Quick question - not sure what to do
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick question - not sure what to do

A little background: I'm a shift worker, I work three nights in a row from 7:30 pm - 7:30 am, then I get three nights off. So I'm nocturnal. I'm big into fitness and health(290 PFT) so I maintain the same sleep schedule on my off days to avoid disrupting circadian rhythms.
    Recently, they started a PT schedule which is based around the hours of day shift. Kind of annoying, because 3 days a week the PT is at 7am, so one of the two members of night shift is permitted to leave early to change over and go the PT at 7. The other marine has to stay until 830 or so when the day crew changes over and comes in.
    It's a bit annoying, but not a big deal. HOWEVER, on Mondays, they have PT at 1500...and they require the night crew that's working that night to attend! This is utter BS to me. I go to sleep around 1030, have to wake up at 1430, PT from 1500-1600, then I have three and a half hours until work. I'm not able to go back to sleep, either, and I can't imagine anyone able to immediately after PT.
    It's a bit frustrating to get four hours of sleep and then be up for 20 hours or so, nevermind the damage it does to my fitness program. Of course, none of the SNCOs or officers work at night otherwise there would be an uproar. Any ideas? This seems decidely unfair to me. It would be the equivalent of having the regular day workers have a 3 am PT. All the marines at night routinely go to the gym on their own (during sensible hours for someone nocturnal) and have first class PFTs.

Credits
    Savings
    To put it simply, suck it up. You joined, there is nothing you can do about it. I know it sucks.
    I go to work at 2200 on Sun and get home at 1300 Monday. During that time I deliver 29 convenience stores and drive 280 miles. I don't get to sleep until I come home, then only for an hour or so until the kids are done with school.
    On wed I go to work at 1900 and return at 0300 thur. , go back at 1700 and return at 2000 on Fri. Thur I get maybe 4 hours sleep then teach the kids some school and feed them lunch and dinner before going back. Thur - Fri I get 4 hours sleep to the first stop then little 10 min naps after each stop until my partners time runs out, then I drive the rest of the route and home. 21 stop , 790 miles.
    After each stop I can sit in the passenger seat and go right to sleep. We hand unload the truck and make many trips up and down the ramp. It's like PT'n all night.
    Many of us as civies have screwed up work schedules and live with it. Even manage to stay in shape.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by natevines View Post
    A little background: I'm a shift worker, I work three nights in a row from 7:30 pm - 7:30 am, then I get three nights off. So I'm nocturnal. I'm big into fitness and health(290 PFT) so I maintain the same sleep schedule on my off days to avoid disrupting circadian rhythms.
    Recently, they started a PT schedule which is based around the hours of day shift. Kind of annoying, because 3 days a week the PT is at 7am, so one of the two members of night shift is permitted to leave early to change over and go the PT at 7. The other marine has to stay until 830 or so when the day crew changes over and comes in.
    It's a bit annoying, but not a big deal. HOWEVER, on Mondays, they have PT at 1500...and they require the night crew that's working that night to attend! This is utter BS to me. I go to sleep around 1030, have to wake up at 1430, PT from 1500-1600, then I have three and a half hours until work. I'm not able to go back to sleep, either, and I can't imagine anyone able to immediately after PT.
    It's a bit frustrating to get four hours of sleep and then be up for 20 hours or so, nevermind the damage it does to my fitness program. Of course, none of the SNCOs or officers work at night otherwise there would be an uproar. Any ideas? This seems decidely unfair to me. It would be the equivalent of having the regular day workers have a 3 am PT. All the marines at night routinely go to the gym on their own (during sensible hours for someone nocturnal) and have first class PFTs.
    So what is it stud, are you a bottom feeder?

BTW, greaaaaat profile. NOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165 View Post
    So what is it stud, are you a bottom feeder?

BTW, greaaaaat profile. NOT!!
    Yeah, okay. On the contrary, I'd think a bottom feeder would be one who depends on this crappy, slow-ass PT for 'fitness'. I'd probably run your ass into the ground, 'stud'.
    Thanks to the first poster for an honest answer

Request Mast.

Quit being a little ***** and suck it up.

Everyone in my company in Iraq gets about 4 hours asleep every night. You think we complained? No, we sucked it up and still worked out or whatever else we wanted to do.

Now, fix your profile and read the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by natevines View Post
    Yeah, okay. On the contrary, I'd think a bottom feeder would be one who depends on this crappy, slow-ass PT for 'fitness'. I'd probably run your ass into the ground, 'stud'.
    Thanks to the first poster for an honest answer

What do you think that you are special -- you want us to congratulate or pamper to your azz because you say you have a good PFT score?

BFD.

I can still get a 290 running backwards, stud.

This isn't BK, you don't get things your way. You play by our rules or you go to another branch that might cater to you.

I'm damn sure the Marines that are in harms way are not getting the sleep they want.

Good luck, lose the attitude.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    This really breaks my little heart...lack of sleep........Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I would also renege on the comment of no SNCO's or officers work at night....maybe not in your shop....but rest assured they are there and they can't go to sleep in some cases at all the next day in garrison.

These young fighters of today and the warriors of yesteryear are/were sleep deprived and have to/had to carry out the mission with little or no sleep for hours and sometimes days.

With bullets whizzing by and rounds impacting so close ....that no one sleeps even for a couple hours.....like your getting.

Grow some intestinal fortitude ...when you signed the contract you weren't guaranteed three hots and a cot....

Twice a month pay and medical care is all you are really guaranteed....see your corpsman they may have an extra set of groin muscles lying around from sleep deprived dead hero!

FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!

Credits
    Savings
    You're up natevines.

Marine is spelled with a capital M.

I would associate a bottom feeder to a marine something.

Stud! PT Stud! Sure you could run my ass into the ground. I only do 5 miles on Monday's, 3 on Wednesday and 5 on Friday. We have snow 6 months out of the year and I still run. BTW, I'm 61 years old.

Now, reading the posts after your last, it appears that the Marines on here let it be known, and made it clear, to suck it up.

As I wrote earlier - 'BTW, greaaaaat profile. NOT!!' Are you one of those that wants his own rules?

Not trying to cut you down or be insulting, but, Iraq invaded Quwait August 2 and we found out on August 5 we were deploying . The way we got the news was the CO making the statement, "It's time to earn your keep, boys". That put things in perspective for me. I respect your service but from the scuttlebut I've gotten, there are plenty of Marines out there who would love to have that complaint to focus on.

In Saudi', we fairly regularly took our turn in the hole startin' at double zeroes and got off at 0630 went back at 1730 to double zeroes and had a 4 hour roving patrol in between with a sizeable portion of that in at least MOPP 2. You do the math. 100% alert takes more man hours. Guaranteed 1 hr of sleep and 1 meal if your lucky. I'm only tellin' this to remind you that you hail from an extremely long lineage in an elite organization that has aspired to do extraordinary things far greater than anything I can ever hope to attain.

If you are truly having difficulty with this schedule I agree you should send this concern up the pole, otherwise...

Set the example, rise to the occasion and be an inspiration to those who are struggling to keep the pace. Focus on those who need the help and you will likely be recognized for the extra effort.

Stand up, Buckle up and shuffle to the door Marine !?!

Umm, yeah, natevines, I just took a peek at your profile. FIX IT!! I think you have been told on here already.

As for popping off, you might want to check that as well. You're still a Private, according to the little info you put in your profile. I may not be active anymore, but I would certainly go Boot Camp on you if you tried that with me.

Nice PFT score, you work hard for it I'm sure, but suck it up Marine. We've all had to endure $h!t shifts during our time in, it's just your turn in the barrel.

You may be in shape, natevines, but it sounds like OB MSG can probably say "up, down, up, down, spread 'em, together, spread 'em, together, on yer back, on yer belly" enough times to cause a little sweating of that p!$$ and vinegar.

natevines-
    Grow up.
    BTW...I think Bigalholmes165 could take you, anyday. Shut up, suck it up ang go PT.

Quote Originally Posted by imajarhed View Post
    Not trying to cut you down or be insulting, but, Iraq invaded Quwait August 2 and we found out on August 5 we were deploying . The way we got the news was the CO making the statement, "It's time to earn your keep, boys". That put things in perspective for me. I respect your service but from the scuttlebut I've gotten, there are plenty of Marines out there who would love to have that complaint to focus on.

In Saudi', we fairly regularly took our turn in the hole startin' at double zeroes and got off at 0630 went back at 1730 to double zeroes and had a 4 hour roving patrol in between with a sizeable portion of that in at least MOPP 2. You do the math. 100% alert takes more man hours. Guaranteed 1 hr of sleep and 1 meal if your lucky. I'm only tellin' this to remind you that you hail from an extremely long lineage in an elite organization that has aspired to do extraordinary things far greater than anything I can ever hope to attain.

If you are truly having difficulty with this schedule I agree you should send this concern up the pole, otherwise...

Set the example, rise to the occasion and be an inspiration to those who are struggling to keep the pace. Focus on those who need the help and you will likely be recognized for the extra effort.

Stand up, Buckle up and shuffle to the door Marine !?!
    AMEN TO THAT!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    awwwwwww poor baby ain't gettin' enough sleep on Mondays! Just tell your command that it's interrupting your sleep, personal gym time and you're mad as hell about it and ain't gonna take it no more.

Ain't this something ya'll? We got another E1 still in service!

Thread Information