Marine Captain From Md. Dies in Afghan Bombing

By Clarence Williams
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 11, 2008; A13

Marine Corps Capt. Jesse Melton III told his mother he had a bad feeling about his March deployment to Afghanistan, a sense that he would either be wounded or not return home to Maryland from his second combat tour.

Janice Chance said she asked her son if he wanted to try to get out of going, but he never considered it.

"He told me he would be wounded or wouldn't be coming home," Chance said. "He said, 'If I don't, I win, I'm going to be with the Lord.' "

The 29-year-old Randallstown native was killed Tuesday in Parwan province when the Humvee in which he was riding hit a makeshift bomb as he traveled between an outpost and his home base, his family and Defense Department officials said. Melton was assigned to the 12th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, and had been stationed in Okinawa, Japan, officials said.

His family described him as a Christian, devoted to his family, religion and the Marines who served under him. The Marines offered him the chance to serve his country after he had been deeply involved at Colonial Baptist Church, with youth ministries and missionary work.

"He was a servant leader. He served his men; he wanted to make sure his Marines were well taken care of," Chance said. "He said, 'I'm single and I have no children. I would take a bullet for my Marines if I have to.' "

Melton graduated in 2000 from Messiah College, where he served in the Marine Corps Reserve and completed officer candidate school, before he was commissioned as a second lieutenant. He served a tour in Iraq in 2005 and two tours in Okinawa before his deployment to Afghanistan, where he helped train soldiers in the Afghan army and patrolled villages.

"I'm going to remember his intoxicating smile, his pleasant attitude and positive spirit," said his sister, Army Capt. Jenine Melton, who said her older brother inspired her to join the military.

She said that they and their brother Joshua struggled after their parents divorced but that keeping active in church kept them from trouble.

"We were nerds, literally," Melton said.

The experience drove her brother to want to help others and to find a career with honor, the chance to lead and fight for the underdog, she said.

"It's painful," Melton said. "At least I know he's in a better place. He's gone to glory."

Ellie