Questions from a wannabee
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Questions from a wannabee

Howya doin Marines? I'm new to this forum (although have been reading the posts for some time). So basically here it is. I'm 16, 17 in november, and will probably be done with high school May, '09. I can do 3 miles in 18 minutes, 21 pullups and 109 crunches (timed) in 2 minutes. I do lift weights every now and then, but really just focus on pushups, pullups, crunches, and running; so I think i'm good for the PFT.
    But my main question is in academics and whatnot. I was wondering what I should study? So far what i'm studying and learning by heart is the 11 general orders of a sentry, Core values, rank insignias (pay grades and whatnot), Marine Corps hymn, Rifle Creed, Marine Code of conduct (those 6 articles), and the Characteristics of the M16A4 Assault Rifle.
    Is that all I should be studying really? Or is there more to it? I havn't really studied the History of the Corps much, but know stuff such as the Birthday, place, and some key things.
    My other question is can anyone confirm this information for me?
    http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/Colt_M16A4
    I looked around on the forum and cuoldn't find anything on the M16A4 so I posted this question.

I did read the forum rules and used the search tool, but didnt' really find what I needed. Thanks.

You need to fill out your profile.

Alright I'll fill out my profile now.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Can you bleed and die??? [ Don't mean to offend ].

No offense taken.

Profile filled out; not fully, I'll finish it tomorrow morning. I look forward to some answers .

By the way, I joined this forum because I like the atmosphere; I tried the ************* forums, but it was full of people that didn't have serious answers. I got annoyed.

Don't worry about studying knowledge. No, seriously. You'll pass the test in boot and beyond. If you seriously consider about enlisting in a very near future, spend the little time you have on fun stuff (done responsibly, of course).

You'll repeat the rifle creed so many times you'll be able to sing that sh*t every night before bed. You'll repeat your general orders and you M16A2 specs so many times during humps you'll want to lay down and die.

Seriously, keep up your PT routine and don't lose the motivation. You time would be better spent trying to get contract PFC as a poolee (which is much more useful in boot than knowing your GOs).

Wow, ok thanks.
    Yea PT isn't a problem for me. Only things I worry about is the academics. But since you said not to; I won't. I'll continue studying them, but I guess I'll just keep most of my focus towards getting a perfect 300 :]
    When it comes ot crunches in the Marine Corps PFT; do they do real crunches (like barely come off the ground?) or do they do sit up type things? I saw in several videos recruits going with cross arms (fingers pointing at shoulders) and going until they're arms touch their thys. This whole time i've been doing the crunches where you only lift your upper back off the ground... So just some clarification please

Also, can being scuba certified get me any special benefits or what not? I remember reading from this one guy who was force recon, saying that he had some...scuba certification badge (like the crossed rifles for expert shooter)? Force Recon by the way, is my ultimate goal besides becoming a Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by KearneyJustinD View Post
    Also, can being scuba certified get me any special benefits or what not? I remember reading from this one guy who was force recon, saying that he had some...scuba certification badge (like the crossed rifles for expert shooter)? Force Recon by the way, is my ultimate goal besides becoming a Mustang
    Negative...being scuba certified as a civilian does not get you your scuba bubbles (the badge you're refering to). You have to be accepted and pass the scuba school to get those. Same thing as if you were a certified sky diver/instructor as a civilian. You don't get your jump wings until you get a seat to jump school in Georgia and pass that course.

If you pass the recon indoc and are accepted, you'll get to do both of those courses.

You are on the right track,just enjoy life until you ship out!Civilian certification means squat in the Corps.Keep up the good work,stay motivated and you will do just fine.Good Luck!

Wow, ok thanks.
    Yea PT isn't a problem for me. Only things I worry about is the academics. But since you said not to; I won't. I'll continue studying them, but I guess I'll just keep most of my focus towards getting a perfect 300 :]
    When it comes ot crunches in the Marine Corps PFT; do they do real crunches (like barely come off the ground?) or do they do sit up type things? I saw in several videos recruits going with cross arms (fingers pointing at shoulders) and going until they're arms touch their thys. This whole time i've been doing the crunches where you only lift your upper back off the ground... So just some clarification please
    A 300 PFT beat me out on Honor Man. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it because he still has my utmost respect and earned it by being a good Guide. But it was between him and me and when I shot company high shooter I got excited thinking that might put me over the top. I had a first class PFT but he ran a 300. At the time only the honor man got the Dress Blues. I had to buy mine.

Keep in shape, stay motivated and just enjoy life as it is for now.

Credits
    Savings
    You're doing all the right things, just stay outta trouble! Keep training and keep learning. Aside from the Marine Corps knowledge, set personal education goals. If you want to be a Mustanger someday, you'll need further education / degree(s). So keep pushing yourself academically. Although we never stop learning, it's a lot harder and usually more expensive to complete your formal education as you get older. Take any college level equivalent courses that you can now while in HS. Enjoy your youth also as you prepare to be a successful person in life.

Good luck!
    C

Your definitely going to need to be Scuba and Airborne qualified to attend boot for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by imajarhed View Post
    A 300 PFT beat me out on Honor Man. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it because he still has my utmost respect and earned it by being a good Guide. But it was between him and me and when I shot company high shooter I got excited thinking that might put me over the top. I had a first class PFT but he ran a 300. At the time only the honor man got the Dress Blues. I had to buy mine.

Keep in shape, stay motivated and just enjoy life as it is for now.
    I didn't really understand your post here. All I could comprehend was something about an honor man :P Could you try to elaborate a bit more please?

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

Quote Originally Posted by DOWORK1 View Post
    Your definitely going to need to be Scuba and Airborne qualified to attend boot for sure.
    FUNNY STUFF!!!

Thread Information