Soldier wanting to become a USMC Sniper. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My profile picture was taken in Okinawa in early 1960, after we had won the Island Championship in Flag football. I believe at the time, I was a Lance Corporal....

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by corky0566 View Post
    The young lad is asking a question about our beloved Corps and the smart replies such as "I am goin to ****ing puke" is out of line....
    First and foremost, you enter and complete boot camp as any other recruit. What ever your recruiter has told you or what you qualify for might change once you have completed your basic training. Depending on how well you do in tests that are given is of some value on what MOS you are assigned. Our son was assigned communications with his first duty station in 2nd Anglico. He repeatedly ask for "Force Recon" when he first heard of the "Brotherhood" that all Recon Marines kept talking about. Finally, he became a Recon Marine and served proudly until his death in a helicopter accident off the coast of San Diego, Calif.

Again, once you have completed boot camp, start requesting the change if you are not assigned to the unit of your choice.

Semper Fi

Cpl Starling, "Gold Star" Family

WRONG!

Too start with, no profile. Oh, is there one today? Well bless him!

2ndly, this topic has been raised a kajillion times, AND, if the SEARCH button were used, answers would be given.

BUT, it is soooooooo much easier to ask, as iffen you are the 1st to come up with such a provocative and compelling question.

Also, Semper Fidelis to you and thanks for your service, as well as that of your Son.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Yo Big Al...

Maybe the young lad is not as "gifted" as you are on a computer. All in all, he still didn't deserve the reply he received. Lead and ye shall find followers....Semper Fi, Brother, and I really mean that....

Cpl Starling

Ok gents, back to the task at hand. The good Captain (MyCorps) posted a sticky regarding Scout/Snipers on the POOL(ee) Hall section. Check that out for some good info.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

YutYut...

Been there, done that....

Wow...What the f*ck is the point of even having a place where someone can ask a question and a Marine can answer it. I swear , every time I come on here , every time any kid asks a question , its" Oh wait , let me get the popcorn" or "Oh God here we go again" , or "OH my God I think IM going to vomit" , Dammn. If you want to answer a question answer it. If you dont STFU.
    Maybe since the last time since the question was answered maybe the answer has has changed. Maybe theres better intel. You are supposed to guide and instruct. Now Ive been guily of jumping a kid on here too but damn. Not every f*cking time. For example when some jackass asked should he practice eating MRE's. Wow . Thats a fu*king retarded question. If a kid wants to know how he can get better to become Recon well thats not a bad question. Answer it. or dont.
    Bottome line , if you have a question ask it. If you dont , oh well dont answer it. No matter how many times its been asked kids will continue to ask . Its called youth . They want to be Joe Recon, Ricky Ranger , Doc Highspeed or whatever name you want to call it.
    This is how I feel . I dont care if you are offended or you think this may or may not pertain to you . This is for poolees to ask questions.

ECHO 5 ROMEO OUT.

Ok I have served in both the ANG and the Corps, the range is drastically different. First off you need to shoot expert as in the Army to qualify, but the Corps isn't fond of the average expert, you need about 235 out of 250 to be a real candidate. The STA platoons are apparently no more so you need to consider a recon unit. Get used to using your M16 at 500 yards instead of 300. As far as I know the rest is basically the same for school. The Snipers I knew in the Guard were very competent. So field craft and such should be at least similar.

And Outlaw I agree

Credits
    Savings
    I agree also.

I also agree that the rules should be followed.

Don't the rest of you?

... or is the answer, STFU?

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalling View Post
    what was your mos in the army?
    I am a 31B combat support.

AKA Military Police Convoy Security/Convoy Patrol.

I know you have to shoot 500 yards, and I have shot expert on the Army SAW range. I believe it was over 500 yards, but I know at the least it was 500 yards. Not that it is the same as a M-16, I am just saying.

I heard marines don't have pop-ups targets though. Is this true? Plus Army now has to kneel, which is easy IMO but alot of people struggle with the kneel.

The lowest I ever shot was at Basic Training 37/40. My DS tould me not to shoot at the 300s, and to save them for the others that I miss. Well at the end of the shoot I had 3 rounds left . Since then I have shot 40/40 everytime but once I shot 39/40. I really couldn't see shooting being a problem for me. I am more worried about the chances of being selected for INDOC, PT, and the Scout Snip. School in general. They say its a 30% drop out rate. Which at first you don't think its bad, then you realize that the guy who failed was a SEAL, Force Recon, or Some High Speed Infantry Marine which is a scary thought.

Credits
    Savings
    First of all "USMC Archer" you are not a Marine and we certainly don't have archers. Second, the way the Army qualifies with a weapon is completely different than the way we qualify. There are no sandbags to support the weapon and we have two rates of fire both rapid and slow. We have four different shooting positions that you will have to master to even begin thinking about qualifying expert and we have three different distances that are mandatory to fire from not an option.
    Third, Scout/Sniper school is one of the most competetive school in the Marine Corps and draw alot of intrest from some very qualified Marines some of whom don't make it through the course the first time and that's not because of the range most of the time. Distance recognition, weather adjustments and military target recognition are some of the more difficult parts of the course.
    Fourth, my advise to you is to start preparing yourself for boot camp which will be the first hurdle you will have to overcome to succeed with your plan and then don't forget about SOI which is no joke. Prior service is no guarantee to completeing either one.

The Army rifle range is totally different from the Marines.

I believe the Army use automated targets which pop up. You are relatively close to the targets like 25-100 yards but the targets are modified in size to represent different distances (200, 300, etc); please correct me if I'm wrong. They shoot unsupported and supported (sand bags). I honestly think it's super lazy (compared to the USMC Range, working the pit, humping from 200yds to 500yds, etc).

I was also told that you just have to hit the target to get points, so you can hit the very edge of the target and get a point without getting close to the center.

Research the Marine Corps Rifle Range and qualifications to get an idea of what to expect. We have 4 tables, I've only shot table 1 and 2. Grunts I believe shoot 1-4.

Quote Originally Posted by TJR1070 View Post
    First of all "USMC Archer" you are not a Marine and we certainly don't have archers.

That is too funny

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the protecting my flank, Outlaw....

Cpl Starling

Thread Information