC) and obtaining the PMOS of 0321. Ma'am, not saying your son is not motivated enough or physically capable enough, but everyone that reports to BRC thinks they are going to make it... the truth is that more than 50% drop from BRC.

It would be easier for your son to get picked up for the Recon Indoc, if he went in as an 03xx... going in as an Airwinger, he stands little chance of ever making it over to Recon. The Aircraft MOS is going to have him go through the MCT track not SOI, so if he was to pass the Recon Indoc when in the fleet, he would need to go back and go through SOI to gain the PMOS of 0311 then on to BRC for his 0321.

If they can switch his MOS to that of an 03xx then he'll at least be in the right field to get a chance for a BRC try-out.

As NoRemorse stated... he'll need to shine at Swim Qual, Needs to Qualify Expert on the Rifle Range, and will need a high First Class PFT. Upper body strength is a key elimination factor at BRC... Pull ups being the measuring tool... He'll need to be able to get 20 good dead hangs, as most of the class will be well over the 20 mark even over the 30 mark.

My Nephew just finished BRC in February... they started with a class of 70 and graduated 30 Marines and 2 Navy Corpsman. So with the UZ contract option he would be granted a seat at BRC... the rest would be up to him and his physical and mental ability.

Best of luck to him in whatever he selects...

Thank you for the response noremorse. Even though he's been planning this for a year I still feel kind of new and don't understand all of the initials but I will look it all up!!

The 7K is not a make it or break it thing for him. It's attractive but I don't think that is why he changed his mind. I can't say that I'm surprised that he changed his mind. I thought all along that he might be just telling me what I wanted to hear so that I wouldn't bug him about it. I know it's his decision but as a mom I probably would have tried to talk him out of infantry. He knows me well!!!

As far as why he doesn't want me to go with him, he just turned 18 and thinks he can do everything on his own now!!! My husband and I have been a big part of the poolie functions since he joined, cooking for them or helping in any way that we can. Because of that we know all of the recruiters and have asked tons of questions. He has a lot of trust and admiration for the recruiters so he thinks that he will be fine without me. I think he partly wants to make this decision on his own without help from Mom, and maybe he has questions to ask that he doesn't want me to have the answers to. He knows how much I will worry!!!

In that case, ma'am, make sure your writing hand has plenty of endurance. Letters are a lifeline to the outside world and he'll need that helping hand during Boot, whether or not he thinks so or will admit to it now.

No man is an island, and no Marine is alone.

Ok, so let me see if I understand. If he goes in with aircraft mechanics mos he has little chance of recon. If he goes in infantry he still has a lot to do before he can try for recon??? Is infantry the best option for him if recon is what he really wants? What can he do with that when he gets out?

He does have the upper body strength, he can already do 16 or 17 pull ups and he hasn't even gone through boot camp yet. He can swim but he has never done it on a regular basis so that could be an issue. I know that he is capable but it just isn't something that he has worked on. His asvab score was 94 and he has the ability to be a straight A student, although he isn't. I think he will do fine on the rifle range. We are hunters, I know it's a lot different but he is a good shot.

I am very prepared to begin writing letters as soon as he leaves, maybe before!!! I have a lot of family and we will all be writing him so he will have lots of mail.

In the last six months or so the ego has grown so much!! He thinks that he knows everything and if I don't agree with him he gets mad. Do you know if that is common before they leave for boot camp? I hope that boot camp tones that down a little bit. Our relationship is a little strained right now so that's also part of the reason he doesn't want me there.

Ma'am... if he asks the Recruiter for the UZ option 03xx contract he WILL get a seat at BRC after finishing Boot Camp with an Expert Rifle Qual, CWS2 Swim Qual, and First Class PFT. Then on to SOI, where he will need to also do well with Land Navigation, and have no issues with the long humps (forced marches with heavy pack). Recon Marines "Ruck-Run" as part of their weekly Fleet life...which is actual distance running with a 50-60 pound pack.

Swimming is a huge part of BRC, a lot of the class drops come from the swimming... distance swims... open ocean swims, 50 meter underwater swims... treading water with gear on or weights in hand... it's hardcore swimming for sure. Keep in mind the MOS is not just Reconnaissance... it's Amphibious Reconnaissance.

Infantry is his only option if he really wants to be a Recon Marine.

As the Corporal stated, ma'am, it's just a heck of a lot harder moving from a non-Infantry MOS. There are a lot of factors to consider, like whether or not a command will release an exemplary Marine from their unit to try for the Indoc.

As for the best option? Results will vary. It's a tough road to take but you can see why when you consider the end result.

If he wants Recon that badly then he should focus on his physical fitness and his ability to swim. Get him swimming now if he wants it that badly. He'll need to pound through miles of water and have lungs like a whale. For him to get to BRC and fail he'd either have to break physically or mentally.

As for his hunting translating to the rifle range, that would depend upon his current form and how quickly he can forget that and do exactly as he's told.

Like I said before, there are more knowledgeable Marines on this site than I and there are other threads you can search through. Going through them should give you a clearer picture of what your son will be willingly and lovingly subjecting himself to.

Ma'am the ego is normal... my Nephew was the same way. When he returns from Boot Camp you will see a dramatic change in him.

Quote Originally Posted by LHMHMOM View Post
    I am very prepared to begin writing letters as soon as he leaves, maybe before!!! I have a lot of family and we will all be writing him so he will have lots of mail.

In the last six months or so the ego has grown so much!! He thinks that he knows everything and if I don't agree with him he gets mad. Do you know if that is common before they leave for boot camp? I hope that boot camp tones that down a little bit. Our relationship is a little strained right now so that's also part of the reason he doesn't want me there.
    He'll learn real quick to stow that ego away, ma'am. If not, the Drill Instructors will stow it for him until he's ready to earn himself a real air of arrogance.

A few months away should give him some of that quiet stoicism that Marines are known for. We look stunning, we're the best, everybody knows it, but we can put our heads down and get the job done without so much as a pat on the back when we're done.

Good work done well is its own reward.

Thank you both so much for all of the info and encouragement. I really feel better. I have asked him to call me before his meeting so I can tell him what y'all told me and he can go in prepared!!!

If he's looking to do it on his own then I'd recommend he at least troll the website on his own or you email the link to this thread if at all possible. He's a big boy now, right?

Semper Fi

Best of luck to your sons in their endeavours and to the rest of the family. If he's good enough to be our brother then we'll welcome him with open arms.

Thanks again for the kind words. The more I talk to Marines and Marine families the more comfortable I am with his decision to become a Marine. I should be talking to him soon, his appointment with his recruiter is in a little over an hour. I'll tell him everything that I have learned.

Ok, my son asked a question that I thought I knew the answer to but he thinks something different than I do. Does he have to qualify as expert in swimming and rifle range in boot camp or after boot camp to go into recon? Should we get him with a swim coach now or will he be able to get what he needs in boot camp?

Thanks!!

Thread Information