Soldier wanting to become a USMC Sniper.
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Soldier wanting to become a USMC Sniper.

I am currently in the U.S. Army Reserve. I am about to hit my 1 year left mark with the Army. The second my contract is up, I will be signing with the USMC Active Duty.

I would love to get some more information about the Scout Sniper MOS/School. All I currently know is that it is a selective MOS out of a Infantry Company for the most part.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC Archer View Post
    I am currently in the U.S. Army Reserve. I am about to hit my 1 year left mark with the Army. The second my contract is up, I will be signing with the USMC Active Duty.

I would love to get some more information about the Scout Sniper MOS/School. All I currently know is that it is a selective MOS out of a Infantry Company for the most part.

I am going to ****ing puke!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE, READ THE RULES AND THEN USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member

Your going to have to go through Boot Camp. If your in shape it should not be too much of a problem.

Your Recruiter can get you a 03 grunt MOS with a shot at Recon try outs. It is a try out and there are no guarantees.

Don't forget swimming!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Your going to have to go through Boot Camp. If your in shape it should not be too much of a problem.

Your Recruiter can get you a 03 grunt MOS with a shot at Recon try outs. It is a try out and there are no guarantees.

Don't forget swimming!
    Thanks for the input. I am aware that I have to go through boot camp, and am actually glad. I think boot camp on top of my current physical condition will help.

Is recon the best guarantee to get into a Scout Sniper slot?

Also what is the swim qualification like?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well Wing he just ignored my big red letters, is he exempt or something?

Read the rules doggie- you follow those and then we can talk.

Of course, all you're going to be told is to use the search function. We've covered this no less than 9394495485602894850392103854856054 times this week.

Quote Originally Posted by davblay View Post
    Well Wing he just ignored my big red letters, is he exempt or something?
    I filled out my profile, and used search. Just trying to get some inside information. Hell I even watched the history channel documentary on USMC Scout Snipers for an hour on here.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I filled out my profile, and used search. Just trying to get some inside information. Hell I even watched the history channel documentary on USMC Scout Snipers for an hour on here.
    Thank You!

Thanks for the input. I am aware that I have to go through boot camp, and am actually glad. I think boot camp on top of my current physical condition will help.

You don't need to go into recon to become a Scout Sniper. I'm not 100% sure of the process, but you'll need to be an Infantryman, then take the Sniper Indoc, which then you will be attached to STA platoon as a "Pig", which then you will train and deploy with your scout sniper platoon unless with your normal line unit. (don't know was it stands for) After you complete the Official USMC Scout Sniper School, you will then officially receive your Scout Sniper MOS - 0317 (used to be 8541)

Any scout snipers here, please let me know if I'm handing out any bum scoop.

Oh yeah, you'll have to go to boot camp, and you lose any rank you attained in the Army. So you'll go from SPC or SGT or whatever you were to Pfc (E-2).

Good luck

.....Hell I even watched the history channel documentary on USMC Scout Snipers for an hour on here.
    dude thats dedication....!heard tell them thare snipers often take an hour just to scratch an itch and pee

I had the pleasure (or shock, depending on how you look at it) to witness some of the Recon indoc swim qual....I honestly believe that there are Olympic swimmers that would have a hard time making it through....

There are no guarentees to a Scout Sniper "slot"....go the traditional way, 03XX (Infantry), if your Platoon Sgt feels you have a legit shot at it, he'll get you into the indoc....

Last edited by SupChf; 09-09-08 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling error

what was your mos in the army?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The young lad is asking a question about our beloved Corps and the smart replies such as "I am goin to ****ing puke" is out of line....
    First and foremost, you enter and complete boot camp as any other recruit. What ever your recruiter has told you or what you qualify for might change once you have completed your basic training. Depending on how well you do in tests that are given is of some value on what MOS you are assigned. Our son was assigned communications with his first duty station in 2nd Anglico. He repeatedly ask for "Force Recon" when he first heard of the "Brotherhood" that all Recon Marines kept talking about. Finally, he became a Recon Marine and served proudly until his death in a helicopter accident off the coast of San Diego, Calif.

Again, once you have completed boot camp, start requesting the change if you are not assigned to the unit of your choice.

Semper Fi

Cpl Starling, "Gold Star" Family

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by corky0566 View Post
    The young lad is asking a question about our beloved Corps and the smart replies such as "I am goin to ****ing puke" is out of line....
    First and foremost, you enter and complete boot camp as any other recruit. What ever your recruiter has told you or what you qualify for might change once you have completed your basic training. Depending on how well you do in tests that are given is of some value on what MOS you are assigned. Our son was assigned communications with his first duty station in 2nd Anglico. He repeatedly ask for "Force Recon" when he first heard of the "Brotherhood" that all Recon Marines kept talking about. Finally, he became a Recon Marine and served proudly until his death in a helicopter accident off the coast of San Diego, Calif.

Again, once you have completed boot camp, start requesting the change if you are not assigned to the unit of your choice.

Semper Fi

Cpl Starling, "Gold Star" Family
    Cpl, I noticed that you were wearing the old HARD STRIPE CPL E-3 in your profile photo. You went in the Corps in year prior to when My brother, The Gunny, did!

Semper Fi,

Dave

Thread Information