Boot Camp now easy?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Boot Camp now easy?

I signed with the Army in 2003. I have 1 more year to go until I can switch to the Marine Corps.

I have been told that all military branches boot camp/basic training has been significantly reduced to lower standards. Along with a easier, less discipline, and less physical training.

In the Army we all know that ACU basic training is a joke now. 1st SGTs turn their heads as a private is failing his PT test, and continues to count.

I went through BDU basic training which was no walk in the park. I was told by many Marine friends that enlisted during the same time, that Marine boot camp was hell. I believe every word of it, and as though it seemed similar it also seemed like stress and intensity was x 2 of what I experienced.

Now I hear though, that even the Marine Corps has been enforced to empliment no stress, and no swearing regulations. Marines are born to kill, I better get the **** kicked out of me in boot camp.

Will I be dissappointed when I goto boot camp? To be honest with ya I want the **** kicked out of me mentally and physically. Can some new privates give me some fresh insight on the (new) boot camp?

Oops sorry for swearing.

This needs to be in the poolee hall or ask a Marine forum. We try to keep posts from prospective Marines confined to those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo View Post
    This needs to be in the poolee hall or ask a Marine forum. We try to keep posts from prospective Marines confined to those areas.
    I apologize, if a Moderator could move it that would be cool.

I graduated boot camp in Nov. 2006 supposedly around the time when a lot of these rules were implemented. The Drill Instructors may not be able to curse or beat the crap out of a recruit, but the Marine Corps Order specifically states that the only place hazing is allowed is in recruit training, and the Drill Instructors make full use of it. And training begins before you even got on the bus! What I'm trying to get at is stress is still extremely high, even with these new rules.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC Archer View Post
    I apologize, if a Moderator could move it that would be cool.
    Got you covered!

As to your questions, the difference is night and day! We are trained by Drill Instructors. And that's more than just semantics.

They only have 13 weeks to instill lessons that will last a lifetime. They use every waking hour to drive home harsh lessons.

You hit the yellow footprints as a mob of raggedy ass individuals. Then comes the painful process of becoming one cohesive unit that can do anything.

Every Recruits' Character and Heart must be tailored to be Always Faithful. If you get that, then for the rest of your life every Marine will be your Brother.

If you need a picture drawn for you take a look at this outstanding video:
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c5d_1217188288

There ain't no new Marine thats going to come here and tell you about the language their D.I. used or how their D.I. used to punch people in their nuts...nobody wants to get their Drill Instructors in trouble, so if that's the stories you want to hear, you won't get them.

Credits
    Savings
    You have some very interesting opinions for someone who is in the Army. Why don't you wait and tell us what you think about our boot camp after you complete recruit training.

I just graduated and honestly it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I think being 22 helped, as a lot of the just-out-of-high school recruits had a harder time being away from home and we had some really out of shape recruits but most of them did good and pushed themselves and one even lost 40 pounds. Honestly, I was hoping for more of a "hardcore"/psycho-drill instructor environment but I guess it's just part of the politically correct times now. Our drill instructors swore, but we couldn't. There were so many screw ups in my dang platoon it was really demotivating. Honestly, it was like most of the recruits just watched FMJ once and thought boot camp would just be some wacky summer camp with a rifle. Some kids never developed any sense of discipline and didn't even care or respect the uniform. They barely dropped anyone--I talked to one recruit who said he asked the SDI why they don't drop all the idiots/weak ones (how do you go all through boot camp without being able to do 3 dang pull ups!?) and he said it was passed down not to drop people because the Marine Corps needs bodies. So is it easy? I wouldn't say it's easy but I just really was hoping more of the old school-type boot camp that you always hear about.

Heat Index

I was at MCRD, San Diego last friday for the D.I. Association Reunion and when we were standing around waiting for the ceramony to commence at the D.I. Memorial. This very loud horn goes off and we all looked at each other, as we had never heard this horn during our day on the field. One guy said that the heat index was too high and all physical activity had to cease including COD.

I guess when this new breed gets to Iraq, there will be a horn and all physical activity will cease.

This is a loaded question on this site.....

Quote Originally Posted by USMC Archer View Post
    Will I be dissappointed when I goto boot camp? To be honest with ya I want the **** kicked out of me mentally and physically. Can some new privates give me some fresh insight on the (new) boot camp?

Of course it's easier then it should be, but that's not our fault. It's mother's of freaking America and weak azz MFers that cry to Congressmen or their mommies. Boot camp has been getting easier since 1956 -- the Ribbon Creek forced-march. Get ova it. The boot camp I went to was easier then the guys before me, and after I left it got even easier. BFD - Not my choice, but I ain't sweatin it cause I can't control that.

You can only disappoint yourself, it's all about your attitude. Given your experience; you should have no problem at boot camp, you should challenge yourself for the Company Honor Man and not look for ways to whine about how easy it is. Make it hard, shoot for the top spot.

Let me give you a little tip, boot camp is easy. BFD. If you want to get the crap beat out of you - then push on after boot camp. Boot camp is the basic indoctrination to our fine Corps, and military life in general.

It's not where the rubber meets the road, well, it might be the first place.

The real deal is when you get to the fleet. Then make something out of yourself, find the challenges and overcome them, don't just be a shiat talking wanna beee.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I had a reunion this past Labor Day weekend with a several of my friends from my unit. We all agreed that we believed that Marine Corps boot camp has gotten soft. I read an article a while ago where a platoon i believe at Parris Island had graduated a platoon of 80 something Marines. There's no way that many recruits are suppose to graduate in platoon of that many. We started with 65 and graduated 45. That's a problem

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darkgreen0311 View Post
    I had a reunion this past Labor Day weekend with a several of my friends from my unit. We all agreed that we believed that Marine Corps boot camp has gotten soft. I read an article a while ago where a platoon i believe at Parris Island had graduated a platoon of 80 something Marines. There's no way that many recruits are suppose to graduate in platoon of that many. We started with 65 and graduated 45. That's a problem

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!
    Yeah boot camp may be getting "easier" but it's still no rose garden. I agree 80 recruits is way too many to graduate out of one platoon. We started with 75 and ended with 57.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Of course it's easier then it should be, but that's not our fault. It's mother's of freaking America and weak azz MFers that cry to Congressmen or their mommies. Boot camp has been getting easier since 1956 -- the Ribbon Creek forced-march. Get ova it. The boot camp I went to was easier then the guys before me, and after I left it got even easier. BFD - Not my choice, but I ain't sweatin it cause I can't control that.

You can only disappoint yourself, it's all about your attitude. Given your experience; you should have no problem at boot camp, you should challenge yourself for the Company Honor Man and not look for ways to whine about how easy it is. Make it hard, shoot for the top spot.

Let me give you a little tip, boot camp is easy. BFD. If you want to get the crap beat out of you - then push on after boot camp. Boot camp is the basic indoctrination to our fine Corps, and military life in general.

It's not where the rubber meets the road, well, it might be the first place.

The real deal is when you get to the fleet. Then make something out of yourself, find the challenges and overcome them, don't just be a shiat talking wanna beee.
    RIGHT THE FREAK ON! I went to boot camp june 6 1997 and we were one of the last platoons to use the smoker(4x4 boxing ring) for combat hitting skills etc, towards the middle of bootcamp we were told we couldnt use "kill" in our movement ditty's and had to change it to "drill" wtf is that?? Our DI"S were hardcore and for sure took a hands on approach with us but thats why our platoon was #1

sadly boot camp is a joke now ,combat training has been replaced with 1st term marriage classe, fiscal management class, defensive driving classes etc-total BS-keep in mind these classes go on at boot camp. Too many ppl complain to their senators that they get cussed at or touched and those political pricks shut down our training.

Quote Originally Posted by THAT AINT IT View Post
    Yeah boot camp may be getting "easier" but it's still no rose garden. I agree 80 recruits is way too many to graduate out of one platoon. We started with 75 and ended with 57.
    we started with 78 and graduated with 49. Lost a ton during swim qual and rifle range

Thread Information