What to give to my Marine upon graduation?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What to give to my Marine upon graduation?

I figure a new cell phone. I found some good deals on some cool phones.. All real and good. But as a former Marine...the debate in my head is this: Should I buy my kid a brend new K-bar or hand the one down to him that I carried a lifetime ago? The tales this knife could tale if it could talk. The places we went together, no blood and guts stuff except the deer we skined together, and I did not shoot it, a friend did. We just needed a good sharp knife to do the job.....I had one. I always had one.... Anyway, enough head trippin. Tell me what you guys think is the best thing to do... Buy new or hand down the blade to my new Marine. I have untill Nov 21 to make up my mind, I would just like a few suggestions.

Marine Family Free Member ScottsMom's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I don't know what a K-bar is but a cell phone is a great idea. I like the fact that I can text my son, and not feel like I may get him into trouble if he is busy and it's an easy way to communicate with your Marine while they are away. Good luck to you!

Credits
    Savings
    I would go with the Ka-Bar. He can afford a cell phone, the plans aren't expensive. A real Ka-Bar can be a little pricey. While your at it get the Ka-Bar mule also. Excellent knife with a good grip.
    Try these site, http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/kbar/
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html...301%2Ck&page=1

Credits
    Savings
    A cell phone is definately a good idea but I doubt he will be able to use it much in the next few months. Once he gets to his permanent duty station would be a better time to get him one. As for the K-Bar, being that we are Marines and pass down our traditions to the next generation of Warriors I think it would be an honor to recieve such a gift from any Marine. The fact that you are his father should make that gift even that more special, and think about the tours of duty that knife will now experience as it stays close to your son and protects him at the worst possible times, becomes a tool to open MRE packages and other things, and links one generation of Marines to the next.
    Semper Fi!

K-bar all the way! I have two sitting on my wall from my units and I have plans for them to go to my son(s) when they are ready for them.

As TJR said, it will link the old generation to the new and that is always an honor.

Definately the K-bar...handed down from you...I think that would mean more to your son than you may think.

Ka-Bar in a nice case. I did this and put his EGA he received after Crucible beside it. I also gave him a nice gold Marine Corps. watch and had it engraved with his graduation date. Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardey View Post
    Ka-Bar in a nice case. I did this and put his EGA he received after Crucible beside it. I also gave him a nice gold Marine Corps. watch and had it engraved with his graduation date. Dave
    I Like that, good idea

Ka-Bar vote here as well. I bought my son's each one and bought a really nice case from Sgt Grit to put it in. I had it engraved in the blood groove for them. They loved it. Getting the one from you would be very special and sentimental as others had mentioned.

Ka-Bar It will mean a whole lot more to him than some cell phone.

Marine Family Free Member DevsDad's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    ScottsMom... I bet your son has one.

The K-bar would be so cool. I agree with the case idea also.. maybe add some engraving with your info and his?

Ok thank you for your useful suggestions and advice...I actually went online and bought him 2 Ka-Bars.. one for a case which I'll set up like Mr. Wardley suggested and one he will be able to carry for his day to day use. I am still thinking of handing mine down to him.. But I sharpened both sides of the blade.. I'll still hand this down to him but I don't know the legal BS of him carrying a knife with both sides sharpened... In the day I was not worried about it, but in todays PC bulls@@@ world I don't want him getting in trouble. I just was looking at it last nite when the fact that is was a double edged blade hit me that he could get in trouble.

By the way forgive me for not knowing..terms change over the years.....What is "EGA" that he will receive after Crucible??.. I'll add that to the engraving for the one in the case but I don't know what it means....LOL. Been gone way too long.. I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LcplT View Post
    By the way forgive me for not knowing..terms change over the years.....What is "EGA" that he will receive after Crucible??.. I'll add that to the engraving for the one in the case but I don't know what it means....LOL. Been gone way too long.. I guess.

It is the lazy way of saying Eagle Globe and Anchor.

And as it is if your son is going to live in the BEQ he could get in trouble for having any knife period. They tell you when you sign for your room any weapons have to be turned into the armory. They took two or three of my knifes from me until I just went and got a Leatherman. Ofcourse I was living in headquaters bn barracks so they were stupid with alot of the rules.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    "...I sharpened both sides of the blade."

LcplT-
    How were you able to get the other side of the blade sharpened? By machine or by hand honing using a stone? Just curious. Great idea. Great knives. There are a whole lot of "knock-off" Ka-Bars that some say are just as good as the original but having an original is special, especially if it was a gift or to be given as a gift.

Thread Information