Looking for anyone w/Echo Btry 2/11 69-70
Create Post

Looking for anyone w/Echo Btry 2/11 69-70

Tryng to locate anyone I served with in An Hoa, Echo Battery 2/11 Marines 1969-70. It has been so long, all I can remember (that's what PTSD does to you) are first names like Ken, Woody, etc. If you did serve, contact me at supercfl@earthlink.net
    Cpl James W "Bill" Beason

An Hoa 67

Hi Bill

Was with E 2/11 for the better part of 67 MOS 2511

Semper Fi

Ed

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	387104-R1-E025.jpg‎
Views:	262
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	5827  

Quote Originally Posted by eag View Post
    Hi Bill

Was with E 2/11 for the better part of 67 MOS 2511

Semper Fi

Ed

Thanks for the picture, Ed! Which gun is this?

Bill,

Anthere picture plus one of the air strip and it was Gun 5.
    Sorry its upside down.

Semper Fi

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	387104-R1-E024.jpg‎
Views:	225
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	5831   Click image for larger version

Name:	474469-R1-E008_008.jpg‎
Views:	203
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	5832  

Thanks Ed,

I also was on gun #5. I can see a BIG difference from '67 to '69. That helo pat was just across the mine field from Echo company.

Semper Fi, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by AnHoaVet View Post
    Tryng to locate anyone I served with in An Hoa, Echo Battery 2/11 Marines 1969-70. It has been so long, all I can remember (that's what PTSD does to you) are first names like Ken, Woody, etc. If you did serve, contact me at supercfl@earthlink.net
    Cpl James W "Bill" Beason:usmc:
    My email address has changed to; Bill.Beason@yahoo.com

Bill Beason's email address is now; Bill.Beason@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by eag View Post
    Bill,

Anthere picture plus one of the air strip and it was Gun 5.
    Sorry its upside down.

Semper Fi

Good pics...although I was only close to An Hoa.

My understanding now is that An Hoa is under water due to a dam that was built. (open to be corrected on this?)
    Also, I was at Nong Son Mtn, just west of An Hoa on the Song Thu Bon, and they now offer Jet Ski adventures for the touristos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sCx46CSqfo

For me, and likely for many others, it's very difficult to fathom a relaxed, vacation atmosphere at An Hoa/Nong Son area.
    After all, it's on been 44 years since my last picnic there.

OP....good luck on your search for your Brothers.

A good day to all....

Quote Originally Posted by chulaivet1966 View Post
    Good pics...although I was only close to An Hoa.

My understanding now is that An Hoa is under water due to a dam that was built. (open to be corrected on this?)
    Also, I was at Nong Son Mtn, just west of An Hoa on the Song Thu Bon, and they now offer Jet Ski adventures for the touristos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sCx46CSqfo

For me, and likely for many others, it's very difficult to fathom a relaxed, vacation atmosphere at An Hoa/Nong Son area.
    After all, it's on been 44 years since my last picnic there.

OP....good luck on your search for your Brothers.

A good day to all....
    Actually, the An Hoa Combat Base is not under water! It was destroyed or bulldozed down by the Marine Corps before leaving it to the ARVN in late 1970. About three months after the ARVN took over sure enough, An Hoa was over run as the gutless ARVN ran way. The lake you mentioned is just to the south of the old French Factory across Liberty Road. BTW, I new road from Hoi An, along with a new railroad have been build. I have been told that Nike or some other company has built a huge factory nearby and the local pleasant population are now factory workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Beason View Post
    Actually, the An Hoa Combat Base is not under water! It was destroyed or bulldozed down by the Marine Corps before leaving it to the ARVN in late 1970.
    Thanks for the update and the correction.
    I wish I could remember where I read it was under water.
    Maybe I'm just growing more daft each day.

Later....

Hoi An

Quote Originally Posted by chulaivet1966 View Post
    Thanks for the update and the correction.
    I wish I could remember where I read it was under water.
    Maybe I'm just growing more daft each day.

Later....
    Actually, that YouTube Video was of Hoi An....a seaside village about 20 mikes due east of AN Hoa! Chu Lai was south of there!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Beason View Post
    Actually, that YouTube Video was of Hoi An....a seaside village about 20 mikes due east of AN Hoa! Chu Lai was south of there!
    Thanks again....I now see the Hoi An referenced which, obviously, escaped me.
    I know where Hoi An is...between Chu Lai and Tam Ky on Highway 1....unless my memory fails me there also.
    I hear now Highway #1 has been paved with asphalt for some time.
    I would like to see all that turf now.

Hmmm....I might be thinking of An Tan and not Hoi An.....my error.
    Better go back to my maps again.....

Hoi An is north of Tam Ky....in fact, it is north of Chu Lai. Hoi An is probably 25-30 south of Da Nang. Yeah, I heard Highway One is a nice road now. Also, Highway 14 that runs off of Highway One is a pretty good road from what I have heard. It actually goes through Charlie Ridge (Ho Chi Minh Trail). There is another new road that feeds off Hwy 14 that goes toward An Hoa. The old Liberty Bridge and road were abandoned as the new road now runs along side the Song Thu Bon river. There is also a new railroad going through An Hoa.
    I'm glad to see the area move into the 21st century. When I was there, I felt like I had gone back into time and hated it due to the war. As for visitation, I would go in a heartbeat.
    I got the "History of the USMC at An Hoa" video and it has helped bring some closure. BTW, there will be a final addition soon. Part 3 will cover 1970-71 with the battles, CAP units, Corpsmen, artillery, humor, pictures & video.

Time to stand down,

Semper FI...

Bill

I was with echo 2/11 69-70 gun 1

Thread Information