Disablity Ratings
Create Post

Disablity Ratings

I have been fighting with the V.A. in regards to my disability rating for some time now, how ever I have been trying to get back into shape and get well enough to get back in the Corps. Could this potentily hurt my claim when I get back out of the Corps?.....

If I do go back into the Corps they (recruiters) told me I would have to go back as a Lcpl and not as a Cpl because I have been out to long 4yrs. Is this true?

Having broke my back when I was in the Corps (still able to walk)and even with physical therapy should I even with the pain suck it up, or play it safe and enjoy the time I had?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

If you were discharged under medical reasons you can just about forget about getting back in. A broken back is a pretty serious injury that you may further aggravate or become diabled because of daily life in the Corps.
    If you are offered the oppurtunity to re-up then your rank would be based on the need of the Corps. If there is a lack of CPLS in your MOS there is no reason that you should not demand this rank.

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Cpl Dawson,

CAS will be along to give you the straight scoop.

However, logic tells me that if you prove that you are physically fit and have no enlistment disqualifying factor you will have a hard time claiming a disability.

I would assume that you waive all rights to claim a previous disability.

My logic and assumptions will end up in the trash can when CAS comes with the Word from the Bird.

I was not medically discharged, however due to where the break was doing crunches has been nearly impossiable I due experience alot of pain from it after I do my crunches but I manage it. I am almost up to the requirments for the minimum, my run is almost there to and my pull ups are already there.

But if it would jepordize a future claim it would not be worth attempting going back in, I went through MEPS already and they cleared me and Navy Docs when I got I said I could re-up but at the time I told them to stuff it because I was in too much pain on a daily basis doing nothing.

But I miss the life of a Marine, and I think they are getting tired of me hangin out at the recruiters office, just to breath the air.

I thought there was a recent order that said that you are able to retain rank even going back in......

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Losing rank when you come back in is almost a certainty. You can plan on being a LCpl. You may get a date of rank that represents the day you come back on active duty. That means you could be looking at nine months just to be eligible for regular promotion to corporal. As for the disability, ask CAS. You would obviosy require a VA ugrade of your medcal status to reenlist. If that happens, you just might not be able to claim those same injuries/ailments when you separate service again. Remember too, medical conditions must also be waived by the Bureau of Medicine in he Navy if you are to be granted a medical waiver to come back in. It may be a lengthy and rather difficult road to get back in. Think i through thoroughly and get some answers to helpyou weigh out the otions.

SF,

SIXGUNS

Credits
    Savings
    Here is the straight scoop..
    You can claim VA disability based on an injury incurred in or aggravated by active duty service. You need to show that there is a disability, diagnosis and prognosis from a doctor. You also have to show continuity of treatment. Your disability benefits will be held if you reenlist. The goverment will not pay you twice! Your disability would be questioned if you are found to be fit for duty.
    I recently tried to go back in but because of a new order I couldn't. The order states that if a servicemember recieved seperation pay they are not allowed to reenlist.
    Any other questions, I am here.
    S/F
    Colleen

Thanks CAS,

I did not recieve sep. pay. So it sounds like it would be a matter of being held and then of course trying to get that as a future disability would likley be more difficult.

I think becuase of the nature of the break and the pain that I do have I would be better off not going back in just to keep the wear and tear from making it worse.

I think it's coffee and doughnuts for the recruiters and Toy's for Tot's volunteer and the occaisonal Air show.......thus the life...

Thread Information