Parris Island Marines - Page 26
Create Post
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast
    I was 17 on May16 and at PI on May 19. Plt 263 SDI Sgt Flynn, Asst DI Sgt Hertz. Sgt Hertz was sniper in Korea, I was at PI from 19 May to 6 August 1954.

PS, No yellow footprints.

PI Plt. 179, B Co. 1st RTBn - Oct 1962 - Dec 1962, I remember Sgt Barnes the best, one Bad A@# DI, we were told the baddest on the island.

Sept 21,1962 Platoon 348,Parris Island, SC.

Sorry Hawk, The Third Herd was the best !!!!

Third Herd, oh, you were the ones out by the rifle range that got to live in brick barracks, were issued sunglasses, and were the east coast branch of the "Hollywood" Marines... Our DI's told us all about you plus my older brother was in Third Herd, I think he graduated 11/61. We got to experience the "good life" while at the rifle range and then back to the real boot camp world. 1st is called first for a reason, it is the best. If our DI's told us that then you know it is gospel... Have a great day and Semper Fi brother.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCHawk6741 View Post
    Third Herd, oh, you were the ones out by the rifle range that got to live in brick barracks, were issued sunglasses, and were the east coast branch of the "Hollywood" Marines... Our DI's told us all about you plus my older brother was in Third Herd, I think he graduated 11/61. We got to experience the "good life" while at the rifle range and then back to the real boot camp world. 1st is called first for a reason, it is the best. If our DI's told us that then you know it is gospel... Have a great day and Semper Fi brother.
    Yeah we were in brick barracks,but the grinder was still outside our front door. Semper Fi. Were you guys still in quanset huts, or did they feel bad about you'all and give you wooden ones like the 2nd batt?

The third was best. The grinder was right outside the barracks. Hawk I must have been at PI around the same time as your brother. Graduate on 10/24/61 platoon 350. Semper Fi Brother

Quote Originally Posted by William Raybold View Post
    The third was best. The grinder was right outside the barracks. Hawk I must have been at PI around the same time as your brother. Graduate on 10/24/61 platoon 350. Semper Fi Brother
    Q Co.Plt 348. Graduated 21 Sep 1962. Semper Fi

Finally checking in (been inactive on the site for a couple years) - Platoon 1068, A Co, 1st Bn, Graduated 4 Aug 84 in good old PISC!

Then I went back in 1987 as a Corporal for NCO school - man, was that a different experience!

I graduated boot at PI Nov. 1954. My grandson is now in Drill Instructor school in San Diego,continuing the tradition.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'd like to join the p.i group also

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    i want to join...i was a boot at parris island 25july75 to 22oct75 plt 286 we were the best shots in the series...

PI started July 7 1961 to sometime in Sept 1961. HDI SSGT RUSHING, also SGTs Fox, Philipps, Long. 3rd Bn plt 339 of the 336 series. They claim that our grad books were destroyed and having hell of a time trying to find one. Three generation Family, I'm 69 an in failing health. Would like to share with son. Ex wife destroyed all my Military stuff, "Tired of hearing about what you did," said the B. Medals, photos Certificate of Discharge gone; did get a copy of my med papers. Would like to know where SSGT Rushing is so I can thank him. Corps was important. Qual for OCS before I broke my back. On stand-by for Cuban Missile crisis even while in body cast. Final duty Prison Chaser. Hated it...prisoners trying to leave and I was fighting to stay.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Having a little trouble understanding your profile. You have you were only in for 1 year, is this a mistake?

Sworn in when 16 April 1961. Left for PI and started & July 1961 after 17th birthday. Grad uated PI Sept-Oct 1961. During ITR, broke back in fall from rope bridge and M1 I carried for someone as Fire Team Leader, and canteen smashed Thorax 11 and 12, and Lumbar 1 and 2. Spent several months in Lejeune Hospital and then spent time Light Duty trying to physically qualify in time allotted. Was inactive reserve for two years and continued trying to physically qualify. After body cast, wore a Jewette back brace for two years. The brace is a cage for the complete torso. The rope had to be monkey crawled and the idiot behind me got on too soon by jumping onto rope. I reached to grab a rope that was no longer there. Why? Desire, graduation and heart means nothing? That qualifying for OCS meant the world to me. Only one week to go and I'd have been done with ITR. So now I'm a DAV. Am I supposed to be ashamed of that? Dad was at Guadalcanal. Was a scout. Took one in the ass. Was housed in a tent next to the TB Patients. Came home with TB. Make him any less of a Jarhead? Until I was hospitalized, I was to start service with the 6th Marines. Fate had other plans--it took my pride and manhood and I'll never forget what I was cheated out of.

Thread Information