Need a little help
Create Post

Need a little help

My daughter and her classmates have been sending care packages and are becoming very discouraged because it seems the packages are going only to army personnel. Does anyone know of an address they can send packages to which would reach Marines and Sailors. A few of the students are interesting in the Marine Corps and would like to ask some active duty personnel questions. They would also appreciate a list of the best things to send in these packages.

Thanks.

Good question. I haven't been back over to the sandbox for almost 2 years, but while I was there, the care packages where overwhelming. It seemed we would get a ton of them every day. The "good stuff" was immediately taken and the rest was put on the "free" shelf.

I would recommend getting with your local reserve unit and checking their deployment status. If they are on the chopping blocks to head out, wait to send the packages until then. This will serve two purposes. One, they can tell you exactly what they need/want, and two you will be sure it gets to a Marine.

Just my input. Hope it helps.

Gunz out ~

One time we got back from a patrol and decided to go over to tent city. We ended up in a tent full of Army pukes(looking for a card game). Lining one whole wall were care packages. The Army guys were using them to trade with the Iraqis. One of our guys looked at one of the boxes and it said "To any Marine" on it. When further inspection revealed most all packages were to "Marines" we ended up in a big fight. Some Air Force Pararescue guys stitched the Army guys up when we got through. We loaded all the boxes on a truck and took them with us, handed them out to all the Marines we could. Story was them the boxes came in on Navy ships, Squids took the best stuff, passed down the rest to anyone wanting what was left. We got a lot of care packages dispite the theft.

SupChf is right. Check out your local reserves deployment rotation.

Lcpl R.D. Trimarchi
    H&S Co. S-3
    1stBn 2nd Mar.
    Unit 73040
    FPO AE 09509-3040

His wife passed on before he deployed and being that he's an E-3 I'm betting he's young and in a bit of turmoil with being deployed as well

bbowman, as the mother of twice deployed infantry Marine, soon to be three I am no stranger to care packages for Marines and Sailors. Generally what I have found they like the most are quick snacks, chips, peanuts, beef jerky, beef sticks, gummy candies, Jolly Ranchers, cookies, cakes, fruit cups, juice boxes (put in Ziploc bags), tuna pouches (they all seem to love tuna when they are in country), crackers, etc. Then of course each Marine will have his own personal favorites. Don't worry about the hygiene stuff, they get tons and tons of it. Make their boxes fun. If you are looking for names of Marines to mail to try the Ryan Rust Adopt a Marine program and see if they can help you out. I've attached a link to their website. They adopted our battalion and sent tons of care packages to our Marines and Sailors of the 3/2. Or try your local USMC recruiting office and see if they can't help you get hooked up with a deploying battalion. I hope this helps a little. If I can help in any other way please send me an email.

Semper Fi
    Joyce

http://www.ryanrust.com/AdoptAMarine.html

Several years ago, our daughter in DC found a web site to send packages to Marines, but without asking her I don't know which one.

The upshot was, cold weather was coming on and she found a platoon of Marines with a problem of their feet getting cold because they had no insulated socks. So, having just recieved a $2000 bonus, Amy decided to share and bought insulated socks for an entire platoon.

I'll have to ask her which site it was.

crate

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    1) My experience has been pretty good. My Marine son had an FPO address and my other son had an APO address. Seems like the FPO address's had a better chance of getting to my Marine son than the APO ones had getting to my other son. It seemed like it all depended on who handled the mail during the the shipping, handling and receiving for distribution to the final destination. I can't say that everything that I sent overseas was received by the designated recipient because I never asked for delivery confirmation. (wouldn't know if I would get one anyway. LOL)

2) A few of the students are interesting in the Marine Corps and would like to ask some active duty personnel questions.
    I think that every Battalion has a Public Affairs Officer. Perhaps a note to the officer in question will reap a good FPO address and perhaps some sort assurance, if that's possible.

I guess we must have gotten lucky, I never ran into any problems with my sons care packages. He received every box I sent during both deployments. I always numbered each box and kept a log of what was in each box. Then when he would call or email he would tell me, "Mom, I got boxes 33, 34 & 35, thanks, keep em coming!" I have sent over 150 care packages just to my son, that's not counting the ones I have sent to his buddies and they all arrived and intact. Thank goodness.

Please dont send anymore babywipes,hotel shampoo or playing cards all they really want are cigarets and dip not to be rude but it is the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndCEBSupply View Post
    Please dont send anymore babywipes,hotel shampoo or playing cards all they really want are cigarets and dip not to be rude but it is the truth.
    That is SOOOOO the truth. My son told me they got so much hygiene stuff it got thrown in the fire pit because they do not have the room to store it all. I'm in charge of our care package drive for our local Marine Corps League, so I asked my son what sort of stuff do you guys REALLY want in your packages. His answer was more like what they do NOT want in them. NO toothpaste, shampoo, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, lotions, deodorants, sun block, shaving cream, razors, tooth brushes, mouthwash, etc. He said they get tons of it. So unless your care package recepient actually asks for it I would not include them in your packages. Just send fun stuff for them. And believe it or not they love toys. Hi-Li paddle balls, frisbees, footballs, baseballs, tennis balls, hand held electronic games, Hacky Sacks but NO CARDS PLEASE (everyone sends them cards). I once sent 2 packages of super balls to my son to pass out to the Iraqi children. They never made it off the outpost. Those Marines kept them and created games with them.

yeah no more cards or hygeine stuff we dont like to use hygeine materials from care packages ...its just weird in a way, we can and do go to the PX to buy that stuff. Toys colorful toys we would love that we see the same colors everyday its hard to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewebe View Post
    Lcpl R.D. Trimarchi
    H&S Co. S-3
    1stBn 2nd Mar.
    Unit 73040
    FPO AE 09509-3040

His wife passed on before he deployed and being that he's an E-3 I'm betting he's young and in a bit of turmoil with being deployed as well
    I just wrote the Lcpl, I had recieved his info from another thread with a chaplain requesting we write.Its a sad story.

Thread Information