Boot Camp now easy? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreBlanks View Post
    I just graduated and honestly it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I think being 22 helped, as a lot of the just-out-of-high school recruits had a harder time being away from home and we had some really out of shape recruits but most of them did good and pushed themselves and one even lost 40 pounds. Honestly, I was hoping for more of a "hardcore"/psycho-drill instructor environment but I guess it's just part of the politically correct times now. Our drill instructors swore, but we couldn't. There were so many screw ups in my dang platoon it was really demotivating. Honestly, it was like most of the recruits just watched FMJ once and thought boot camp would just be some wacky summer camp with a rifle. Some kids never developed any sense of discipline and didn't even care or respect the uniform. They barely dropped anyone--I talked to one recruit who said he asked the SDI why they don't drop all the idiots/weak ones (how do you go all through boot camp without being able to do 3 dang pull ups!?) and he said it was passed down not to drop people because the Marine Corps needs bodies. So is it easy? I wouldn't say it's easy but I just really was hoping more of the old school-type boot camp that you always hear about.
    WTFlyingF???? I was there only a year and half ago and believe me, the way you describe it versus mine makes it sound like I went through the Vietnam Era boot camp. We started with like 68 and graduated like 55 or so and that was after picking guys up too. There were a lot of nasties who went away for failures and like 8 or so for "mental failures" I.E. Suicide threats/attempts, mother f'ers swinging at DI's, failing the Crucible, etc. I can't believe in just a year and half it has changed this much. ITB though was a joke, they pushed a lot of people through who I didn't even think should have claimed the title Marine. Damn, pretty wordy, but this bothers me, comparing what you have written versus mine and the apparent change in a year and half. Mind you these were both one platoon in one company, in one battalion, at one Recruit Depot at one time.

I don't think the term easy will ever apply to boot anyone who says it is or was is either a genetic and mental freak or has had a real bad childhood

That seems about right, on what he said.

Those who got dropped where those who couldn't shoot, or pass the PFT.

About discipline. You learn more when you're in pain. "Discipline through pain". D.I.s have their hands behind they're back.

I wasn't in the best of shape I would say average at best when I showed up. I knew the basics such as rank and some of the history. But I learned a whole lot while there and was in great shape when I graduated. My DI's were not nice men till we graduated, and they were honest, they told one kid at graduation that he was only a man in a green and tan suit not a Marine

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    They don't have the smoker anymore in boot camp? What about mess duty or guard duty?

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    I guess when this new breed gets to Iraq, there will be a horn and all physical activity will cease.

My buddy just got back from his 13 month deployment on a MTT and stopped in Al Asad on his way home. He said they drove in a POV to meet up with another guy they knew that had been stationed there his whole deployment. The guy was like "WTF" and they said "what?" Then their friend said "Its a black flag no one is supposed to be out driving or anything except key personell"

So yes some places in Iraq now won't let you be out if it's too hot lol. It was 138 degrees the day I left and me and the rest of my Marines were in humvees with no AC in full PPE. I guess some people just get the perks of being on a winger base.

Last edited by Brewer0311; 09-12-08 at 06:04 PM. Reason: freakin' grammar

Quote Originally Posted by USMC Archer View Post
    I signed with the Army in 2003. I have 1 more year to go until I can switch to the Marine Corps.

I have been told that all military branches boot camp/basic training has been significantly reduced to lower standards. Along with a easier, less discipline, and less physical training.

In the Army we all know that ACU basic training is a joke now. 1st SGTs turn their heads as a private is failing his PT test, and continues to count.

I went through BDU basic training which was no walk in the park. I was told by many Marine friends that enlisted during the same time, that Marine boot camp was hell. I believe every word of it, and as though it seemed similar it also seemed like stress and intensity was x 2 of what I experienced.

Now I hear though, that even the Marine Corps has been enforced to empliment no stress, and no swearing regulations. Marines are born to kill, I better get the **** kicked out of me in boot camp.

Will I be dissappointed when I goto boot camp? To be honest with ya I want the **** kicked out of me mentally and physically. Can some new privates give me some fresh insight on the (new) boot camp?
    I hope it isn't a rose garden.

Quote Originally Posted by RYDERKUR View Post
    WTFlyingF???? I was there only a year and half ago and believe me, the way you describe it versus mine makes it sound like I went through the Vietnam Era boot camp. We started with like 68 and graduated like 55 or so and that was after picking guys up too. There were a lot of nasties who went away for failures and like 8 or so for "mental failures" I.E. Suicide threats/attempts, mother f'ers swinging at DI's, failing the Crucible, etc. I can't believe in just a year and half it has changed this much. ITB though was a joke, they pushed a lot of people through who I didn't even think should have claimed the title Marine. Damn, pretty wordy, but this bothers me, comparing what you have written versus mine and the apparent change in a year and half. Mind you these were both one platoon in one company, in one battalion, at one Recruit Depot at one time.
    Well in that case I really wish I signed up a year and a half ago! I don't know--I just really was hoping for a real psychotic experience. I mean it's still different from other services--my brother and I were comparing Marine Corps boot camp with his Navy boot camp. You'll like this--we graduated with 84! There was 3 medical drops, 3 suicide attempts (with the razor head!? Puh-lease...), and 1 rifle range unq. God there were so many dirt bags I wanted to ask why they joined the Marine Corps. One kid was this fat sloppy tub a goo and all the way until the Final PFT he could barely get 3 pull ups. Once he got off his diet he went back to eating cake and all that trash. Several kids fell out on hikes, including a few that gave out and got to ride up the Reaper in the back of the truck.

So many kids just didn't get it it seemed like--no discipline or respect for themselves, the history of the Corps or the uniform. Always joking around and laughing, talking in formation/on-line, touching their faces, not caring for their uniforms. Honestly it really started to get to me after the Crucible after they gave us our Eagle Globe and Anchors, the second we get back to the squad by they start sitting on the foot lockers, hanging their heads down, all sorts of nasty crap. Being lazy because it's almost time to go home. One kid was even complaining about, "how much money they take from us!" It was really disheartening for me and the maybe 6 other recruits that actually put out all cycle.

Sgt. Vernazzaro/thewookie is right though--it's easy and that sucks for those that wanted the all out experience but make it tough on yourself and put out shoot for the top spot. That and once you're in the fleet put out and take the initiative to find the challenges and overcome them.

No, I hear you though bro. I was talking to Marines who said a kid got his Eagle, Globe, and Anchor in the F'in safety van on the hump back from the Crucible, and this is a true story verified by many different Marines. I mean, are you F'in serious, I could have swore the Crucible was the "final test," "forging of fire," etc, that HAD to be passed to graduate. During ITB, this same kid didn't make it even a mile, during the 15K hump. For you Geiger Tigers, he didn't even make it to the Wendy's, which is pretty damn close to the barracks and start of the hump. He rode that one and most of the 20K in the 7-ton. He did get dropped to the next company in ITB, but still graduated with the next company. If this isn't adding up, boot camp a year and half ago and then ITB with brand new Marines, I was a 92 Day Reservist. This disheartens me and I can hardly imagine what it is like to salties to hear of this nastiness that is becoming more prevalent and accepted. This isn't the Corps I want.

Quote Originally Posted by RYDERKUR View Post
    No, I hear you though bro. I was talking to Marines who said a kid got his Eagle, Globe, and Anchor in the F'in safety van on the hump back from the Crucible, and this is a true story verified by many different Marines. I mean, are you F'in serious, I could have swore the Crucible was the "final test," "forging of fire," etc, that HAD to be passed to graduate. During ITB, this same kid didn't make it even a mile, during the 15K hump. For you Geiger Tigers, he didn't even make it to the Wendy's, which is pretty damn close to the barracks and start of the hump. He rode that one and most of the 20K in the 7-ton. He did get dropped to the next company in ITB, but still graduated with the next company. If this isn't adding up, boot camp a year and half ago and then ITB with brand new Marines, I was a 92 Day Reservist. This disheartens me and I can hardly imagine what it is like to salties to hear of this nastiness that is becoming more prevalent and accepted. This isn't the Corps I want.
    Honestly, do you want people like that next to you in combat? I don't. One of our Drill Instructors flat out said, "You're ruining my Marine Corps." Not to mention we were booger platoon. I don't know if it's because so many kids were just out of high school or what, maybe it's different with the older-age platoons. But like another Drill Instructor said--one way or another the ones who just skate by under the radar and the ones who didn't learn a dang thing will get theirs in the fleet one way or another. Oh well.

That is very true, and I guess that is a good point to leave it at that. 'Rahhh and congrats brother.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0331 View Post
    we started with 78 and graduated with 49. Lost a ton during swim qual and rifle range

Started with 65,finished with 42.

Quote Originally Posted by mark king View Post
    Started with 65,finished with 42.

When the NAM was going hot and heavy, we would pick up 90 scum bags from receiving and graduation day 90 Marines stood tall in front of the Depot Theater. Could not drop any because Robert McNamara (Sec. Defence) said so.

About the beginning of third phase most of us had drafted up a short calendar on the inside back cover of our prac binders where it wasn't immediately visible to prying DI eyeballs, meticulously filling in each day completed. Eventually we were all counting days and the DI's even allowed for lively short timers cadence.

Many privates including myself said: you couldn't pay me enough to go back even one day in training.... "Well what if you got set back? "Well thats different and i don't even want to think about it! but i wouldn't willingly go back one day for X amount of $

If this mentality is prevalent then it may be an indicator boot camp is still hard enough on todays basic issue recruit

--->Dave

Yeah that irked me too--we had recruits making those dang calenders during Week 1 and counting down the whole way. Hello--YOU signed up to come here, why are you counting down days instead of focusing on training!?

Thread Information