Very New...Not A Spouse.
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Very New...Not A Spouse.

Hi there!!!

My future Marine is leaving Monday...and...I'm lost. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. We haven't been together too terribly long...but....I'm pretty sure we're sticking together for quite a long time.

He's headed to Parris Island and I know he'll mail me when he gets there so I can start writing him letters...and so far I've learned I can send him basic handwritten letters or cards from hallmark....I've heard debate about pictures, (I ONLY MEAN CLEAN ONES) some people say they can't have them, some say they can, some say it depends on the drill instructor...

Pretty much anything anyone can tell me about boot camp and life thereafter...would help.

I've got Air Force family....so...I know nothing about the Marines. At all. You cannot possibly give me too much information.

There is a tremendous amount of information on this site. You should also try RecruitParents.com. My son started the Crucible this morning at PI. Good luck with your recruit.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Welcome Aboard Courtney! Letters are big thing in MCRD. Keep writing to your Marine, it really does make a world of difference. I do believe pictures are allowed, just don't try to send candy or cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Welcome Aboard Courtney! Letters are big thing in MCRD. Keep writing to your Marine, it really does make a world of difference. I do believe pictures are allowed, just don't try to send candy or cookies.

Yep, already got that note. But I heard you can send things like tylenol and icy hot? Yes? No?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkCowgirl View Post
    Yep, already got that note. But I heard you can send things like tylenol and icy hot? Yes? No?
    NO! He has all he needs now. Just keep in touch with him.

NO! He has all he needs now. Just keep in touch with him.
    Gotcha. So...stupid question...but can I send TOO MUCH mail? Seriously....I write a LOT....like...there's a good chance I'll be sending him something at least every other day. And then there's his mom and brothers and other friends too. Should I limit myself...or?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Can never send too many notes. My mom sent one every day when I was in back in '83.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkCowgirl View Post
    Gotcha. So...stupid question...but can I send TOO MUCH mail? Seriously....I write a LOT....like...there's a good chance I'll be sending him something at least every other day. And then there's his mom and brothers and other friends too. Should I limit myself...or?
    Boot Camp is very restrictive. There is almost zero free time for the 13 week duration, so don't take it too personally if your recruit is not able to return as much mail as you send him. That said, with so little free time, letters from home are VERY appreciated. Keep in mind that any pictures you send to him may be viewed by others, so if you are shy, you should keep pictures to a minimum and clean. If you are not shy, his new companions and DIs will be glad see those pics too. The only personal space is the inside of a footlocker, which is pretty full with the items issued to him, so anything other than mail is usually in the way. If he's got a fav sports team, make sure to send him updates.

Also, I'm sure you are planning to attend his graduation ceremony. Don't miss that opportunity!!!

Good luck to you both!
    C

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    Boot Camp is very restrictive. There is almost zero free time for the 13 week duration, so don't take it too personally if your recruit is not able to return as much mail as you send him. That said, with so little free time, letters from home are VERY appreciated. Keep in mind that any pictures you send to him may be viewed by others, so if you are shy, you should keep pictures to a minimum and clean. If you are not shy, his new companions and DIs will be glad see those pics too. The only personal space is the inside of a footlocker, which is pretty full with the items issued to him, so anything other than mail is usually in the way. If he's got a fav sports team, make sure to send him updates.

Also, I'm sure you are planning to attend his graduation ceremony. Don't miss that opportunity!!!

Good luck to you both!
    C
    I've already got the sports thing covered. No worries. Thanks for all the info. It helps.

Howdy Pink. Do not send any form of medication even if it is over-the-counter. Medical will give him what he needs, when he needs it. Everyone is correct. Every Recruit looks forward to mail call. The more mail he gets the better. Always keep your mail upbeat and informative. Let him know what's going on, especially if you live in a small town. Wait for him to let you know about pictures and "treats" before sending. Every platoon is different. Give him support and he'll be just fine.

There are a lot of good Marines on this website that will give you accurate information. Don't be afraid to ask!!!

Take care,
    Kurt

Welcome Aboard,you Can Never Send To Much Mail.pictures Are Allowed But Do Not Send Him Any Icyhots Or Tylenol.like The Other Marines Have Stated Do Not Get Offended If Recieve As Much As You Send Because He Will Be Limited On Time To Write You.

Thanks everyone!!!! I'm looking forward to learning more about the Marines as my guy becomes one.

I'll live if he can't write me, I understand he's got very limited free time, but it will make me feel better knowing I'm lifting his spirits and keeping him going.

I've got a ton of funny stories to tell him, things he doesn't know about me, and several friends that want to write him as well. My goal is to make him smile and laugh and keep it positive.

Thanks again!!

Welcome you came to the right place. Pictures are allowed they can't deny the mail. But Keep in mind the DI's will put you on the Hog Board. It doesn't matter what you look like, they still call it the hog board. My mom sent pictures of a friend of ours who was a female bodybuilder and boy did I get crap over that. Good luck to you and your recruit and feel free to ask whatever

sEND HIM 1 STICK OF CHEWING GUM!!!!!

Oh yes the Hog Board.....that brings back some memories.........Didn't know they still do that......

Thread Information