Parris Island Marines - Page 19
Create Post
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'll never forget in July 1968 we were all joking, laughing, and being really loud and when the Greyhound stopped at the front gate at PI you could here a pin drop until we stopped at receiving and the DI got on the hound and said "OK you maggots you've got 3 minutes to get off this bus and two of them are gone" after he said that all I saw was *******s and elbows trying to get out the small bus door at the same time. Then the Yellow footprints and the rest is History
    Semper Fi Redman

I'm in

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    MCRD Parris Island.

Graduated 13 September 1977.

A Company 1st Battalion Platoon 1072.

Semper Fi,

Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by ecfree View Post
    NO
    HAHAHAHAHA..
    IF YOU HAVE TO ASK THEN I AGREE no-way Jose!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    MCRD Parris Island.

Graduated 13 September 1977.

A Company 1st Battalion Platoon 1072.

Semper Fi,

Rocky

Egads Rocky - for some reason I thought you were in earlier than that. Your're just a young pup compared to me. I went in in '67. PI Marine all the way.

Credits
    Savings

Damn Long Time

Holy Sh/t!!! I just realized that it was 43 years ago today that I stepped....or should I say...ran off a bus at PI....My first impression was that it was hot and humid...my second was the interesting smell of the place...Then I was personally greeted by the DIs...

Quote Originally Posted by GT6238 View Post
    Holy Sh/t!!! I just realized that it was 43 years ago today that I stepped....or should I say...ran off a bus at PI....My first impression was that it was hot and humid...my second was the interesting smell of the place...Then I was personally greeted by the DIs...
    Believe it or not...It was 43 years ago minus 5 days that I stepped off the bus at PI and on to the yellow footprints. I got there May 15th...actually May 14, but by the time they did their thing and we got inside to begin the paperwork, etc...it was after midnight. And yes, I remember it being hot and humid from day one...not a cool day. I left July 17th if I remember correctly.

I was in 1st BN last barracks to the far right if you were standing by the Iwo monument. The old white WWII barracks...talk about hot.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by William Hardy View Post
    Believe it or not...It was 43 years ago minus 5 days that I stepped off the bus at PI and on to the yellow footprints. I got there May 15th...actually May 14, but by the time they did their thing and we got inside to begin the paperwork, etc...it was after midnight. And yes, I remember it being hot and humid from day one...not a cool day. I left July 17th if I remember correctly.

I was in 1st BN last barracks to the far right if you were standing by the Iwo monument. The old white WWII barracks...talk about hot.
    It was hot the whole time I was there. Was in 2nd BN in a wooden barracks. The floor was worn smooth by frequent scrubbings. Was glad to leave the Island (can't remember the date) and then got to enjoy the equally hot resort of Camp Geiger, North Carolina. One of the worst mess halls in the Corps...but the field mess where I worked for a week or two served pretty good mid-day meals...

Plt 3039 march of 1989 graduated with plt 2048 july 1989 snior DI SSgt Hernanadez replaced by SSgt Kerper, heavies Sgt McCarthy, Newsome and Drake Semper Fi!!

Credits
    Savings

Sgt Skinner

Quote Originally Posted by hvmech View Post
    Count me in too......think I already did....The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Lose......so if one of you find it...please send it home!!!!!
    MCRD Parris Island
    2nd RTB K Co Plt 2008
    Oct- Dec 1965
    SSgt JD Fry
    Sgt CG Skinner
    Sgt PD Tinson...(KIA-2/6/1968--Hue City, RVN)

also, while stationed at MCAS Beaufort SC we setup operations (late '67-'68) at Paige Field on Parris Island to traing Army Helocopter Pilots from Fort Stuart (sp?), GA learn Touch & Go operations for their coming tours in RVN.......
    In 68 Skinner was Gunny Skinner, he was Our sDI for two weeks then went back to nam.

Got a question

I guess I'm just loosing it. Today at the Court House for the Memorial Day
    Ceremony I meet a Marine from the MCL and found out he arrived at PI on 4 July 1956, I got their on 15 Oct 1956. He remembers the "Yellow Foot Prints", I have no memory of yellow foot prints, maybe I was just too scared to look down or something, but I don't remember them. I looked thru my graduation book and they don't show up their. Anyone know if they were just in certain places or what? I realize that there are some things I have tried to forget about PI, but this wasn't one of em. When did they put them there and how in the world did I miss em?

Thanks for any help, I just need to know

Credits
    Savings
    There were no yellow footprints in 59 !! none.

Thanks Bruce, I thought I was (or had) lost it. Wonder how the Marine I talked to today saw em?

Well Bud I guess you can put your mind to ease. You're OK..it's the other guy that's nuts!!! Are you not glad that you are not senile?! I need to try and get down Memphis way visit with you. If I get a chance, I will email you.
    Semper Fi
    Bill H

Aug 4 1953 we stepped off the train to be greeted by DI 's screaming at us maggots to get on the bus. I was thinking what the helll have I got my sewlf into now. But on Oct 30 I was a proud PFC but I will never forget Pi. I went back to PI in 2003 to celebrate 50 years as a Marine. SF

Thread Information