Ft. Leonard Wood Travel Plans ?
Create Post

Ft. Leonard Wood Travel Plans ?

I am wanting to fly out to MO and visit my son while he is at Ft. Leonard Wood for his MOS. What is the best airport to fly into and how far of a drive to the base? Hotels? Thanks, Dave

Sir in another thread you said that your son was going to be recon. They do not train at Ft. LW. You might be traveling to either, Lejune or Pendleton.

He is at LeJeune at this time. He told me of the Force Recon last Sunday. You could be correct? I was planning on going to MO but this was before Force Recon? Hmmmm...I better not make any travel plans yet I guess. He was going to try and call next Sunday but he said the Sunday after next he will have 4 hours of liberty. I will wait until I talk with him. Thank you very much, Dave

Not sure if you are still trying to go to Ft Leonard Wood, but I can let you know more next week. I am flying to St Louis, it was easiest from Phoenix, on Thursday. If he does end up at Ft Leonard Wood, there doesn't appear to be much there...I am staying close, but taking him on a journey to go to Six Flags on Saturday with a couple of his buddies...I can hardly wait! My eldest is doing his MOS there currently...my youngest is at Lejeune now, and loving his Unit. We may meet one day :o)

Thanks. He is in Leonard Wood as we speak. I am flying out next month. I fly from Tampa to Chicago to St. Louis and then to Ft. Leonard Wood. He says it's a beautiful place but froze the first night he arrived....46 degrees !!! Dave

I wish he knew my son, I would have taken him with us to Six Flags next Saturday :o) I am going to freeze when I am there...since I moved back to this country, I haven't even worn a coat yet, and being in Scottsdale, I haven't needed one at all...lol lol I will try and blaze a trail for you and find stuff for us to do as parents. Have a great weekend. Mon

Here's a good link for local info: http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynam...wood.army.mil/

Dave

Thanks for the link. I can't wait to leave on Thursday!

Not sure if im to late.

Anyways. I just left Ft. Leanord Wood. Assumming your flying. I was suggest looking into Springfield airport. Airfairs are usualy cheaper through springfield, and its a little closer to Ft. Leanord Wood. If your not renting a car .A cab from St. Louis is expensive. Especially if you get a normal cab that charges by the time. Get a cab company from the St. Robert area. There Generaly $175 for a 1 way trip. It will cost more then that from a normal fair cab. Like I said. Springfeld is a little closer, the its a little cheaper. Not really sure what the price is from there.

Heres the number to a few companys.
    Checker Cab 573 336 2220
    Yellow Cab 573 336 5777
    Post Cab 573 336 0111--- Obvously by the name, this is the cab company that runs on post. All the other's can still bring you right on post, just can't pick you up there. These are the only three that I really delt with. There are some more, but I don't have there numbers. I would highly suggest calling ahead of time to set it up with them so you don't have to deal with the St Louis Companys.

Been to Ft. Lost in the Woods. Nothing to do around there. Best way to go is to fly into St. Louis. Flying in to Springfield is a little more expensive. Best way to get to the base for St. Louis is to rent a car.

Ft Lost in the Woods....the memories. There certainly is not a lot to do there, but there are things to do within driving distance. There is a drive through zoo on I-44 between Ft Leonard Wood and Springfield. It is amazing. Buy some food when you go in and toss to the animals. Take a good camera. But...don't get out of your car around the llamas....they just may come after you. I will also that the hunting and fishing (if that's your thing) is great!

Hey Everyone! I am back! Had a great time, and yes, you are all correct...not much to do. Had a really nice visit with my son, took him and two other Marines to Six Flags on Saturday and had a blast. They were so funny. I flew in to St. Louis and rented a car. It seemed to be easier for me, I am used to going to strange places on my own. I stayed at the Red Roof Inn in St Robert, it was really close to the gate to the base. Clean and pretty cheap, my son had rented hotel rooms with his friends and he said the Baymont is really nice too. Went bowling, drank, shot pool and chilled out. I really really really appreciate the Marines and the Marine Bases, after my trip. Thanks for all your suggestions. I am looking forward to booking my next trip to Lejeune for my youngest. You are all amazing!

Thread Information