Are your parents against you? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It does not matter if your Grandfather served, Grandmother served, father, mother, brother, sister or who ever you know served or serves. The only thing that matters do you want to do it and have what it takes to serve. Nobody can make this for you, only you can make the choice to join. Your the one that is going to have to push your self and earn it, nobody can do it for you. You have to give 110% to the Corps to earn the Title Marine. Freedom is Not Free, there is a Price there always has been. Since 1775 Marines have died in War and peace for your everyday Freedoms, there is more to the History of the Freedoms you have.

Semper Fi

Remember that this man wants nothing but the best for his son. That's the bottom line. He thinks that by berating your choice you will somehow be the 8 year old little boy looking up to him and he will once again be your idol. Somewhere in a dads life, their sons start to idolize other men, pro ball players, Marine recruiters, coaches, and dad is left with his as* hanging in the wind. The words he uses are just that, words. Do not answer with anything other than, Dad, I respect your feelings and I appreciate you sharing them with me, and leave it at that. As has been said, when you turn 18, you have free agency to make your own choices. But do you really want to graduate from MCRD and not have your dad there? Let it go, as time gets closer to your 18th birthday start the conversation over again. This time don't start with "I dont care what you say...." start with "This is the decision I have made after much thought and research and I really hope that you will back me on it."

When I told my parents I was joining the Marines it was like a something out of the blue for them. Back when I was in high school, I was going to join the army, but my dad had talked (more like guilt tripped me) out of it, so he must've thought military service was something I had forgotten about. Then one by one it seemed people I had known were joining up with the Marines (Including one of my best friends, he's down at Parris Island right now). When I told him, we got into a big argument that ended with me storming out of his house. He did some research, talked to some people he knew that were in the Marines, and realized this is the best decision I could make. Surprised the **** out of me, he's real stubborn about a lot of things and it only took him a week to change his mind. My Mom though I think is still trying to deal with it, but even though she doesn't like it, she's going to support me all the way.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Marines and Pooles,

Thank you for giving me insight. I understand why my father does not want me to join. He thinks that I will hate the Service because he did. I keep telling him that the Marine Corps is a brotherhood and the term "Semper Fidelis" is not just a term, but a way of life that is lived by every member of The Corps. One day, he will be proud. He will see me in Dress Blues and he will know I made the right decision. I tell him "I don't want to be the one to tell my kids I didn't serve my country in its time of need". He doesn't understand what I mean. He think I have been brainwashed. My mother is the same way, 17 years in the Navy and she is wholly against me. But as I said, one day they will both be proud.

Thread Information