Soldier wanting to become a USMC Sniper. - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Roger.

Quote Originally Posted by TJR1070 View Post
    First of all "USMC Archer" you are not a Marine and we certainly don't have archers.
    My last name is Archer.

You are not USMC anything.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Let's be nice fellas. I'll go first.

Archer, you really do need to lose the USMC part of your handle. You may want to be a Marine, but you are not yet, and we are rather particular about it. Do that, and most of the hostility will ease.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC Archer View Post
    Thanks for the input. I am aware that I have to go through boot camp, and am actually glad. I think boot camp on top of my current physical condition will help.

Is recon the best guarantee to get into a Scout Sniper slot?

Also what is the swim qualification like?
    For one thing you haven't made it as a Marine and you're talking scout sniper.

I know you have to shoot 500 yards, and I have shot expert on the Army SAW range. I believe it was over 500 yards, but I know at the least it was 500 yards. Not that it is the same as a M-16, I am just saying.

I heard marines don't have pop-ups targets though. Is this true? Plus Army now has to kneel, which is easy IMO but alot of people struggle with the kneel.

The lowest I ever shot was at Basic Training 37/40. My DS tould me not to shoot at the 300s, and to save them for the others that I miss. Well at the end of the shoot I had 3 rounds left . Since then I have shot 40/40 everytime but once I shot 39/40. I really couldn't see shooting being a problem for me. I am more worried about the chances of being selected for INDOC, PT, and the Scout Snip. School in general. They say its a 30% drop out rate. Which at first you don't think its bad, then you realize that the guy who failed was a SEAL, Force Recon, or Some High Speed Infantry Marine which is a scary thought.
    Another rule here Marines or Marine will be capitalized at all times.

Credits
    Savings
    My last name is Archer.
    Listen "Army Archer" your motivation is commendable and will be needed to complete the tests that will make you a Marine. Your excitement over your possible career path within the Infantry MOS' is also a good thing that should be mentored. However casting uninformed opinions about our training and you're success within those schools is something that should be left to your actual performance. Instead of giving us a preview of your top of the class results, you should be using the search function, networking with other poolee's for the actual knowledge you will need to complete boot camp and picking the brains of Marines on this site who have been there, done that. Excitement is good but knowledge is power.

Marine Free Member RememberMorriso's Avatar
    Salt Lake City, Utah Not my falt new unit till deploy
    Credits
    Savings
    STA platoons still exist, they are in H&S. I am doing the indoc here shortly. My friend, Cpl Day is in STA and has told me all the info.

As for your question about join the Marines to be a sniper, dream on. Very small percentage of even getting a shot at an indoc. Also you have to be able just to qualify for it as well as the fact that you might not even pass the indoc or SS training.

So basically dream on.

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMorriso View Post
    STA platoons still exist, they are in H&S. I am doing the indoc here shortly. My friend, Cpl Day is in STA and has told me all the info.

As for your question about join the Marines to be a sniper, dream on. Very small percentage of even getting a shot at an indoc. Also you have to be able just to qualify for it as well as the fact that you might not even pass the indoc or SS training.

So basically dream on.

If you're in the reserves, they'll take just about anyone for the indoc. They wanted me to take it, I was like ummm no thx, the thought of laying in an area for days with worms biting off my D and crawling 3 inches per hour and defecating in my ghillie suit just somehow doesn't appeal to me?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The 15% drop rate is a sea story. Sniper school is one of a handful of MC schools that has no imperitive whatsoever to graduate anyone. If you actually get the quota and don't cut the mustard you are dropped period. If a certain class starts with 40 and only graduates 1 there will be no questions asked. That's the way it is. No recycle no second chance.

Thread Information