Any 03xx Marines
Create Post

Any 03xx Marines

First off I am a junior in high school and soon want to become a Marine. I am thinking about going 03xx but I still haven't decided yet. I just wanted to ask any infantry Marines if this is a good choice and if they enjoyed there job. I understand it is a very rough and demanding job. I just wanted to know what it was like, or what it is like for you. I know ultimately it is my decision but I still want to hear from some Marines.

Welcome to leatherneck.com, now search for the other 89458395 Infantry threads already out there.

Ok I will do that. Sorry if others have asked the same questions. I just now read the rules. Feel free to reply though. Thanks

Just a personal oppinion, Id say if you want a desk job join the airforce and if you want to be in the Marines then go grunt or atleast some kind of pog job thats close. Cant lie infantry sucks pretty hardcore alot of the time, but regardless of what is said were who every other mos in the Corps supports.

Quote Originally Posted by chadhertz View Post
    First off I am a junior in high school and soon want to become a Marine. I am thinking about going 03xx but I still haven't decided yet. I just wanted to ask any infantry Marines if this is a good choice and if they enjoyed there job. I understand it is a very rough and demanding job. I just wanted to know what it was like, or what it is like for you. I know ultimately it is my decision but I still want to hear from some Marines.
    Your grammar needs more attention.

It is difficult to explain to somebody who hasn't been there yet.
    Yes, it's difficult at times.
    Yes, it's fun.

Infantry or not?

Whether you choose to go infantry or not, has to be a personal choice. I served as both a tanker (1811) and in the grunts (0352).

I loved being a tanker, it was a unique job and there just are not that many Tankers in the Corps.

I liked the grunts because of the perverse pride you can claim just because it is the grunts, AND I got to do all the really cool stuff that I never could as a tanker; helos, lots of rappelling, zodiacs, the stuff you see on the commercials, etc...

Either way, I would say sign up for a combat job, the Corps is about fighting (get it in writing, never go open contract).

Try this:
    Imagine that you are out of the Corps 20 years from now and raising your family, during a conversation, your young son asked you what you did in the Corps. You look down and say to your son that you were a ________ in the Marine Corps.

Fill in that blank and THAT should be your job. Good luck.

I would stress to you to think about your future as well. The grunts are fine and if you plan on making a carreer out of the Marine Corps, then good on you. However, there are plenty of other jobs that are going to offer you higher paying jobs if you decide to get out after your first enlistment. Don't make an uninformed decision and do as well as you can on the ASVAB so as not to limit your choices.

That's a good point, being a gunner in a main battle tank is a hoot but in itself did not really qualify me for a whole lot else... LOL

I love being a grunt. My recruiter told me about all the sh*t you got to blow up , all the tatoos Id get, all the beer Id get to drink, all the wh*res Id get to bang, all the countries Id get to travel to, all the people Id get to meet, and all the fun s*it Id get to do. I loved it.
    He forgot to tell me about the weeks in the field without showering. He also didnt mention the humps, about getting f*cked with as a boot in the fleet. Im glad he didnt. You will not love being a grunt until you are no longer a grunt. When you look back on it and not doing the stupid sh*t that we do.
    Youll be ok. No matter what job that you do in the Marine Corps unless its actually a trade that you can carry over , does not matter on a job application. The only thing that matters on it, is that is says veteran.

I definately do not want a desk job. So thats out of the picture. Also there's just no way I would join any other service. I've wanted to be a Marine since I was probably 5 years old. Nothing else compares. I was thinking of being an armorer (21xx) or tanks (18xx). And I have a very good asvab score so my options are open. I'm very sure on 03xx though. Thank you for all you replies they've really helped. And sorry for my grammar.

Marine Free Member RememberMorriso's Avatar
    Salt Lake City, Utah Not my falt new unit till deploy
    Credits
    Savings
    I would never even dream of being anything other than a Grunt. My 2 cents.

Credits
    Savings
    Bottom line is this....whatever you decide to do with your Marine duty it will change you inside out,upside down and left side right...whether you are baking biscuits or wrenching on a Cobra gunship, you WILL, above all else, be a rifleman in THE CORPS the most feared weapon in the world!!

Good luck to you....

That is very true. Thank you for your advice LCpl. And good luck to you too.

The only luck Troutzilla needs is in catching that next brookie or rainbow...he's done his time and proven himself, believe me son.

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMorriso View Post
    I would never even dream of being anything other than a Grunt. My 2 cents.
    Ditto!

Thread Information