Okinawa - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by Chamorro View Post
    Camp Courtney was a nice quiet post in '68-'69. But had to ride cabs to & from BC St and Gate 2 St for the party spots. Sakahachi Alley was famous back then. Times have changed and so have the attitudes of the locals with the military. Take Care.

Was the exact same at Courtney, 74-75.

I was the MAG-36 S-6 up until late 2013 on MCAS Futenma, prior to that I was an XO and 2ndLt with Marine Wing Communications-Squadron 18. Okinawa is AMAZING, you will absolutely love it (as long as you keep yourself out of trouble). Okinawa (right now) has a big problem with Spice (the psuedo-marijuana) as the illegal market for it out in town is very big. During my time in Okinawa I had to ADSEP 13 Marines (from E-2 to E-5) for Spice and drug use. Stay out of the "buy-me-drinkee" and "soap bars" because they are frequented by MANY PMO and officers and Marines / Sailors / Airmen are caught all the time.... Not really a good time to get caught because relations with the local Okinawan's and the US Military has hit an all time low (futenma has protests outside its main gate every day).... So as long as you keep out of trouble the island is amazing...food is amazing... and the Scuba Diving is AWESOME (just stay away from the box jellyfish) .... Get some CoCO's and take a Japanese language course... you will LOVE OKINAWA

Anyone know the cost of a Table Dance/Lap Dance in Kinville lately ? S/F

Was at Schwab both times I was there. I did a year with the 4th marines scout plt. in '89 and went with 3/7 in '93. I really enjoyed being there. Although I did party a lot, Schwab was far enough away from Kinville that I never got that much out of control. Best shape I ever was in. The island is beautiful, the locals were tolerant of us and the weather was mild. Spent a decent amount of time in Korea because of being there, and Korea was something special. Still my favorite country I ever went to. All time I spent in the corps, other than time spent in Okinawa, was spent around the Persian Gulf- which is why I remember Oki so fondly. All the posts about making the best of it are true. What I can say is, if you drink, don't drink too much, take in all you can there and keep your head on a swivel. More than likely you won't ever travel there again and you will regret it if you don't get a feel for the place other than the E-clubs and bar districts.

I was there June/1980-1983 at Camp Foster and luv every minute of it....I'd go back if I could....A lot of training there if you want it....I enhanced my training the whole time I was there....I volunteer for everything and had a blast.....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Was there a July 79 to June 1980. Yeah I got a month cut off The Rock. MASS-2 Futenma was my favorite Duty Station.
    Except for the days down in the barracks through 6 typhoons.
    Good thing I liked C Rations.

^^^Was there that same time (first tour). MWHS-1 Camp Foster/Butler area. Worked at the 1st MAW headquarters building (Wing Adjutant's shop) Camp Zukeran on the hill near the main PX.

Thread Information