Questions from a wannabee - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by KearneyJustinD View Post
    Yea I thought about that when I wrote it; but in boot don't you call all the DI's sir anyway? and once you earn the Marine title then you call them by rank?
    For now, you will not go wrong addressing enlisted Marines by rank. You will call them sir in boot camp, but there are a lot of things you'll be doing in bootcamp that are just silly to do when you're not there. So, until you go, you don't need to salute the mailbox, either.

Like everyone's said, you're doing the right things. Stay in shape and keep your nose clean and you'll be fine. There's way too many things about boot camp that you just couldn't comprehend unless you've been there. As for the "academic" part or knowledge as we like to call it, it's good to know a few things before you go but you really won't have much of a head start from the ones who don't know anything. Just pay attention whenever theres any periods of intstruction conducted by the DIs.
    Try to focus on developing good leadership traits and being an effective leader so you can have a shot at being a squad leader or even the guide for your platoon.

Just remember, if you wanna stand out in boot camp make sure you stand out in a good way, otherwise you can just stand by..... good luck

Quote Originally Posted by CplGonzo17 View Post
    Like everyone's said, you're doing the right things. Stay in shape and keep your nose clean and you'll be fine. There's way too many things about boot camp that you just couldn't comprehend unless you've been there. As for the "academic" part or knowledge as we like to call it, it's good to know a few things before you go but you really won't have much of a head start from the ones who don't know anything. Just pay attention whenever theres any periods of intstruction conducted by the DIs.
    Try to focus on developing good leadership traits and being an effective leader so you can have a shot at being a squad leader or even the guide for your platoon.

Just remember, if you wanna stand out in boot camp make sure you stand out in a good way, otherwise you can just stand by..... good luck
    I've always wondered about that;
    I haven't had the privelage of being part of an ROTC class. This is a very small school and base.
    That being said, would I still be able to become a squad leader out of boot? How does one go about become a squad leader out of boot? Do you have to do beyond good on everything in boot?
    I thought only people with about 2 years of ROTC could become high enough ranks in boot to even be considered for the squad leader position...

Quote Originally Posted by DOWORK1 View Post
    I don't think there are any officers here? Sir is for a Officer and Marine is for enlisted. If you are already a Marine you can address someone by their rank like me..Lcpl Dowork1 or Sgt Dallas..get it? Most Marines who are Pvt-Lcpl will address eachother by their last name. Now you learned one more thing that will help you in boot!
    Very true Marine but I have to tell you the local Marine recruiter who is a SSGT calls me sir and I told him there is no need for that but he thanked me for serving before him which has made it easier for him,his words,oh well,lmfao.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    KearneyJustinD:

Have you done a search in the Poolee Forum or the Ask A Marine Forum before you ask these questions?

Questions are a valuable resource and we don't mind answering the questions as long as they are not repetitive and bordering on redundancy.

In the fore mentioned threads the answers to your questions are there. If for some reason they do not answer your question then ask for clarification. However it would behoove you to read the threads or put a word into search and see if you can find an answer.

The search button is your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by KearneyJustinD View Post
    I've always wondered about that;
    I haven't had the privelage of being part of an ROTC class. This is a very small school and base.
    That being said, would I still be able to become a squad leader out of boot? How does one go about become a squad leader out of boot? Do you have to do beyond good on everything in boot?
    I thought only people with about 2 years of ROTC could become high enough ranks in boot to even be considered for the squad leader position...
    You don't become a squad leader "out of boot", it's a position you hold while in recruit training. A squad leader in recruit training is still a recruit, they aren't any higher ranking than the platoon sh*tbirds or any other recruits. However, they have an added amount of responsibility and are put in charge of their respective squad of recruits. No JROTC or any of that shiznit is required to hold this position. You just gotta prove that you're motivated and can motivate the other recruits. Obviously, you've gotta be someone the other recruits can look up to so you always have to preform in an exemplary manner. And if someone in your squad fails, the Drill Instructors may just decide to direct their wrath towards you as the squad leader. You can get fired and replaced by another recruit at any time and whoever manages to graduate as a squad leader will be meritoriously promoted to PFC. Hope that answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by CplGonzo17 View Post
    You don't become a squad leader "out of boot", it's a position you hold while in recruit training. A squad leader in recruit training is still a recruit, they aren't any higher ranking than the platoon sh*tbirds or any other recruits. However, they have an added amount of responsibility and are put in charge of their respective squad of recruits. No JROTC or any of that shiznit is required to hold this position. You just gotta prove that you're motivated and can motivate the other recruits. Obviously, you've gotta be someone the other recruits can look up to so you always have to preform in an exemplary manner. And if someone in your squad fails, the Drill Instructors may just decide to direct their wrath towards you as the squad leader. You can get fired and replaced by another recruit at any time and whoever manages to graduate as a squad leader will be meritoriously promoted to PFC. Hope that answers your question.
    That helps!
    Thanks alot

Thread Information