How much do you receive after Boot? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cocruxified View Post
    So let me get this straight, cause now I'm confused. You DON'T have to pay for your ticket home from Boot? Only your ticket to your MOS school location? Does the Corps pay your way home? Cause I've been reading otherwise, that you have to pay for both your way home from Boot and your way to MOS school. Thanks again and sorry for my confusion.
    Okay look. At boot camp, you will, out of your pocket, pay for your ticket from wherever you will be living to school of infantry west or east, depending on which boot you went to.

The DIs will then ask who needs to find a ticket home, and if you need a ticket home, you will pay for that as well. I didn't need to pay for that as my parents drove to Parris Island, picked me up, and drove me home. Check?

Now, when you check into the fleet, you will do a travel claim and get the money for that ticket to SOI back. Keep any receipts from taxis to airports, seriously. Even your ticket home from parris island, every single flight you ever take, every taxi, every bus, keep the receipt/ticket. When you check into the fleet you will have proof, I could have easily left with close to $1000 but since the only record I had of me traveling was the ticket I purchased at Parris Island (it wasi n their records) I only got about 330$ back.

If thats over your head, ignore it. But you will pay, at boot camp, for your tickets. The day you graduate everything will already be taken care of, as far as your way home, and your way to SOI.

And in case you're wondering, you go immediately from SOI to your MOS school, so there's no need to worry about saving money, the government pays for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewebe View Post
    Goes to show ya what I know lol. I was single and never thought of that at the time. Hmmm 5g's thats a lot of tattoo work when you get to Court St. lol
    You've been out for a while huh? Court St. ain't **** anymore!!! At least according to the old school guys I've talked to. My neighbor was a Beirut Marine and his last visit to Lejeune left him disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgame View Post
    Ill be honest. It came up in conversation, and I was actually suprised at that amount of money. So I really don't know if they where being honest or not. However had I known that i could of gotten that. I might of gotten married before bootcamp.
    No, it's no joke man. I left boot camp with 4,600.00 dollars, and I know people that left with over 5,000.00.

I also left MOS school with 9,800.00 in my acct., after buying all kinda toys (camera/laptop/etc) and sending money back to the wife.

To the Poolee, what you'll learn at boot camp is that you are surrounded by idiots. (you may be the one, actually). But I recall recruits buying 15 plt photos, 6 depot year books, 4 dvds, 3 rings, the most expensive picture packages x 3 and then having a shocked look on their faces when they see their final pay is only 400 dollars. ****ing dumb asses.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Wow,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    No, it's no joke man. I left boot camp with 4,600.00 dollars, and I know people that left with over 5,000.00.

I also left MOS school with 9,800.00 in my acct., after buying all kinda toys (camera/laptop/etc) and sending money back to the wife.
    I think I left boot with a little over $200, but hard to remember. I do recall abt 40 of it went into the senior DIs kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I think I left boot with a little over $200, but hard to remember. I do recall abt 40 of it went into the senior DIs kitty.
    LOL, that was almost 40 years ago though, it's expected.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Yes,,,,,,,

LOL, that was almost 40 years ago though, it's expected.
    But don't be tellin me $200 then was like $5,000 now,,,,,,,,LOL.

Credits
    Savings
    Cocruxified, Attention to detail is going to be something you will hear alot of in the near future. It should start now, in my post I said that the two Marines that posted about their specific travel from boot camp did not pay for that travel. I didn't say you wouldn't have to pay for your travel. The two Marines that had posted both stated their families picked them up at boot camp and transported them home. If you have transport home, such as a family member driving you home, then you wouldn't have to pay for travel. However if that is not an option you will have to travel to either your home or your next duty station and that probably will cost money. The easiest way to arrange for travel home is to do it at the travel office at boot camp. You will be required to purchase or show proof of travel to your next duty station.

Achped if I have gotten anything wrong let me know, also good scoop to the new guys about keeping reciepts and travel vouchers.

Yes sir! If thats the way they did it when you were in that's the way they do it now.

I wish I'd kept my travel vouchers, I would have gotten so much money back.

1990 = $500....but then again a beer was only $1 at the airport......

Gunz out ~

To the Poolee, what you'll learn at boot camp is that you are surrounded by idiots. (you may be the one, actually). But I recall recruits buying 15 plt photos, 6 depot year books, 4 dvds, 3 rings, the most expensive picture packages x 3 and then having a shocked look on their faces when they see their final pay is only 400 dollars. ****ing dumb asses.
    No, I won't be one of those idiots. I really don't want all that stuff. At the most I might get a couple of pics and MAYBE the ring, but that's it. Too much riff-raff.

Thank you Marines for you very informative answers to this subject. Its all greatly appreciated. Hopefully soon I myself can also be called "Marine."

There seems to be a trend here over the years leaving boot camp with approx 1/3 of earnings to date or 1 months pay after airline tickets.

I think i left MCRD Diego in 79' with less than $400 in travelers cheques. It was the only time since early during phase one that our DI's heard discontent and moderate outrage throughout the ranks. Haircuts were 0.75 cents, toiletries, stationary, wisk, flashlight batteries, a few bucks a month. PT gear, sneakers and skivvy's maybe $30, airfare home and next duty station around $200. Where's the rest of our money to the tune of about 1 months pay???

Uniforms, boots and shoes are not free privates!

Did we pay for that hog feed at the recruit chow hall also?? hehehehe

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Travelers checks, hugh? we were given cash.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Travelers checks, hugh? we were given cash.
    Tis true, Spark, tis true.

You know what, usually when you're on military orders your flight should be paid for by the govt.

I live close enough to MCRDPI and Camp Geiger that I could just drive. But being TDY or whatever, it should be paid for but you may wanna double check.

Quote Originally Posted by cocruxified View Post
    No, I won't be one of those idiots. I really don't want all that stuff. At the most I might get a couple of pics and MAYBE the ring, but that's it. Too much riff-raff.

Thank you Marines for you very informative answers to this subject. Its all greatly appreciated. Hopefully soon I myself can also be called "Marine."

The only thing you really need is the Yearbook, a plt photo, and one big picture for a frame and maybe some wallet pics.

My mom made me buy a crapload of pics. 6 years later it's sitting in the garage They cost alot, dont spend your money on that crap, especially if you're trying to save money

Anyone else buy the red satin jacket with the Marine Corps stripe down the left side? heh heh.

Thread Information