Are your parents against you?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Are your parents against you?

"I have a couple thoughts concerning you thinking you want to be a marine mortar man---->I think some slick, smooth talking Marine recruiter over time somehow romanticized and convinced you America needs your services in that realm, whereby the only true thing he is thinking about is his quota to sign people into that service.
    Warfare in the 'Marine' hand to hand way is truly antiquated and will soon be obsolete due to the advances in technology.
    I guess what I'm saying is it is a dead end street and you can serve your country in many other ways.
    Don't fall for a professional recruiters line of s-it...Also take the time to actually go to the VA ( see the wounds) and talk to a mortar man as there is really nothing there other than to prove you are a macho man and can make it through basic. Then you have the right to visit every hell hole in the world surrounded by the low i.q. ghetto boy's and the ones the judge sentenced to be a Marine---Not a good crowd to be around.
    You can prove yourself in other ways----run a marathon, volunteer at habitat for humanity or just be a good citizen or something...."

"As I said there are many ways to serve your country and stay within the realm of reality. For someone to pick 'mortar man' as a career path in the Marines hints at a need to prove something and/or a complete disconnect on the reality of the job. I'd rather have a gay ballerina dancing son who plays piano in a *****house than a frickin cro-magnon jarhead...
    Look into homeland security with the Coast Guard, in this manner you are definitely serving the USA and getting a return in transferable skills and you wouldn't be visiting the hell holes of the world fighting the ancient idiot jihad boys, it would be much more fun and serving to kill them when they come near our coastline.
    You have plenty of time to explore your career path and no pressure as there always is 'a time of need'. Just take a look at history..It always seems to be the politicians need and the citizen's who carry the burden. (in most cases)"

"You have 2 years of high school left so I really do not see a need to make such decisisions at this time, the marines will take anybody on a weeks notice as nobody wants to do that nasty antiquated job.
    It is also puzzling to me how you could make such a dceision concerning an organization and it's tactics and mission when you really could not have any way of knowing either. (other than the recruiter B.S. and the 30 second hollywood snippets)
    If sweeping houses seems like a romantic career path or helping America in it's time of need I think by the time you arrive those things will no longer be in force due to the political climate. (Who in there right mind would want to seep houses in a foreign land??)
    I have a right to talk about the Marines as I was with the Fleet Marines in Guantanamo Bay Cuba and also had some 'jarheads' on the aircraft carrier.
    I hated their tactics with dealing with their own men.--->>First they broke them down physically and mentally then supplanted all of what a 'Marine' supposedly is and when they came out they were mind controlled robots who would do anything they were told which equates into an idiot who thought they were bad.
    Live your life now and finish High School first and get off the macho military bull****---as an upcoming junior you should not even be having this discussion unless of course you want to falsely show off or make waves???? i.e pull your head outta your ass and look at all the possibilities..."

These are some emails I received from my dad. I really don't know what I should say back. He doesn't understand my reasons for wanting to serve in the Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
    "I have a couple thoughts concerning you thinking you want to be a marine mortar man---->I think some slick, smooth talking Marine recruiter over time somehow romanticized and convinced you America needs your services in that realm, whereby the only true thing he is thinking about is his quota to sign people into that service.
    Warfare in the 'Marine' hand to hand way is truly antiquated and will soon be obsolete due to the advances in technology.
    I guess what I'm saying is it is a dead end street and you can serve your country in many other ways.
    Don't fall for a professional recruiters line of s-it...Also take the time to actually go to the VA ( see the wounds) and talk to a mortar man as there is really nothing there other than to prove you are a macho man and can make it through basic. Then you have the right to visit every hell hole in the world surrounded by the low i.q. ghetto boy's and the ones the judge sentenced to be a Marine---Not a good crowd to be around.
    You can prove yourself in other ways----run a marathon, volunteer at habitat for humanity or just be a good citizen or something...."

"As I said there are many ways to serve your country and stay within the realm of reality. For someone to pick 'mortar man' as a career path in the Marines hints at a need to prove something and/or a complete disconnect on the reality of the job. I'd rather have a gay ballerina dancing son who plays piano in a *****house than a frickin cro-magnon jarhead...
    Look into homeland security with the Coast Guard, in this manner you are definitely serving the USA and getting a return in transferable skills and you wouldn't be visiting the hell holes of the world fighting the ancient idiot jihad boys, it would be much more fun and serving to kill them when they come near our coastline.
    You have plenty of time to explore your career path and no pressure as there always is 'a time of need'. Just take a look at history..It always seems to be the politicians need and the citizen's who carry the burden. (in most cases)"

"You have 2 years of high school left so I really do not see a need to make such decisisions at this time, the marines will take anybody on a weeks notice as nobody wants to do that nasty antiquated job.
    It is also puzzling to me how you could make such a dceision concerning an organization and it's tactics and mission when you really could not have any way of knowing either. (other than the recruiter B.S. and the 30 second hollywood snippets)
    If sweeping houses seems like a romantic career path or helping America in it's time of need I think by the time you arrive those things will no longer be in force due to the political climate. (Who in there right mind would want to seep houses in a foreign land??)
    I have a right to talk about the Marines as I was with the Fleet Marines in Guantanamo Bay Cuba and also had some 'jarheads' on the aircraft carrier.
    I hated their tactics with dealing with their own men.--->>First they broke them down physically and mentally then supplanted all of what a 'Marine' supposedly is and when they came out they were mind controlled robots who would do anything they were told which equates into an idiot who thought they were bad.
    Live your life now and finish High School first and get off the macho military bull****---as an upcoming junior you should not even be having this discussion unless of course you want to falsely show off or make waves???? i.e pull your head outta your ass and look at all the possibilities..."

These are some emails I received from my dad. I really don't know what I should say back. He doesn't understand my reasons for wanting to serve in the Marine Corps.
    He's just Jealous, just tell him your Reasons why you want to enlist. Or just wait until your 18 and Enlist and trust me Things will Change. I know people who had Parents that were completely against the thought of joining then my friend went and joined and now the parents are all gunghoe about it.

1. Why DO you want to join? Everyone has their own reasons.
    2. Is your dad prior service Navy?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot37 View Post
    1. Why DO you want to join? Everyone has their own reasons.
    2. Is your dad prior service Navy?
    1. I want to be part of something great. I want to honorable serve my country, I do not want to be the one to tell my kids I didn't serve when my country needed me. I want to prove to myself that I can be one of the elite few.

2. Yes, he was a FMF Corpsman.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Choose your own life. The best thing about this gig is Free Will.

My Dad never said that to me but pretty much say "It's my life if this is what I want to do I'm going to do it. If your with me or against me thats your choice but things would be a lot better if your with me." My dad was in the Army and he HATED it. He is always telling me go to college don't join the Military your going to hate it. I told him just because he was in the army and he hated it that doesn't mean I'm going to hate the Marines. That he lived his life and I want to live mine. He backed down since then and when I told him I am going to college I have his support now so pretty much you just have to talk to him. set him straight.

lol. My father did 8 years and my grandpa was a Corpsman in Vietnam, and they both think it should be mandatory for males to serve this country for at least one term. Im thankful they agree with me rather than send me emails like that. Fvck that.

He is your father he does not want you in harms way. But the decision is truly yours and yours alone.

My dad is retired 4 years Army and 21 years Coast Guard, my Mom 4 years Coast Guard, and my Grandpa is 8 years retired Navy and was in veitnam.They all stand behind my decision to join the Marines to the point where my dad constantly grabs me and says he is proud of me, and me and my Grandpa acually have something to talk about together.

But really, dont let your dad discourage you from what you really want to do.

My dad is super proud of me decision. At first he was against it, he would always say "You're young, you don't know what you're talking about." He would always tell my mom "He'll get over it, don't worry" My mom in the otherhand "He's serious blah blah"

The day my recruiter stepped inside my house to pick up my social, birth certificate, etc. And told my parents i was going to sign my contract. (they knew about it before hand but they thought i was kidding) They were shocked. About a couple of days later they were all proud of my decision, telling their friends at work, getting USMC flags, Bumper stickers. And all sorts of stuff.

Trust me, they'll be against it always but its your choice. Sign with their consent or sign when you're 18. they'll end up being proud of your decision.

My dad thought I was crazy to be a mortarman. But he's always supported me even though he doesn't understand. Your dad is just scared, in the Marines you'll never be alone, he doesn't understand that.

Tell him that he's welcome to come talk to us too, the majority of us aren't "cro-magnon" retards like he insinuates.

He is a parent... he doesn't want to see his child in danger.

You need to remember, it's your life, and your decision whether to join or not.

It Is Your Life And Your Decision To Make Once Your Eighteen.Just Remember That He Loves You And Doesn't Want To See You Hurt.As A Parent I Can Understand That,however It Is Your Choice Not His.My Son Is Fifteen And Is Already Stating That He Wants To Serve And When The Time Comes I Will Worry The Same As Your Father.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Tell your Dad he can kiss my ENTIRE a$$!

I don't get your dad, he was a Corpsman and is against the Marines? What basis does he have for calling Marines "mind controlled robots"? I've never seen another Marine as a robot. If we were all 'robots' then no Marine would ever get get in trouble. You wouldn't see anything on the news about what this Marine did, or the Pendelton 8, ect. Marines are the best, but we're still human, we still make mistakes, "robots" wouldn't make mistakes. And as far as an antiquidated service, take a look into history, the Marine Corps has always adapted far quicker than anyone else to the changing times, technology, and warfighting styles. Adapt and overcome. That's why the Marine Corps is STILL the best, and will always BE the best. Ultimately though, this is YOUR decision, and yours alone. You need to weigh the pros and cons of what you want to do with your life and if the Corps is what you want, then go for it, and don't let anyone stand in your way. Your parents will stand behind you, even if they don't like the decision at first. The Marine Corps is a slightly higher risk job than most things, and as a parent I can see your dads concern, so understand that he's concerned about you too, and he's seen what can happen to Marines first hand.

Thread Information