Reserve or Active Duty Recon?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Reserve or Active Duty Recon?

My son is planing on joining the Marines and is going to sign a Reconnaissance contract. What are the pros/cons of recon active duty versus reserve?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PittsMom View Post
    My son is planing on joining the Marines and is going to sign a Reconnaissance contract. What are the pros/cons of recon active duty versus reserve?
    Thanks!
    Im not the most qualified to answer this question but he has to make it through the Recon indoc and the BRC (Basic Reconnaissance Course) after boot camp, which is supposedly one of the hardest military schools to go through. I also asked my recruiter if I can get a spot guaranted for the indoc on my contract when I enlisted and he said there was no such guarantees possible. You have to make it through boot camp and SOI then you volunteer for the indoc if you have a really high pft. Seeing that I am still a poolee I am just going off of what my recruiter said. Dont take this information to heart unless a Marine backs me up.

As far as I know we do not offer a recon contract. first he has to be eligible by test scores and be free of any problems physical or otherwise.

Then he needs to graduate boot and SOI. Recon will screen all of those eligible for them in SOI. I was made to take the indoc. As were everyone else in my class that were screened.

As far as active or reserve, the only real difference is going to be how much time he actually spends doing the job. 40+ hours a week or 40 hours a month.

Credits
    Savings
    He's already taken the ASVAB and qualifies for the job.
    I was wondering if he signs reserve would he be living at home or on a base?
    And also, does a reserve contract loose the GI bill?

Thank you both so much.

If he goes reserve he will live at home after schooling. But depending on where you live there may not be a recon unit around. So unless your close to Pendleton or Lejeune, I am not sure what is still around as far as recon units for the reserve

He's already taken the ASVAB and qualifies for the job.
    I was wondering if he signs reserve would he be living at home or on a base?
    And also, does a reserve contract loose the GI bill?

Thank you both so much.
    He still has to get through the one of the toughest schools in the military before he becomes recon.
    Marine Recon INDOC
    1st Force Recon's current "indoc" or RIP is a 48 hr. evolution. Previously, in order to even get invited to attend the indoctrination course, you must have between 3-4 years of experience in the field and should be scoring at least 285 on the Marine Corp PFT: As with any Special Operation units, you must be a stellar Marine with a near flawless record. Recently, the new program mentioned above will allow highly motivated new recruits a chance to attend RIP. As long as they are physically above average and are able to reach the scores above (275 enlisted – 285 officer) they can attend after bootcamp. Below scores represent a perfect 300 on the USMC PFT:

3 mile run (18:00min 100pts)
    20 pullups (dead hang) 100pts
    80 situps/2min. 100pts.
    You will be required to perform two obstacle courses in under 2:00 each time, swim 500 meters in full cammies in 17:00, and other fun water activities. 10 mile ruck with 50lbs pack in under 2 hours is also graded.

It helps to prepare months in advance with swimming at least 4-5 times a week. Wear cammies and fins at least once a week too. Minimum swim practice time should be an hour daily.

You will also be required to perform what is called a Level Test which is:

Max Push ups 2min.
    Max Sit ups 2min.
    Max Pull ups 2min.
    Max Flutter Kicks 2min.
    Max 8 Count pushups in 2:00
    Max scissors in 2:00
    Your calisthenics workouts should consist of the above exercises performed every other day for a total of 3-4 times per week. The day of PT rest will help your muscles recover and be able to gain more reps in two minutes. Also practice perfect form but do each of the exercises as fast as you can. Speed and endurance is your goal.

Running is also a major part of INDOC. You should run at least 4-5 times per week and perform a rucksack run once a week in order to prepare for the following:

Forced March (or "Hump") for 20 miles @ 4-5mph
    Rucksack Run 3-4 miles timed (with 50 lb)
    After repeating the Marine PFT again you get to interview with the Team Leader and Company CO/XO. You may physically make it but still not get selected. Usually, it is attitude and teamwork difficulties that get you rejected at this phase of INDOC.

Once selected, the Marines are assigned Recon Indoctrination Platoon. This is similar to going back to bootcamp. The Marines have only supervised liberty, physical training and classes at all time of the day and night at the Amphibious Reconnaissance School (ARS) in Little Creek, VA or Coronado, CA. Once the Marine finishes ARS, he is a Reconnaissance Marine.

He doesnt lose the GI bill if he is a reservist.

All a recon contract promises is that he will get a chance to tryout. It doesn't ensure he will ever be a reconman, because there is no way to know if he can hack it until they watch him try.

The active vs. reserve debate is the same for any job. He won't be as good if he is a reservist, but he can do other things he may want to do in addition to being a Marine. If there is a reserve recon unit near your home that is a possibility. If there isn't, then active duty would be his only option.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlw201 View Post
    He still has to get through the one of the toughest schools in the military before he becomes recon.
    Marine Recon INDOC
    1st Force Recon's current "indoc" or RIP is a 48 hr. evolution. Previously, in order to even get invited to attend the indoctrination course, you must have between 3-4 years of experience in the field and should be scoring at least 285 on the Marine Corp PFT: As with any Special Operation units, you must be a stellar Marine with a near flawless record. Recently, the new program mentioned above will allow highly motivated new recruits a chance to attend RIP. As long as they are physically above average and are able to reach the scores above (275 enlisted – 285 officer) they can attend after bootcamp. Below scores represent a perfect 300 on the USMC PFT:

3 mile run (18:00min 100pts)
    20 pullups (dead hang) 100pts
    80 situps/2min. 100pts.
    You will be required to perform two obstacle courses in under 2:00 each time, swim 500 meters in full cammies in 17:00, and other fun water activities. 10 mile ruck with 50lbs pack in under 2 hours is also graded.

It helps to prepare months in advance with swimming at least 4-5 times a week. Wear cammies and fins at least once a week too. Minimum swim practice time should be an hour daily.

You will also be required to perform what is called a Level Test which is:

Max Push ups 2min.
    Max Sit ups 2min.
    Max Pull ups 2min.
    Max Flutter Kicks 2min.
    Max 8 Count pushups in 2:00
    Max scissors in 2:00
    Your calisthenics workouts should consist of the above exercises performed every other day for a total of 3-4 times per week. The day of PT rest will help your muscles recover and be able to gain more reps in two minutes. Also practice perfect form but do each of the exercises as fast as you can. Speed and endurance is your goal.

Running is also a major part of INDOC. You should run at least 4-5 times per week and perform a rucksack run once a week in order to prepare for the following:

Forced March (or "Hump") for 20 miles @ 4-5mph
    Rucksack Run 3-4 miles timed (with 50 lb)
    After repeating the Marine PFT again you get to interview with the Team Leader and Company CO/XO. You may physically make it but still not get selected. Usually, it is attitude and teamwork difficulties that get you rejected at this phase of INDOC.

Once selected, the Marines are assigned Recon Indoctrination Platoon. This is similar to going back to bootcamp. The Marines have only supervised liberty, physical training and classes at all time of the day and night at the Amphibious Reconnaissance School (ARS) in Little Creek, VA or Coronado, CA. Once the Marine finishes ARS, he is a Reconnaissance Marine.

He doesnt lose the GI bill if he is a reservist.
    Wow Matt ,

you really know alot about Recon. Where did you learn all this cool info. When you went through boot camp or did you do any of this when you were in the fleet?
    I guess when yellowing deleted your first post you didnt understand what he mean did you ? Who cares , your probably so squared away you dont need to listen to a Marine on this site , hell you may not even have to go to boot camp . Thats how locked the f*ck on you are.

First off Force is no longer Matt and sit ups are gone as well, and I'd love to see the man that can sustain a 5 mile an hour pace with 50lbs for four hours. Marine Corps policy was 3 mph walk 50 minutes rest 10. Army Rangers and SF do 4mph but 12 miles is their goal not 15 like the Corps.

And both recon units I did live close to are gone. Reno was 4th Force, now a Sniper and Linguist outfit, and Bozeman MT was 4th Battalion and is now Anti Terror Battalion.

I swear I'm not going into any of these ricky recon type of threads anymore.....

I bet 1 out of 10, probably less -- of those "contract" reconners make it past RIP. And if you take all of those who make it past RIP (or whatever they call it these days, the 1st hazing session) say 10 of them in 100 make it past RIP. One out of those 10 - will be dual cool someday.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or burst any hard-charger, or soon to be hard-charger's day. And not to say this isn't a good thing for your son, or anyone, to take that contract. But I hope he is realistic and wants to be an Infantry Marine first. Cause if he's just going in on his first contract to get recon then he might be disappointed, they want SEASONED OPERATORS.

No doubt about that and even the hardest grunts aren't cut out for recon. Usually the smaller un assuming types flourish there, even though you do have some muscle heads as with any group.

His contract is just allowing him to tryout for a 0321 Recon man MOS.He must then pass a very tough school.He must then attend additional schools to achieve a 8654 MOS of Scuba and Paratrooper certified Recon man.Good luck to your son.

This is not a forum you are allowed to post on.That is why yellowwing our moderator deleted your first post.Now as yellowwing would say march yourself over to the poolee hall.

Thanks!

Oh and by the way,, thank you, and your son for joining. My comments were meant to be general in nature and reflect my frustration with the constant barrage of poolees and wannabees that think some documentary, or TV show they watched is anything like the real thing.

If he doesn't make it the first time: if he's worth anything it will only fuel the fire and someday if his heart is in the right place -- he MIGHT make it.

Whatever happens, he's got to be a Marine first.

Credits
    Savings
    Oh so if he doesn't make Recon would he be placed in another job?
    Or would he still be infantry?

Thank you all so much!

Thread Information