Asking for some advice from more experinced Marines
Create Post

Asking for some advice from more experinced Marines

First I would like to say I do not come from a military family. My mom has four sisters and out of there kids, I am the first to go into the military. I convinced my cousin he should join the military after he had nothing to do after high school. The only problem is he went Army National Guard. I started to hear all these great story's of him from the family about how he is this wonderful soldier and volunteering to go to Africa. He went to Fort Knox, Ky about five months ago. He is back in Alabama with a Uncharacterized Discharge. Apparently he got scared after hearing he was going to go to Iraq. This was from his Drill Sergeants and not from his actual unit. He told me it was because his girlfriend is pregnant and he didn't want to leave her so soon. So today I get a call on my cell from him. He now wants to join the Marines. I told him The Marines are too small of a brotherhood to even have a few quitters among us. We simply cannot afford it and if he could not make it through a few weeks of Army boot, how in the hell does he think he can become a Marine? I love my cousin and I hope for the best for him in life, but I don't know how I can get my point across to him. He beleives the Marines are no different from the Army and he would easily make it through this time around. Does he deserve a chance with the Marines with that mindset?

Credits
    Savings
    I would say everyone deserves a chance and hell half of boot camp is just having the balls to go, but once a 10%'er always a 10%'er. You would know your cousin better than any of us but once you have quit it gets a lot easier the next time and the next time, etc..

That is so true. He is only 19 and he has a lot to learn. "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" Well I cant make him drink but I sure can put his head in the water!

I went to boot with a lot of 21+ guys, they joined so late because they weren't ready at 18 or 19. He'll learn eventually, he'll grow up.

WhilI do believe it is possible for him to grow up and change, there is still the possibility that he won't, and his current discharge status may affect him permanently for re enlistment. Print all of these out and mail it to him so he can read first hand how we feel about our family.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewebe View Post
    WhilI do believe it is possible for him to grow up and change, there is still the possibility that he won't, and his current discharge status may affect him permanently for re enlistment. Print all of these out and mail it to him so he can read first hand how we feel about our family.
    I agree here, without knowing his RE code then you really don't know if it's even a possibility. I also agree with others in that everyone deserves a shot if they are willing to stand on the yellow footprints. Maybe he's got something in him that the Army and his peers there could not bring out. Maybe, just maybe, he's worth something.

There are only a handful of jobs/occupations/careers in life that bring out the best in a person.

I've always said,,, just about every terd is an azz kicking away from being respectable, it just depends on who and how the beatings are delivered.

The worst thing that happens is that he goes there and fails miserably, if he ain't got it in him you damn sure know they will find out, then you can really talk smack to him for life!

Yeppers, said very well

He's a ****bird from the git go. Let it stay at that!

Oh, no no no! Encourage him to go. You can be sure the DI's will make every effort possible in the Marine Corps to train him. You can't quit boot camp, unless somethings changed in the last 5 years. Let him get a taste of what life is like in an environment where "no" and "I can't" aren't options.

If he couldnt hack it in Army Boot, I wouldn't suggest him joining the Corps. I can't stand the 10%

Quote Originally Posted by YutYut View Post
    Oh, no no no! Encourage him to go. You can be sure the DI's will make every effort possible in the Marine Corps to train him. You can't quit boot camp, unless somethings changed in the last 5 years. Let him get a taste of what life is like in an environment where "no" and "I can't" aren't options.
    Sgt, you're right you can't really quit, but unfortunately the suicide/I'm going to go crazy is the quit ticket these days, as I'm sure they were in the past. Today though it seems like that is what I hear all to often, which is quite sad because I believe it takes attention and focus off of people who really might need the help.

MotorT -- People might surprise you with their "sudden" abilities when they're in an environment where they can no longer give up. If you're used to being able to easily give up on something, why change? It's so easy! But once in a situation where it's no longer an option, sometimes people find they have the constitution to follow through. The Marine Corps showed me that about myself. I was NOT a 10%er. That's one outcome, anyway...

RYDERKUR -- We had a recruit dropped to our platoon because he tried to hang himself in his rack with his sheets. After a few weeks of suicide watch with his old platoon, he joined us. He graduated with our platoon. He discovered a new source of motivation in Drill Instructor Sergeant Sanaguel(sp?). Quite possibly the most terrifying person/Marine/"thing" in existence to me. For the rest of my life, I will fear that man. Just saying, suicide is not always a way out in boot camp. I agree, though, that it detracts from the ones who truly need help.

My D.I's didn't put up with the suicide recruits and had them hauled away ASAP. In my opinion if he could not hack Army basic he is not going to be successful in Marine Corps Boot Camp. Maybe if he waits a few years and matures but by the time he will hopefully have changed his mind.

Thread Information