What to give to my Marine upon graduation? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Had a sharpener do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Osotogary View Post
    "...I sharpened both sides of the blade."

LcplT-
    How were you able to get the other side of the blade sharpened? By machine or by hand honing using a stone? Just curious. Great idea. Great knives. There are a whole lot of "knock-off" Ka-Bars that some say are just as good as the original but having an original is special, especially if it was a gift or to be given as a gift.

I was at a truck stop outside of Boise Idaho the flying J or TA I cant remember.... They had a lady there that sharpened knives.. I handed it to her and she used a machine... I asked her to sharpen just the first 1 to 1.5 inches right at the tip. you can tell it is meant to be sharp, but it comes from factory dull and powder coated black.. once it is sharp though it really looks wicked. It is just a lot of states have laws reguarding double edged knives...I also had her sharpen my nice Benchmade special ops switchblade.... She got a kick out of it cuzz it is not legal anywhere except Arizona ..I think.

Last edited by LcplT; 09-19-08 at 01:23 AM. Reason: missspelled anywhere...lol'

How about a Harley?........You know, help him get around the base!

My dad was a pilot in the Navy for 24 years and he said the one thing he loved the most about the Marines besides being the tip of the spear were those bad ass swords we carry in dress uniform. My dad bought me an NCO sword and told me when I earn this, I can have it. Hell of a lot of motiviation to pick up Corporal!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think the K-bar is a great idea,,, I'll be doing that for my son. But not for a few years, when he has some rank, and maturity. He'll know more what it means then. For now, it will stay mine.
    This brings up a problem,,,,,,,What do I get him??????Certainly not a cell phone,,, no lasting memory there.

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Maybe,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I think the K-bar is a great idea,,, I'll be doing that for my son. But not for a few years, when he has some rank, and maturity. He'll know more what it means then. For now, it will stay mine.
    This brings up a problem,,,,,,,What do I get him??????Certainly not a cell phone,,, no lasting memory there.

Maybe a laptop he can take to his MOS? That is what we got our son and he loves it. We got a used one so it was not that expensive... Just a thought.

Would a K-Bar be a nice welcome home gift for when our son comes back from Afghanistan?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsMom View Post
    Maybe a laptop he can take to his MOS? That is what we got our son and he loves it. We got a used one so it was not that expensive... Just a thought.

Would a K-Bar be a nice welcome home gift for when our son comes back from Afghanistan?

Cell phones and laptop are goodies. They break.

K-Bar's are forever (engraved).

A trip to the 'House of the Rising Sun' would be memorable, but ....

Also, wouldn't it be nice to take and return a K-Bar on his deployment?

Just an idea and I did not read all the posts, my grandparents took me to cash sales on Pendleton and bought my blues so I could go to my prom. I still have them.

You get him whatever you feel is right, the Ka-Bar is a great idea, when I graduated my mom and my brother and his girlfriend and my aunt and uncle and my father and a bunch of other family were there, my father went and bought a six pack of Yeungling beer took two out handed me one and took the other one and looked at the rest of the family and said "I am taking my son and we are going to have a talk" my mom started to protest and make us stay so we all could enjoy ourselves and my dad looked at her and said "You dont understand, its one thing to have a beer with the family, it is entirely different for two military men to have a beer together and talk." My dad served 3 tours in Vietnam and there is no one I would rather have a beer with, that meant alot to me (also I was excited cause it was my first beer in 3 months and I still wasnt of legal age yet....I turn 21 this Oct. 5th)

Quote Originally Posted by mgkusmc View Post
    You get him whatever you feel is right, the Ka-Bar is a great idea, when I graduated my mom and my brother and his girlfriend and my aunt and uncle and my father and a bunch of other family were there, my father went and bought a six pack of Yeungling beer took two out handed me one and took the other one and looked at the rest of the family and said "I am taking my son and we are going to have a talk" my mom started to protest and make us stay so we all could enjoy ourselves and my dad looked at her and said "You dont understand, its one thing to have a beer with the family, it is entirely different for two military men to have a beer together and talk." My dad served 3 tours in Vietnam and there is no one I would rather have a beer with, that meant alot to me (also I was excited cause it was my first beer in 3 months and I still wasnt of legal age yet....I turn 21 this Oct. 5th)

My dad and my grandfather did the same thing for me as soon as I got home, only with whiskey. It was a good night! It really did mean alot to me too.

i have to say you guys are the best advisors any one can hope to have...Geat ideas and this means so much to me to hear, well just the heart felt devotion you guys have toward your sons who are comming into the same thing mine is....we know we were there once. The memories WILL last a lifetime. YOU wanna hear someting cool also???? My kid will have his blues by the tim he gets out of MOS training. He is getting married to his sweetheart, so I am gonna give those to him...i'll buy him a set. But for now he needs to concentrate on getting done with basic and I told him he needs to get done with MOS training b4 he starts planning a wedding....Keeps his mind on the task at hand.

HARLEY Dang you wanna adopt ME?...lol

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak View Post

Yada yada yea that would be nice.....LOL I just barely got my 64 almost on the road.... Now the Harley will have to come from his own pocket.... There are some things DAD just will not be able to afford...LOL.

HARLEY Dang you wanna adopt ME?...lol

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak View Post
    I'll go back to boot just to get that.....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LcplT View Post
    i have to say you guys are the best advisors any one can hope to have...Geat ideas and this means so much to me to hear, well just the heart felt devotion you guys have toward your sons who are comming into the same thing mine is....we know we were there once. The memories WILL last a lifetime. YOU wanna hear someting cool also???? My kid will have his blues by the tim he gets out of MOS training. He is getting married to his sweetheart, so I am gonna give those to him...i'll buy him a set. But for now he needs to concentrate on getting done with basic and I told him he needs to get done with MOS training b4 he starts planning a wedding....Keeps his mind on the task at hand.

They started issuing blues in boot camp again. There were lots of rumors going around as to why, so I couldn't tell you exactly why. Either way you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by LcplT View Post
    I'll go back to boot just to get that.....LOL
    Did I say a Harley? Oh I'm sorry I meant a brand new pair of go-fasters to PT at his new duty station.... That's what I meant by getting around base!......I don't know about the adoption thing Aaron, You might be a little too old

My Chris just graduated 9/12/08 at MCRDSD. When he finishes SOI, I plan to give him my 1956 vintage K-Bar. It stayed with me for my AD time, traveled all over the US on hunting trips and has waited patiently for the right time to be passed on. Near the handle, it is stamped USMC and has leather rings for a handle. Don't know if the newer ones are like that or not. It could use a new sheath, but I'll pass on the original one. He can do with it whatever "turns his crank".

Thread Information