I think I might have Tourettes
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think I might have Tourettes

Because I notice myself twitching a lot. Not just some tiny twitch, more like, my head shakes and my arms. Should I get that checked out before I leave for boot?

I woudl hate to see the replys you are goign to get for this post but if you feel like its a problem then it is and yes..

Yes. It could be something very serious, other than tourretes.

Credits
    Savings
    You absolutely need to get that checked out. Don't leave for Boot Camp with out being checked out. It could be something other than tourettes, but thats not normal to have twitches like that.

I mean, it doesn't stop me from doing every day duties, it just bugs me.

It could be one of many different medical problems. The Marine Corps needs to take a backseat to making sure you're healthy. Go get that checked.

Oh, and feel free to increase the font size on your posts- that stuff is hard to read.

There is a Marine in my unit (he works in S3 and is the one who helped me get my range score fixed actually) who twitches. We were driving along and he just like jerked his whole body and I was like uhhh....wtf over!

Depending on what causes the twitching it may not be a problem, but if its tourettes or anything serious like that it definitely can be a serious issue.

Get it looked at.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I thought tourettes was when you yell stuff all of a sudden?

Marine Spouse Free Member mdb0227's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I dont think it is tourettes. The reason it probably isnt tourettes is that it begins in childhood. So unless you have been experiencing these ticks for a number of years, you might rule that out. are you currently taking any medications that you may be having a side affect to? or are you experiencing any other syptoms that you've noticed. nausea, fever, slurred speech, anything like that?

I would definately go seek a medical opinion before you leave for boot. It very well could be something small that can be immediately treated. Better that than have something bad happen at boot. so take care of yourself :]

I have a simple request. Can we please not pass on information about another person's health unless we know for sure that the information being shared is correct? I hate to single anyone or comment out, but this is pretty important.

The onset of Tourettes Syndrome is often between the ages of five and seven, but it could present itself as late as 18 (Leckman JF, Bloch MH, King RA, Scahill L. "Phenomenology of tics and natural history of tic disorders". Adv Neurol. 2006;99:1–16). Thus, just because the person in question isn't a young child, it is still a possibility.

That said, I doubt it is tourettes. In order to be diagnosed with tourettes a person must display multiple motor and one or more vocal tics. If this condition is just starting it would appear to be Transient or Chronic Tic Disorder. A physician can explain the differences and help determine what, if any, treatment is needed.

Okay, so I don't think it's Tourettes, It's been happening for like a year and a half. I'm not taking any medication. Maybe it's hypersensitivity?

Oh well, thanks everyone for yalls help.
    And no, Tourettes is not only just yelling obcenities, it can also be different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo View Post
    I have a simple request. Can we please not pass on information about another person's health unless we know for sure that the information being shared is correct? I hate to single anyone or comment out, but this is pretty important. .
    Were you talking to me? I'm just trying to see what you're getting at whether it was to what I said or somebody else.

If its the guy I work with everyone knows he twitches and I never said it was a certain medical condition that caused it. I'd never put sensitive stuff like that on the internet.

No, I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to mdb.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I worked with a young lady that had tourettes and it was like watching a metranome. It was almost a continuous twitch. She also would also cuss for no reason and make strange noises like a wounded parrot.

If it is something you are concerned about then see a doctor.

Marine Spouse Free Member mdb0227's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    sorry, i was just trying to help. i went to my university library online and looked it up. thats how i came up with those things.

Thread Information